Log-Summary of Campus Carry Hearing 750 out of committee

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Log-Summary of Campus Carry Hearing 750 out of committee

Post by hirundo82 »

Pawpaw wrote:One thing I can't figure out from the language in the bill...

If a private school decides to "opt out", do they have to post the "big ugly sign"?
I asked that question a few weeks ago, and it was never really resolved. I think HB750 would put private schools on equal footing with other private employers--they can fire you if they catch you, but you can't be charged with anything unless you've been given proper §30.06 notice.

Personally, I hope that private schools that choose to ban carry have to put up the big ugly sign. You think we can get it changed so that "contrasting colors" means it has to be in neon green on a bright pink background? Nobody will miss that.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldSchool »

RHenriksen wrote: ...who enters academia, by and large? Not 2A types (well, except for the hard sciences, and they're not the ones running the asylum).
Thanks for that stipulation -- and you're correct on both counts!
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

SC1903A3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SC1903A3 »

My concern about the private school section which states they can decide to allow or not allow after consulting with the faculty, staff and students is that they won't and say they did, then ban chl carry. This leaves the question of what recourse would a person have if the University banned chl carry without consulting members of the University. For the record I work for a private University which has unarmed in-house security.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Thanks to RPB for the color commentary.

I got there a half hour early and it was already SRO. I filled out the witness forms for 750 and the others to register my support and checked NO to testifying. I assumed there were already enough people talking and boy was I right.

After turning in my comments, I went down to the overflow room. I watched for a while and the early speakers were pretty good but the later speakers started repeating earlier speakers. Some went completely off the rails, like woman who objected to Cho being called a lunatic. After hearing testimony from some opponents of HB 750, I wondered if they had any clue how many concealed handguns were in that room. I couldn't stay for the whole hearing, so I really appreciate RPB's summary of what I missed.

Tom

P.S. This forum was suggested by someone I met yesterday but I forgot his name. Sorry amigo.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Beiruty »

tbrown wrote:Thanks to RPB for the color commentary.

I got there a half hour early and it was already SRO. I filled out the witness forms for 750 and the others to register my support and checked NO to testifying. I assumed there were already enough people talking and boy was I right.

After turning in my comments, I went down to the overflow room. I watched for a while and the early speakers were pretty good but the later speakers started repeating earlier speakers. Some went completely off the rails, like woman who objected to Cho being called a lunatic. After hearing testimony from some opponents of HB 750, I wondered if they had any clue how many concealed handguns were in that room. I couldn't stay for the whole hearing, so I really appreciate RPB's summary of what I missed.

Tom

P.S. This forum was suggested by someone I met yesterday but I forgot his name. Sorry amigo.
Was it legal to carry there? wasn't govermental meeting in session?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Beiruty wrote:Was it legal to carry there? wasn't govermental meeting in session?
I have a CHL and it wasn't posted.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txyaloo »

Beiruty wrote:
tbrown wrote: Was it legal to carry there? wasn't govermental meeting in session?
It wasn't posted. I spent much of the time playing "spot the gun".

I got a good laugh at the expense of the girl sitting next to me. She was a UT student and was against campus carry. She and I chatted a bit. Little did she know, her elbow was mere inches from my 1911 for about 30 minutes. I wonder if she felt threatened?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

:biggrinjester:
txyaloo wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
tbrown wrote: Was it legal to carry there? wasn't govermental meeting in session?

I got a good laugh at the expense of the girl sitting next to me. She was a UT student and was against campus carry. She and I chatted a bit. Little did she know, her elbow was mere inches from my 1911 for about 30 minutes. I wonder if she felt threatened?
Did you say, Booh! :biggrinjester:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 56

Post by RPB »

txyaloo wrote:
Beiruty wrote:

:smilelol5: "rlol"

What will be interesting to me is:

If later, car burglaries increase at private schools which opt out, and decrease at public schools where fewer guns will be "stored in cars" This will require informing criminals where guns are stored on the news again, which may occur when this goes into effect after it passes all stages :lol:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Ameer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ameer »

RPB wrote:March 16, 2:00 P.M.

Now in Progress

Campus Carry Hearing Video Link (RealPlayer)
Is this posted anywhere in a better format? Maybe a highlights reel on youtube? :anamatedbanana
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 56

Post by RPB »

Ameer wrote:

Now in Progress

Is this posted anywhere in a better format? Maybe a highlights reel on youtube? :anamatedbanana
Well, the entire 5 hour/40 minute video archive thing you can fast forward/rewind/pause etc is here http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audi ... 1031614420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can watch in the free realplayer
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

RPB wrote:
Ameer wrote:

Now in Progress

Well, the entire video archive thing you can scroll through is here http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audi ... 1031614420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I went to the site and clicked the link to watch the video but it downloaded a "ram" file to my computer. The "ram" file isn't a real video and neither VLC nor QuickTime will play it. It's really a small text file containing a URL.

The URL is [url]rtsp://realvideoe.house.state.tx.us:554/archives/cmte82/11031614420.rm[/url] but that link does nothing because the protocol (rtsp) isn't associated with any program. That's why I asked if it was posted anywhere in a better format.

Thank you to anyone who can help without installing new software. I already have VLC and QuickTime.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

[quote="AmeerThe URL is [url]rtsp://realvideoe.house.state.tx.us:554/archives/cmte82/11031614420.rm[/url] but that link does nothing because the protocol (rtsp) isn't associated with any program. That's why I asked if it was posted anywhere in a better format.

Thank you to anyone who can help without installing new software. I already have VLC and QuickTime.[/quote]

You have to go to http://www.real.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and download their free Real Player software.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

warhorse10_9
Posts in topic: 15

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Ameer wrote:
RPB wrote:
Ameer wrote:

Now in Progress

Well, the entire video archive thing you can scroll through is here http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audi ... 1031614420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I went to the site and clicked the link to watch the video but it downloaded a "ram" file to my computer. The "ram" file isn't a real video and neither VLC nor QuickTime will play it. It's really a small text file containing a URL.

The URL is [url]rtsp://realvideoe.house.state.tx.us:554/archives/cmte82/11031614420.rm[/url] but that link does nothing because the protocol (rtsp) isn't associated with any program. That's why I asked if it was posted anywhere in a better format.

Thank you to anyone who can help without installing new software. I already have VLC and QuickTime.
VLC plays .ram files for me, at least on my Mac :mrgreen:
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

RHenriksen wrote:
Ameer wrote:Thank you to anyone who can help without installing new software. I already have VLC and QuickTime.
You have to go to http://www.real.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and download their free Real Player software.
No I don't. :lol:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”