Questions being asked to new Marine

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Questions being asked to new Marine

Post by TexasGal »

It sure did get everybody's attention. I imagine it will turn out to be just a misunderstanding. However, if we pass laws like the Patriot Act that take away constitutional protections from those accused, or even just suspected, then an oath to uphold the constitution would be in conflict with law from the get go. Which would be obeyed? :confused5
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

There is a Marine recruitment office nearby. I'm going to go ask them up front. That would be better than a 3rd party report. Basically, if your story is true, recruits are being asked if they would have a problem with violating the U.S. Constitution.

I would hope that the answer the Corps is look for is, "Heck YES I would have a problem carrying out an unconstitutional order!" Remember, recruits take an oath upon enlistment. That oath says:
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
EDITED TO ADD: I wrote the above this morning, and then spent all day in meetings before just getting home and actually posting it. I see that everyone else has pretty much covered it.

Belay whatever I said.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Give me the city and or better yet actual recruiting station. I can have an un official answer in 24 hours.. And if it feels wrong, an official statement from the Military in,, well as long as the interviews and investigation takes..

For the record.. This is not a new E rumor. It has been posted on several boards I contribute to....Though it morphs from My fiends son, to my grand son, to my daughter, etc etc etc
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Please tell me I don't have to get my tin foil hat out of the trunk in the attic again :waiting:

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

bronco78 wrote:Give me the city and or better yet actual recruiting station. I can have an un official answer in 24 hours.. And if it feels wrong, an official statement from the Military in,, well as long as the interviews and investigation takes..

For the record.. This is not a new E rumor. It has been posted on several boards I contribute to....Though it morphs from My fiends son, to my grand son, to my daughter, etc etc etc
Morphing is almost always a sign of an internet myth. And this story certainly smells like one.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

A-R

Post by A-R »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Did I ever tell the one about the time there was a Squid, a Jarhead and a Zoomie walking down the street...

No??? Heck, I figure one of our brother Ground Pounders in the Army would try to set us straight or something... "rlol" :smilelol5: :thumbs2: :tiphat: :patriot:
You military guys sure do talk funny :headscratch

But we love ya anyway ....

:patriot: :txflag:

:tiphat:

:cheers2:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I suspect that this thing is just a misunderstanding.. Although its been decades ago and in the Army not the Marines, I recall a simular discussion during my Basic training. The issue they were attempting to drum into our mushy young skulls, was that there are certain circumstances where it is our duty to disobey a direct order. I suspect that is what was going on here.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Purplehood »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
Not You wrote:I too am a veteran, 22 1/2 years USAF and I took my oath and still consider it my duty even though I am retired. But like I said in my original post and reiterated later, he was asked this after taking his oath so I don't know if he was still at the MEPS station or if it was in Boot Camp. Let me go ask the guy for more details. BRB.
Thanks...We'll await your report...

You know whats funny about all of this...

Here we have some senior movers and shakers from at least three branches trying to figure this out...

Did I ever tell the one about the time there was a Squid, a Jarhead and a Zoomie walking down the street...

No??? Heck, I figure one of our brother Ground Pounders in the Army would try to set us straight or something... "rlol" :smilelol5: :thumbs2: :tiphat: :patriot:
I was a Jarhead and a Doggie, myself...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Purplehood »

Kythas wrote:Marines? Oh, you mean the Navy's Army! :leaving :evil2:
OMG. Pls ban this guy! :totap:
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

baldeagle wrote: Morphing is almost always a sign of an internet myth. And this story certainly smells like one.
True, but this also happens with nearly all stories that get passed around.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I was Army but not a ground pounder, thank you very much. Airborne!

FWIW, there was a survey that came out in Stars and Stripes (IIRC) approximately 25 years ago, where in a colonel had surveyed his command (anonymity guaranteed) if they could obey an order from the CIC to take up arms against a rebellious population like it had occurred in the war between the states. The possible answers, again working from a Swiss cheese memory, were yes, no and "I would ally with the citizenry."

The majority chose the latter a close second was "no" and a very, very scant few selected "yes". Unfortunately, this was in a clipping (yes on paper) that was sent me by a friend and I can't seem to locate an internet reference to it. So take it with a grain of salt.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

PArrow
Posts in topic: 3

Post by PArrow »

I'd rather blow the whistle and be laughed at latter rather than sit and watch to find out it's true too late. If it turns out to be a false alarm then people get a little retraining on inappropriate statements, no harm done.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
--Thomas Jefferson

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Purplehood wrote:I was a Jarhead and a Doggie, myself...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Am I fired? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”