HB 1068 Support No Front Plates

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

aardwolf
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB 1068 Support No Front Plates

Post by aardwolf »

It seems to work fine in Texas for motorcycles.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flintknapper »

I'd have to support this too.

I appreciate how a front plate can be "useful" (in some circumstances) for LEO, but when I weigh the benefits of NO front license plate against the occasional usefulness of it for LEO, then I've got to come down on the side of the public with this one.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

74novaman
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 74novaman »

I got pulled over a while back for "no front plate"....except I had one. Officer walked to the front, saw it, said "thanks for you time" and I went on my way.

And I know several people who don't want to drill the front bumpers of their nice cars for front plates that get pulled over for this. It does happen.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
function12
Posts in topic: 3

Post by function12 »

I have been pulled over once a few years ago by DPS. Trooper was very nice. Gave me a warning and that was it. Never said to fix it.

LIDAR (laser) does not need a front tag.
NRA Super Life Benefactor Member
PSC Member

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

I drive 3 vehicles, depending on the weather and my attitude that morning.
I only have a front plate on the truck.

Wife is the same way, most of her cars (one at a time). Ever notice none of the cars on a new car lot have a front plate frame?
She tells the dealer "Do not put a front license frame on that bumper or I will not accept the car"

Thanks for the tip

Email sent.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Capt Roy

Post by Capt Roy »

I never run one on my 66 vette as it is not required for antique vehicles... I don't run one on my C6 vette because there is no bracket for it and it would look bad.. I hope this passes!!
Capt Roy
"If it doesn't work, read the instructions. If it still doesn't work, follow them!"
CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

"Capt Roy" wrote:
I never run one on my 66 vette as it is not required for antique vehicles...

Your Vette qualifies as an antique, but unless you purchase the special antique plate, you would be in violation. Also, if you choose an antique plate, there are restrictions as to how you may use the vehicle.

"Antique plates are for vehicles at least 25 years old that are used strictly for antique exhibitions, parades, and related activities. (Occasional trips to the repair shop are permitted.)
Only one antique plate per vehicle is issued. To apply for the plate, complete the antique application form and bring it or mail it to your local county tax office. The plate cannot be personalized.
"

I don't run one on my C6 vette because there is no bracket for it and it would look bad.. I hope this passes!!
There may not be a bracket for it, but there should be a spot for a bracket. Vehicles originally shipped to 2 plate states had a bracket supplied to the dealer (ask dealer for it).

In Texas, your C6 is definitely required to sport two plates (one front, one rear).

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

flintknapper wrote:
"Antique plates are for vehicles at least 25 years old that are used strictly for antique exhibitions, parades, and related activities. (Occasional trips to the repair shop are permitted.)
Only one antique plate per vehicle is issued. To apply for the plate, complete the antique application form and bring it or mail it to your local county tax office. The plate cannot be personalized.
"
Time for my slightly off topic rant:

"Farm" plates are supposed to be used for farm specific vehicles, yet I can't tell you the number of times I"ve seen a lifted, spotless 4x4 with chrome wheels parked at starbucks with "farm plates".

My dad is a full time farmer and because he uses his pickup for other things as well, does not have farm plates. Yet city boys whos trucks have never seen a dirt road in their lives sport them all the time.

So considering how many people seem to get away with that, I bet he won't get in much trouble for cruising around town with antique plates on the '66.
TANSTAAFL

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

74novaman wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
"
Time for my slightly off topic rant:

"Farm" plates are supposed to be used for farm specific vehicles, yet I can't tell you the number of times I"ve seen a lifted, spotless 4x4 with chrome wheels parked at starbucks with "farm plates".

My dad is a full time farmer and because he uses his pickup for other things as well, does not have farm plates. Yet city boys whos trucks have never seen a dirt road in their lives sport them all the time.

So considering how many people seem to get away with that, I bet he won't get in much trouble for cruising around town with antique plates on the '66.
His "gamble" I guess.

Don't know what the fine is, but I'll bet its a LOT more than a normal license plate or the (classic plates).

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

I don't know for sure what year Texas went to dual plates. However, if your classic vehicle predates that date, and would only require a rear plate in that year, you may use a YOM (Year of Manufacture) plate. I have one on my '53 MG. Basically, you find a genuine Texas plate, in good condition (found mine on eBay), and take it to the vehicle registration office in your county. They look up the number in a large book, verify it is a genuine TX plate number, and issue you a new registration using that plate. You pay the normal registration fee + $15 additional each year. There are no restrictions on these plates as there are for the "Antique' plates. They are as legal as any modern plate on any TX vehicle.

PS: The reason you have restrictions on the "Antique" plates is that you only pay a small fee, rather than the normal registration fees, so you are in effect saying I don't use this vehicle on a regular basis, and I only use it for shows, parades, etc.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Having a front plate gives witnesses to a crime twice as much
chance to get a perp's license plate number.

But having 2 license plates also means it's easier for a person
who runs 2 vehicles to remove the front plate from the properly
registered vehicle and put it on something else.

As far as not messing up the looks of Corvettes, it seems that
many owners of Corvettes, BMW's, VW's, and many others create
their own law and run with only the rear license plate only.

A more effective law would allow the license plates to belong to the
PERSON, and not the VEHICLE, forcing the new owners of a vehicle to
get their own plates. IMHO.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

New owners do get their own plates. Every vehicle i have ever traded in or sold i took the plates off and left with them. Otherwise the dealer or new owners take forever to get it out of your name. I learned this the hard way when a ford dealer decided to drive my trade in thru toll booths over ten times. As far as fines for no frt plate go i have been stopped dozens of times over 20 years and never got ticketed for it.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

rm9792 wrote:As far as fines for no frt plate go i have been stopped dozens of times over 20 years and never got ticketed for it.
Hm. You'd think if officers really cared about having front plates, they'd be writing tickets for lack thereof.

I'd love to see this silly requirement eliminated. :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

G26ster wrote:I don't know for sure what year Texas went to dual plates. However, if your classic vehicle predates that date, and would only require a rear plate in that year, you may use a YOM (Year of Manufacture) plate. I have one on my '53 MG. Basically, you find a genuine Texas plate, in good condition (found mine on eBay), and take it to the vehicle registration office in your county. They look up the number in a large book, verify it is a genuine TX plate number, and issue you a new registration using that plate. You pay the normal registration fee + $15 additional each year. There are no restrictions on these plates as there are for the "Antique' plates. They are as legal as any modern plate on any TX vehicle.

PS: The reason you have restrictions on the "Antique" plates is that you only pay a small fee, rather than the normal registration fees, so you are in effect saying I don't use this vehicle on a regular basis, and I only use it for shows, parades, etc.
Texas only issued Single Plates in '45-'46, so he's out of luck with his '66 Vette. Its either the single (Antique Plate) and accompanying restrictions, or put two plates on it (to be legal).

I am not arguing...that having no front plate is heavily enforced anywhere, it is not (Farm Plates either).

bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

I'm indifferent to this law. I've had several mustangs, and they have all had a front plate because it is required by law. If you dont want to "ugly up the front end of the vette", easy solution is dont buy a vette. Sorry, but I just find it utterly ridiculous people think having a front plate on a vehicle is such a big deal. I can agree with the saving money issue, but the argument over not liking the looks of it is just silly.

As for charging the same amount and only giving one plate if it passes, in order to justify it, you can bet the same people who complaining about having 2 plates now are going to complain about having to pay the same price to get only 1 plate.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”