Poll - Little Shop of Horror

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll - Little Shop of Horror

Post by LarryH »

UpTheIrons wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I don't know what "IRL" is,
IRL means "in real life", I believe.
"Indy Racing League" was the only other meaning on the first page of my google search, so UTI is likely correct.

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Poll - Little Shop of Horror

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I saw an interview with Ellen Degeneres in which she was talking about why she became a vegan. The interviewer asked if it was about animal rights and Ellen responded by saying, "Animal rights sounds like they're about to get the right to vote." They settled on the term animal welfare.

Considering Ellen's own very public stance on what she believes are rights, I thought this was an interesting distinction for her to make.

I think that the concept of human rights, civil rights, legal rights, etc have become quite confused in the last few decades to where "rights" means anything to anyone and nothing to everyone. We hear about a right to free speech from the press regularly, but saying the phrase "right to keep and bear arms" makes a person seem like a right wing nut job. I don't agree with it, but I can see why a NY journalist avoided that terminology, as if quoting the constitution is biased and politically slanted, but referencing culture as a reason is neutral and unbiased. It is an interesting mindset. I think some PR work is in order for the constitution.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”