Obama Lincoln link?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Duck_and_Cover
Posts in topic: 1

Obama Lincoln link?

Post by Duck_and_Cover »

First, this is not about race, it is about people keeping their word. That is the only intent.

Since the media is always comparing Obama to Lincoln following statements scare me. :rules:

(In his first inaugural address in early March 1861, just a month after the Southern states seceded and formed the Confederacy; Abraham Lincoln sought to assure slaveholders that they had nothing to fear from his administration.)

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists," he said. He then added a personal note on the question of slavery, as he had done during the 1858 Illinois Senate race. He assured slaveholders that "I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/11/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then at a campaign rally in Lebanon, Va. Obama said:

“I don't want any misunderstanding when you all go home, and you're talking to your buddies, and they say, "Aw, he wants to take my gun away." You've heard it here; I'm on television, so everybody knows it. I believe in the Second Amendment. I believe in people's lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away. ... There are some common-sense gun safety laws that I believe in. But I am not going to take your guns away. So if you want to find an excuse not to vote for me, don't use that one. ... It just ain't true.”

Source: http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/d ... o_ban.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bpet

Re: Obama Lincoln link?

Post by bpet »

And you know, I didn't use that one. I found 10 or 15 other good reasons not to vote for him. :patriot: :patriot:
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

My dog has more in common with Linclon than Osama - I mean Obama - does
Byron Dickens

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

Obama appears to see himself as a modern day Lincoln.

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

IIRC, Lincoln only freed the slaves in the south, after the south had seceded, but gave them 100 days to quit their "rebellion" and rejoin the Union. If they rejoined, they could keep their slaves... Kinda like saying, "Slavery's ok, as long as you belong to my government". Sounds a lot like, "Only police and military should have guns". Makes me wonder, since my first thought at heavy anti-gun measures is that Texas would secede, but if history serves as a road map... I'm sorry, but Unintended Consequences has me thinking funny thoughts.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

The idea that anyone would perceive a comparison between themselves and Lincoln is an honorable thing would be an indication to me that such a person is one I would not count as a friend. If there is an actual Lincoln/Obama congruency, then our new POTUS is worse than I thought he was.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”