Perry on immigration

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 7

Perry on immigration

Post by mamabearCali »

I know I keep asking yall living in TX questions about Perry. I figure yall who have had to live under his time as governor would know him best, and as I have never lived as an adult so close to the US/Mexico border I wanted to ask those who have

On the border fence--DUH in TX you can't put up a fence it is a RIVER! However outside of TX, wouldn't a wall slow down illegal immigration and drugs. I mean I know they will get around it, but at least it could cut down on the foot traffic just waltzing across our border. Intelligent opinions are greatly desired.

On the children getting instate tuition--not sure where I stand on that one. Yall voted this law in. What did you think about it? What were the parameters--etc etc.

I am done on the HPV vaccine issue. I in general think it is a vaccine that has limited use, but he said he was sorry and wouldn't make that mistake again (of making something mandatory by fiat bypassing the legislature). Good enough for me.

Right now off all the people on the stage I like Perry the best still. Just wanted to ask you guys about a few things so that I can understand the issues better.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Perry on immigration

Post by RoyGBiv »

If your parents come here illegally, YOU get to pay in-state tuition.??.... It's wrong. Your parents came here ILLEGALLY. We need to change the qualifications for citizenship to say explicitly that children of parents who enter this country without a valid visa are not entitled to citizenship or the benefits thereof. They are entitled to a ride to the border. We are the only country I know of that rewards illegal activity with free healthcare, education, social services and anchor babies. :mad5

Fence...? I think we can find the manpower to patrol the border TOMORROW. No need for a fence.
Add technology and, in some places, a fence where those things make sense.

I just don't "feel" Mr. Perry. I watch him speak and I see GW. Pains me. I thought he was a bumbling fool in the debate last night. If Romney was in favor of a flat tax, he'd get my vote. A flat tax is MANDATORY, IMO... not so much from a "fairness" perspective (which it is), but more importantly, from a "temptations" perspective. A flat tax, with no deductions whatsoever (except charitable contributions), will remove the temptation from future generations of politicians to pander for votes by influencing the tax code..... This has been a bigger problem than almost any other for this country. IMO, YMMV.

I will not enthusiastically vote for a candidate that is not dedicated to scrapping the current tax code in its entirety.

Newt (I never thought I'd say this) is rising rapidly in my opinion.... I'm looking forward to hearing his plan on Monday.
At the moment, all I can confirm is that I'll be voting Republican next November. Even Bachman is better than Obama, and I don't like her or her "social issues to the fore" platform at all.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

RoyGBiv wrote:If your parents come here illegally, YOU get to pay in-state tuition.??.... It's wrong. Your parents came here ILLEGALLY. We need to change the qualifications for citizenship to say explicitly that children of parents who enter this country without a valid visa are not entitled to citizenship or the benefits thereof. They are entitled to a ride to the border. We are the only country I know of that rewards illegal activity with free healthcare, education, social services and anchor babies. :mad5

Fence...? I think we can find the manpower to patrol the border TOMORROW. No need for a fence.
Add technology and, in some places, a fence where those things make sense.

I just don't "feel" Mr. Perry. I watch him speak and I see GW. Pains me. I thought he was a bumbling fool in the debate last night. If Romney was in favor of a flat tax, he'd get my vote. A flat tax is MANDATORY, IMO... not so much from a "fairness" perspective (which it is), but more importantly, from a "temptations" perspective. A flat tax, with no deductions whatsoever (except charitable contributions), will remove the temptation from future generations of politicians to pander for votes by influencing the tax code..... This has been a bigger problem than almost any other for this country. IMO, YMMV.

I will not enthusiastically vote for a candidate that is not dedicated to scrapping the current tax code in its entirety.

Newt (I never thought I'd say this) is rising rapidly in my opinion.... I'm looking forward to hearing his plan on Monday.
At the moment, all I can confirm is that I'll be voting Republican next November. Even Bachman is better than Obama, and I don't like her or her "social issues to the fore" platform at all.

Though I don't think we see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues, I agree that Gov. Perry really messed up on this one. You and I are in-line with our thinking about illegal aliens and "anchor babies". I am STRONGLY of the opinion that if we shut off the freebies to these folks, a LARGE portion of them would self-deport. And those that remained because they TRULY wanted to make a life here would be a lot smaller population that could be dealt with in whatever manner was deemed appropriate at that point. I'm sorry if I have "no heart" but if you put out bird-seed, the birds will flock...and where you have a lot of birds together, you have a lot of bird by-products. I have NOTHING against Hispanics or immigrants...but I do NOT like law-breakers and free-loaders.

However, I worry about Romney on things like gun-control "compromise" (who really needs "assault clips" to hunt pheasant at the country club, right?); Bachman has become annoying for want of a better word; Herman Cain, God bless him, just doesn't have the kind of recognition that he needs to win; Huntsman is milquetoast; and Ron Paul would put Dennis Kucinich in his Cabinet, seriously?...IF Newt could keep his comments focused on beating Obama, he MIGHT just be able to pull through in the end. Anyway, like you said, WHOEVER wins the Republican nomination gets my vote...I just hope I don't have to pull that lever with a heavy heart.

texanron
Posts in topic: 2

Post by texanron »

When I heard Perry's explanation of the in-state tuition deal I have to admit I agree with him. The current rule is that a child born here is a legal US citizen and entitled to in-state tuition. If we refuse this they'll potentially become a burden on society. 177 out of the 181 elected legislators agree. Article What I would like to see happen is that the children born to illegal aliens be classified as an illegal alien as well thus making them ineligible for in-state tuition.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PUCKER »

I'd like to see a Cain/Newt (or vice-versa) ticket...Cain definitely needs to get some traction. I don't think Perry did all that well last night either. Romney comes off as *very* polished, but also a tad arrogant. I kept on waiting for Bachman to put on a pair of glasses and say "you betcha!" :biggrinjester:

Heartland Patriot

texanron wrote:When I heard Perry's explanation of the in-state tuition deal I have to admit I agree with him. The current rule is that a child born here is a legal US citizen and entitled to in-state tuition. If we refuse this they'll potentially become a burden on society. 177 out of the 181 elected legislators agree. Article What I would like to see happen is that the children born to illegal aliens be classified as an illegal alien as well thus making them ineligible for in-state tuition.
Okay...the question I have, though, is: Are these children of ILLEGAL ALIENS being given priority over the children of actual Texan (American) citizens? Just to make this perfectly clear, I don't care what race/ethnicity the ACTUAL TEXANS are, nor do I care what race/ethnicity the kids of ILLEGAL ALIENS are...I do not care what sort of names I get called either, I am FOR the citizens of THIS STATE and NATION and against those that break our laws...law-breakers, and their children, should NOT be rewarded for that behavior.

EconDoc

Post by EconDoc »

texanron wrote:When I heard Perry's explanation of the in-state tuition deal I have to admit I agree with him. The current rule is that a child born here is a legal US citizen and entitled to in-state tuition. If we refuse this they'll potentially become a burden on society. 177 out of the 181 elected legislators agree. Article What I would like to see happen is that the children born to illegal aliens be classified as an illegal alien as well thus making them ineligible for in-state tuition.
To classify the children born here to illegal aliens as illegal aliens also, we will have to amend the US Constitution--Fourteenth Amendment, I believe. That is the one that says that anybody born in the US is a citizen.

Personally, I don't like the idea of laws penalizing children for their parents' bad choices. And, I would rather that those children go to college and become productive citizens than to become gang-bangers and criminals or, worst of all, community organizers.
Sauron lives and his orc minions are on the march. Free people own guns.

Heartland Patriot

EconDoc wrote:
To classify the children born here to illegal aliens as illegal aliens also, we will have to amend the US Constitution--Fourteenth Amendment, I believe. That is the one that says that anybody born in the US is a citizen.

Personally, I don't like the idea of laws penalizing children for their parents' bad choices. And, I would rather that those children go to college and become productive citizens than to become gang-bangers and criminals or, worst of all, community organizers.
Where do you think a certain somebody learned to be a radical and community-organizer? COLLEGE!

Topic author
mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

My question is was this rule for children that were born in the USA or not born in the USA. If say you were born in the USA, then according to the law as it stands now you are an American citizen. If it is for children born in another country and then brought here illegally it becomes a different issue all together. I don't think we should heap the sins of the father onto the children so I would be ok with those brought here under a certain age being permitted to find a way to legal status without having to return back to a country they don't remember after they reach the age of majority.

However it does irk me that the American taxpayers have to foot the bill to educate the citizens of a foreign nation that did not ask to come here in the first place. Immigration is a really serious issue and a really complicated one. :banghead: :banghead:

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

TXCO

Post by TXCO »

Illegal is illegal. No benefits! No birthright citizenship. I do not care how many legislatures voted for it, it , and bilingual classes are wrong.
TSRA Life member
NRA Life member
CPO-Retired

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I think the law in question grants in-state tuition to children of illegal aliens when the children were not born here. IOW, the kids are also illegal but have been here all their life, went to high school here at our expense. As far as I'm concerned, we have given them enough breaks. How many Mexicans earn a HS diploma?

I am also in favor of restricting citizenship. Times are different now.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Texgun

Post by Texgun »

I think the Supreme Court has already created the environment where they are welcome once they get past the border patrol. Texas must provide public education. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Rick is maintaining good relations with this potential voter block. He can solve multiple problems when he annexes Mexico and it becomes U.S Territory. Adios drug war. Our new border is now much shorter and easier to protect.
Texgun
College Station, TX

Topic author
mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Texgun wrote:I think the Supreme Court has already created the environment where they are welcome once they get past the border patrol. Texas must provide public education. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Rick is maintaining good relations with this potential voter block. He can solve multiple problems when he annexes Mexico and it becomes U.S Territory. Adios drug war. Our new border is now much shorter and easier to protect.

Yipes! Don't think we want those problems on our nation. They are bad enough crossing the border unless we would have a way to solve these problems once we annexed it. Boy could that be a really really rough ride. Not sure I want to jump on that pony show.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

We are going to have a bunch of military guys and gals coming back from the middle East in a few years. Might give them something to do.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

So illegals residents can have in-state tuition and US Citizens living in other US states can;t have the same in-state tuition? :banghead:

Maybe Texas should give illegal Residents FREE Medical Care.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”