Now we hear from Mexico

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mbw
Posts in topic: 1

Now we hear from Mexico

Post by mbw »

U.S., Mexico bicker over weapons ban that expired in '04
By STEWART M. POWELL

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau
Dec. 19, 2008, 8:52PM

WASHINGTON — A senior U.S. law enforcement official said Friday the Bush administration never assessed whether a decade-long assault weapon ban had reduced the flow of high-powered guns into the hands of Mexican drug gangs.
"I don't think we've ever really tracked it," said William McMahon, of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Since the expiration of the ban in 2004, Mexican drug syndicates have built up their stockpiles, Mexican officials say. They have long maintained that the weapons — many bought in Texas and smuggled into Mexico — have escalated the country's drug-fueled violence that has killed more than 5,400 people this year.

U.S. officials, by contrast, have insisted that the overriding challenge is to stem the relentless flood of illegal narcotics to American users.

The controversy flared Friday when the U.S. secretary of state and the Mexican foreign minister appeared at a joint news conference.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the ban's expiration had no bearing on Mexico's violence.
"I follow arms trafficking across the world, and I've never known illegal arms traffickers who cared very much about the law," Rice said. "And so I simply don't accept the notion that the lifting of the ban somehow has led arms traffickers to increase their activity."

But Mexican Foreign Secretary Patricia Espinosa said authorities in her country would favor restoration of the ban.
"If on the U.S. side there were a legislative decision to adopt an initiative like that, we would obviously be very attentive to that," she said.

Gun rights' groups suspect that President-elect Barack Obama may try to revive the ban on some automatic weapons. Obama's transition team listed "making the expired federal assault weapons ban permanent" as one of the goals of the incoming administration.

Rice and Espinosa met to coordinate implementation of the first phase of the Merida Initiative. The three-year, $1.4 billion U.S. assistance program was crafted by President George W. Bush to help Mexico combat the drug-smuggling gangs.
Of the initial $400 million due Mexico under the Merida Initiative, $340.2 million has been cleared for distribution.
But timetables for equipment procurement and spending schedules mean that none of the direct assistance has reached Mexico so far, said a State Department official speaking on condition of anonymity.
stewart.powell@chron.com

Thank You Condi Rice!
Last edited by mbw on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

flb_78

Re: Now we hear from Mexico

Post by flb_78 »

Mexico should build a fence and patrol it to keep guns out of Mexico.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lodge2004
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lodge2004 »

:banghead:

I like Condi.

I don't care what Mexico thinks of our laws. They don't respect them anyhow.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

McMahon is flat-out wrong. the National Institute of Justice did two studies, one in 1999 and one in 2004 that found that the AWB had essentially no impact on crime.
Byron Dickens

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

bdickens wrote:McMahon is flat-out wrong. the National Institute of Justice did two studies, one in 1999 and one in 2004 that found that the AWB had essentially no impact on crime.
I agree it had NO impact in the US, but I believe they are saying they never tracked if the AWB had an impact on crime in Mexico.

A more complete statement from the BATF would have been something like:

"I don't think we've ever really tracked it, but then again, why would we? If Mexico is concerned about the smuggling of illegal products into their country they should control their border." said William McMahon, of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Lodge2004 wrote:
bdickens wrote:McMahon is flat-out wrong. the National Institute of Justice did two studies, one in 1999 and one in 2004 that found that the AWB had essentially no impact on crime.
I agree it had NO impact in the US, but I believe they are saying they never tracked if the AWB had an impact on crime in Mexico.

"I don't think we've ever really tracked it, but then again, why would we? If Mexico is concerned about the smuggling of illegal products into their country they should control their border." said William McMahon, of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
There you go using common sense again. This is the BATFE we're talking about. Please try to keep up.
NRA lifetime member

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

flb_78 wrote:Mexico should build a fence and patrol it to keep guns out of Mexico.
:iagree:
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Who gives a rat patoot whether or not any law in the US has any affect on Mexico except whether or not a huge impassable wall is built.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

If Mexico had no drugs to export, there wouldn't be anything for the cartels to fight over. The end.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

KC5AV wrote:
Lodge2004 wrote:

There you go using common sense again. This is the BATFE we're talking about. Please try to keep up.
:iagree:

I'm tellin' ya....this has just got to STOP! :mrgreen:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

FIFTY

Post by FIFTY »

Gun rights' groups suspect that President-elect Barack Obama may try to revive the ban on some automatic weapons.
It really bothers me that the media cannot wrap their minds around what exactly a new ban would prohibit. There has been a lot of talk about a new assault weapons ban. One would think that, after all this coverage, more news papers would have learned the difference between an automatic and a semi-automatic gun. It's the same people that assume that just because a rifle looks scary it is most certainly fully automatic.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Mexico has strict gun laws. Their violent crime rate is a direct result of their public policy.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Furyataurus

Post by Furyataurus »

I say we make a trade with Mexico. We send back illegal's and they send back the guns and ammo to be auctioned off. :mrgreen:

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

f Mexico had no drugs to export, there wouldn't be anything for the cartels to fight over
If people in the U.S. didn't do dope, Mexico wouldn't have a market for drugs. Now, that's the end root of the problem. Like Pogo said, "I have seen the enemy, and he is us."

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

If dope wasn't illegal in the U.S., Americans could just grow their own...

I don't smoke the reefer, but I've had a room mate or two who did. I've seen alcohol have much worse effects than pot. Alcohol causes more car wrecks, fights, etc. than weed ever could. I'd personally be all for legalizing it with the stipulation that any crimes committed while under the influence be punished more severely. Call me naive, but I believe this would cut down on drug violence considerably, and cut into the drug dealer's pockets. DEA could then focus on more dangerous drugs like coke and meth.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”