Poll - Little Shop of Horror

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bdickens
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll - Little Shop of Horror

Post by bdickens »

They never heard of Heller up in NY? I mean that was almost two years ago. Surely the news has made it that far by now, what with the internet and all.
Byron Dickens

jester

Post by jester »

They should build a wall around the place to help keep out freedom.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

Somthing isn't making sense here. Handguns are banned in NYC. With handguns banned there can't be any gun crime. What am I missing? NYC and Chicago are the 2 safest places in the country with their gun bans. Hmmmmmm...... :headscratch

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

mikeintexas:

Here's what you're missing:
Handguns are banned for law-abiding citizens only.

The criminals are allowed to keep on being criminals.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Hoi Polloi »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:mikeintexas:

Here's what you're missing:
Handguns are banned for law-abiding citizens only.

The criminals are allowed to keep on being criminals.

SIA
But they couldn't possibly be criminals if they didn't have those horrible Georgians feeding them their contraband! :roll:
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

duns

Post by duns »

I voted but we are now down to 43%.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I didn't like the poll answers.

Personally, I would keep a close eye on the place and see if this is sheer coincidence based on the volume of guns that are sold by the store or if the guy really is doing something "bad". All you can do as a BATFE investigator is parse the numbers, follow the lead and see if there is any substance to the rumors.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

81aggie

Post by 81aggie »

Purplehood wrote:I didn't like the poll answers.
:iagree: The answers are phrased in such a manner as to pose a choice between "getting rid" of crime or preserving culture and history. It would be a much more honest approach to just make it Yes or No, no qualifiers. Polls are almost always slanted toward proving support for the particular point of view that the pollster or organization commisioning the poll wants to put forth. I voted just so I could see where it stood and at this time it's 62% in favor of banning and 38% against. Hard to believe that this is a true representation of the sentiment toward gun ownership, but then again one must remember that this is on a NYC newspaper website.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

81aggie wrote:
Purplehood wrote:I didn't like the poll answers.
:iagree: The answers are phrased in such a manner as to pose a choice between "getting rid" of crime or preserving culture and history. It would be a much more honest approach to just make it Yes or No, no qualifiers. Polls are almost always slanted toward proving support for the particular point of view that the pollster or organization commisioning the poll wants to put forth. I voted just so I could see where it stood and at this time it's 62% in favor of banning and 38% against. Hard to believe that this is a true representation of the sentiment toward gun ownership, but then again one must remember that this is on a NYC newspaper website.
I didn't bother voting, having read the results posted here so far. But the wording of the question is even more fundamentally dysfunctional than simply rendering it as a crime versus culture issue. Notice that the word "Rights" doesn't appear anywhere in that question or the possible answers?

And by the way, just to draw a comparison to other "hot button" issues that motivate liberals and conservatives, has anyone noticed that the very same people who want to illegalize guns in other states as a means of controlling their own state, tend to be the very same people who want to legalize "unconventional" behaviors such as gay marriage in their own states, and then force the legality of that onto other states.

I'm not trying to debate "gay marriage" or any other hot-button issue here. I'm simply pointing out that their view of personal liberties is very distorted and one sided, and they are as hypocritical as anyone else - despite their self-perceived high minded idealism.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

81aggie

Post by 81aggie »

Yes there is no reference to "rights" in either the question or the answers, but I think most people will see the question and answers through the prism of their own political beliefs. Those on the left tend to think of the Constitution as a living, breathing document and of a person's rights being granted by those in power therefore an individual's "rights" can change or be modified to fit what they feel is beneficial to society. Those to the right of the spectrum believe more along the lines of rights deriving from a higher power, not the federal government. Thus reducing crime by banning the posession of evil firearms carries the potential of a greater good for society than preserving the culture of "Wild West" America, and to heck with anyone's rights. I voted in the poll only because I was curious to see what kind of results it was producing and I have to say that given that it is a NYC paper I am not surprised at the way it is going.

As to the comments on the other "hot-button" issues, good point. I hadn't thought of it this way but I think it goes along with what I said about how people see the world as influenced by their beliefs. Reminds me of the post going around the Internet about liberals and conservatives, when a liberal doesn't like something he wants it made unavailable to everyone whereas a conservative will just refrain from participating in the activity himself and let others decide for themselves. With 300 million-plus in this country I don't think we'll ever run out of opposing viewpoints but it does serve to keep things interesting.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

The Annoyed Man wrote: And by the way, just to draw a comparison to other "hot button" issues that motivate liberals and conservatives, has anyone noticed that the very same people who want to illegalize guns in other states as a means of controlling their own state, tend to be the very same people who want to legalize "unconventional" behaviors such as gay marriage in their own states, and then force the legality of that onto other states.
No. I haven't noticed that. However, many of my IRL friends are live and let live types, and don't think the government should deny civil rights by inventing victimless crimes to harass citizens.

I do notice a lot of luke warm gun owners online who want to protect their own interests but then turn around and support restrictions on others' gun rights on subjects as varied as campus carry to open carry to reciprocity to Class 3 to whatever else is outside their little comfort zone.

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

I think this poll is rigged. I just voted and it said 36% for guns. Maybe they have subtracted all the texas votes and kept the ones they liked.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bayouhazard wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: And by the way, just to draw a comparison to other "hot button" issues that motivate liberals and conservatives, has anyone noticed that the very same people who want to illegalize guns in other states as a means of controlling their own state, tend to be the very same people who want to legalize "unconventional" behaviors such as gay marriage in their own states, and then force the legality of that onto other states.
No. I haven't noticed that. However, many of my IRL friends are live and let live types, and don't think the government should deny civil rights by inventing victimless crimes to harass citizens.

I do notice a lot of luke warm gun owners online who want to protect their own interests but then turn around and support restrictions on others' gun rights on subjects as varied as campus carry to open carry to reciprocity to Class 3 to whatever else is outside their little comfort zone.
I don't know what "IRL" is, but I agree that people tend to pay attention to their own rice bowl with little regard to what happens outside of it, and I am a died in the wool social conservative. But that's really besides the point here. This poll is about something that is an enumerated right in the Constitution, and yet the basis of the answers ignores that it is a right. Most of those social issues are not enumerated rights, but fall more under the more generalized "pursuit of happiness" (of which positive results are not Constitutionally guaranteed, by the way).
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I don't know what "IRL" is,
IRL means "in real life", I believe.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”