Lubbock Federal Court to hear handguns for 18-20 year olds.

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Lubbock Federal Court to hear handguns for 18-20 year olds.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

The NRA is challenging federal laws that prohibit law-abiding Americans 18-20 years of age
from legally purchasing a handgun through a federally licensed firearm dealer.

The case was filed Tuesday evening in the United States District Court for the Northern District
of Texas Lubbock Division.

James D'Cruz of Lubbock, TX is the plaintiff in this case. The case is D'Cruz v. BATFE.

*********************************************************************************************************************

The above news release was in an NRA email that I received.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

CaptWoodrow10

Re: Lubbock Federal Court to hear handguns for 18-20 year ol

Post by CaptWoodrow10 »

I am extremely interesting in how this is going to turn out.
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber CDP II

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

Yep, I may try to make arrangements to actually go hear the arguments in this case. Anyone in the Lubbock area wanting to co-ordinate in this effort? I need to talk to my buddy who is an FFL as the NRA is looking for FFLs and people interested in getting a CHL/Handgun while they are under 21 for this effort.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Hoi Polloi »

How many different ages of majority do we have in our country?

IIRC, these are just a few...
Young teens can be certified and tried as adults and not as juveniles.
16 to drive unaccompanied
17 to join the military
18 to vote and be tried as an adult
21 to drink alcohol
24 to be considered independent of one's parents for federal college grants and loans
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

G. A. Heath:

Since it just got filed recently (9/7/2010?), it may be quite some
time until you are able to attend the hearing.

Whoever finds a date on this, please post on this thread.

Thanks.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

Doesn't matter for me, I live only 60 miles from Lubbock and I know which building the case will be heard in, I have had Jury duty in that location.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Barbi Q
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Barbi Q »

Hoi Polloi wrote:How many different ages of majority do we have in our country?

IIRC, these are just a few...
Young teens can be certified and tried as adults and not as juveniles.
16 to drive unaccompanied
17 to join the military
18 to vote and be tried as an adult
21 to drink alcohol
24 to be considered independent of one's parents for federal college grants and loans
17 to be tried as an adult in Texas (without certification)
Various ages to give valid consent, depending what one is consenting to.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Good point, Hoi.

During WW II, it was 18, 19 and 20 year olds who piloted the U.S. bombers and fighters in our war against the Boche. If the 18, 19-20 year olds of yesteryear could pilot a B-17 full of bombs to their target and back while fighting off hordes of Luftwaffe ME-109's; surely to goodness, today's 18, 19-20 year olds are responsible and mature enough to walk/ride around with a loaded handgun containing a dozen or so cartridges?
Last edited by Oldgringo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CaptWoodrow10

Post by CaptWoodrow10 »

Oldgringo wrote:Good point, Hoi.

During WW II, it was 18, 19 and 20 year olds who piloted the the U.S. bombers and fighters in our war against the Boche. If the 18, 19-20 year olds of yesteryear could pilot a B-17 full of bombs to their target and back while fighting off hordes of Luftwaffe ME-109's; surely to goodness, today's 18, 19-20 year olds can walk/ride around with a loaded handgun containing a dozen or so cartridges?
I whole-heatedly agree, however those who support the current age requirement would say that times have changed and today's 18, 19 and 20 year-olds aren't as responsible as those of yesteryear.
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber CDP II

Tallinthesaddle

Post by Tallinthesaddle »

Now that's great. If you can fight for our country when you are 18 at least you should be able to own a firearm. I don't believe the Lubbock paper even mentioned this. I will like to see who is going to be on the opposing side when it begins. Lubbock is a Pro-Gun City with a supporting mayor.

Douva
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Douva »

EDIT: I agree with Charles that this discussion has reached a point where it would be better kept out of the public forums.
Last edited by Douva on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rm9792
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rm9792 »

During WW II, it was 18, 19 and 20 year olds who piloted the U.S. bombers and fighters in our war against the Boche. If the 18, 19-20 year olds of yesteryear could pilot a B-17 full of bombs to their target and back while fighting off hordes of Luftwaffe ME-109's; surely to goodness, today's 18, 19-20 year olds are responsible and mature enough to walk/ride around with a loaded handgun containing a dozen or so cartridges?
Have you met todays kids? in general they have been turned into spoiled helpless idiots by the govt and school system. The kids of WW2 were a lot more mature than todays batch. I have a good example here at the house. 13 yr old girl in advanced classes but cant do basic life stuff and falls up the stairs! I do agree that the law needs to draw a line in the sand on the age of majority, 18 or 21. I prefer 18 for previous posters reasons but still think they may not be ready in general.

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

It should be pointed out that an 18 year old can already legally purchase a handgun in Texas from a private seller. As long as that remains legal (and I'm not saying it shouldn't), I don't see why they shouldn't be able to purchase one from a licensed dealer. At least then they get a background check.

Brian

Razgriz
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Razgriz »

rm9792 wrote:

Have you met todays kids? in general they have been turned into spoiled helpless idiots by the govt and school system. The kids of WW2 were a lot more mature than todays batch. I have a good example here at the house. 13 yr old girl in advanced classes but cant do basic life stuff and falls up the stairs! I do agree that the law needs to draw a line in the sand on the age of majority, 18 or 21. I prefer 18 for previous posters reasons but still think they may not be ready in general.
As someone from this age group I am too horrified by the irresponcibility of those my age, however, these are the same people that think that concealed carry is illegal, and that you have to have a permit to buy (or even shoot) a firearm, so something tells me that not too many of them will even know it exists until they enter the "Razgriz School for Firearms Training) :smilelol5:

Douva
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Douva »

EDIT: I agree with Charles that this discussion has reached a point where it would be better kept out of the public forums.
Last edited by Douva on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”