Senate panel on Guns and Terrorists. May 5

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
douglasmorris99
Posts in topic: 1

Senate panel on Guns and Terrorists. May 5

Post by douglasmorris99 »

Hello folks, First post I think, been lurking off and on.
I found this and want fellow gun owners to know Bloomburg is getting to visit DC and decry private gun ownership in one form or another.

lets all keep an eye on this nonsense....
http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/index.cf ... c0dd65d02d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Senate panel on Guns and Terrorists. May 5

Post by kalipsocs »

Bloomberg, Sheriff from LA, Senator from New Jersey, a Representative from New York....hmmm wonder how this is gonna go. Luckily a senate hearing is quite useless minus supeona(sp?) power and threat of purgery. I'm sure that some senator could use it as basis from legislation, but I would say that given the buy up in 2008 and a dodgy mid-term election for dems anyway I am not worried....at the moment.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

If the Dems/Obama decided to go after 2A rights,
they wouldn't even need to wait for the next elections
to get spanked.

There would be such an uproar from the NRA and other
2A friends that any further restrictions on our rights would
be immediately rebuffed by the citizenry.

Bill Clinton acknowledged in an interview that Al Gore
probably lost at least 5 states due to the Assault Weapons
Ban of <1994?>

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

kalipsocs wrote:Bloomberg, Sheriff from LA, Senator from New Jersey, a Representative from New York....hmmm wonder how this is gonna go.
Sounds like the Senate invited terrorists to speak.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

Actually, Rep. Peter King (R) of New York, whose district is part of Long Island, is a pretty hawkish guy. Of course, his previous ties to the IRA might be what got him on the panel. Well, that or his seat on the Committee on Homeland Security in the House of Reps.

His personal stance on guns seems a bit schizophrenic (from ontheissues.org):
Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
Voted YES on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
Rated D by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record. (Dec 2003)

Then there's this gem on his house webpage. That stupid Frank Luntz poll that says the NRA supports gun control:
http://www.peteking.com/NRASupportsKing ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I don't know what to think... :headscratch
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kalipsocs »

UpTheIrons wrote:Actually, Rep. Peter King (R) of New York, whose district is part of Long Island, is a pretty hawkish guy. Of course, his previous ties to the IRA might be what got him on the panel. Well, that or his seat on the Committee on Homeland Security in the House of Reps.

His personal stance on guns seems a bit schizophrenic (from ontheissues.org):
Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
Voted YES on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
Rated D by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record. (Dec 2003)

Then there's this gem on his house webpage. That stupid Frank Luntz poll that says the NRA supports gun control:
http://www.peteking.com/NRASupportsKing ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I don't know what to think... :headscratch
Look at the company he keeps. Birds of a feather...

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Washington Post article on the hearing:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03670.html

To the Post's infrequent credit when the subject is gun control, they actually quoted an opposing viewpoint:
Speaking against the proposed legislation at the hearing was Aaron Titus, privacy director of a Washington-based group called the Liberty Coalition. He said the group "takes no official position on 'gun control' per se," but that "we are very alarmed at legislative attempts, though well-intentioned, which strip away individual constitutional protections."

He said in prepared testimony that the bills in question "strip citizens of their enumerated constitutional right to bear arms without any meaningful due process and create a national firearms registry."

The committee "should not spend time debating whether to take away terrorists' guns, bombs, cell phones, cars or other instruments of terrorism," Titus said. "If a person is a dangerous terrorist, then he should be thrown in jail." He added, however, that the proposed Senate legislation "is based on the assumption that all individuals on terrorist watch lists are terrorists," an assumption he argued is impossible to check.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”