I'm calling it: Gingrich/Rice in 2012

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 21

Re: I'm calling it: Gingrich/Rice in 2012

Post by OldCannon »

Oldgringo wrote:
TAM wrote, among other things:
...I've pretty much decided that I'm going to vote for Romney in both the primary and the general, for the above reasons.
Me too. A couple of days in Temple Square this past September was a most enlightening and uplifting experience.
I think today's caucus all but locked it up. I don't like Romney, but I like him a LOT more than the stooge we have in office now. Whatever may come, Obama and his cronies MUST go.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Ameer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ameer »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Bullwhip wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:There is no way I'll ever believe that a Romney presidency, or ANY Republican presidency would be as damaging as another Obama term.
The house is GOP, senate very close split. Obama has to fight the house GOP to get what he wants, Romney wouldnt'.

Romney might be worse because the house would pass his bills.
Well first of all, if Romney were elected, he might still have to face a democrat majority in the Senate, which would essentially put him in the same position as Obama is with the House. Remember, it takes passage in both the Senate and the House to send a bill to a president's desk for his/her signature.
Good point. If we vote for the Republican candidate for President but have reservations, we should counter that with votes for Democrats in Congress, so there are some checks and balances and not a rubber stamp to expand government interference in health care, gun rights, dog safety, etc.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 29

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Ameer wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Bullwhip wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:There is no way I'll ever believe that a Romney presidency, or ANY Republican presidency would be as damaging as another Obama term.
The house is GOP, senate very close split. Obama has to fight the house GOP to get what he wants, Romney wouldnt'.

Well first of all, if Romney were elected, he might still have to face a democrat majority in the Senate, which would essentially put him in the same position as Obama is with the House. Remember, it takes passage in both the Senate and the House to send a bill to a president's desk for his/her signature.
Good point. If we vote for the Republican candidate for President but have reservations, we should counter that with votes for Democrats in Congress, so there are some checks and balances and not a rubber stamp to expand government interference in health care, gun rights, dog safety, etc.
If that's what you want. It's your vote to use as you wish. It wouldn't be my choice.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Ameer wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Bullwhip wrote:

There would be a sno-cone sale in Hades before I voted for a Dem, but one observation I've made is that whenever a party scores the "unholy trinity" (Exec, House, Senate), bad things often happen (I'm specifically thinking of the AWB and Obamacare).

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by smoothoperator »

Now that Santorum is out of the race, what's the chance he'll give his delegates to Gingrich?
http://www.gop.com/index.php/comms/comm ... ate_count1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 1

Post by UpTheIrons »

OldCannon wrote:There would be a sno-cone sale in Hades before I voted for a Dem, but one observation I've made is that whenever a party scores the "unholy trinity" (Exec, House, Senate), bad things often happen (I'm specifically thinking of the AWB and Obamacare).
This is true, yet there is a VERY strong likelihood that the next president will appoint up to 2 more Supreme Court judges. The idea of two more Kagans/Sotomayors taking the bench scares me more than anything else Mittens could do from the Oval Office.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 29

Post by The Annoyed Man »

smoothoperator wrote:Now that Santorum is out of the race, what's the chance he'll give his delegates to Gingrich?
http://www.gop.com/index.php/comms/comm ... ate_count1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He can try, but I'm not certain that a candidate can "give his delegates" to another candidate. He can certainly endorse another candidate. Gingrich bounced a $500 check to Utah state's elections commission for the Utah primary filing. It happened in March. They've tried to collect payment, and as of today, still no response from the Gingrich campaign. If he can't come up with $500 to file for the Utah primary, then his candidacy is over. So even if Santorum could give his delegates to Gingrich, he still has no campaign operating funds, let alone primary filing funds. SOURCE. In the end Romney is still going to take the nomination. I predict that over the next few days, Gingrich is going to go public with a campaign withdrawal statement, and he'll urge the party to unite behind Romney so that we can start taking it to Obama.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Oldgringo »

TAM wrote:
...so that we can start taking it to Obama.
:patriot: It's about time!

Toorop

Post by Toorop »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
smoothoperator wrote:Now that Santorum is out of the race, what's the chance he'll give his delegates to Gingrich?
He can try, but I'm not certain that a candidate can "give his delegates" to another candidate. He can certainly endorse another candidate. Gingrich bounced a $500 check to Utah state's elections commission for the Utah primary filing. It happened in March. They've tried to collect payment, and as of today, still no response from the Gingrich campaign. If he can't come up with $500 to file for the Utah primary, then his candidacy is over. So even if Santorum could give his delegates to Gingrich, he still has no campaign operating funds, let alone primary filing funds. SOURCE. In the end Romney is still going to take the nomination. I predict that over the next few days, Gingrich is going to go public with a campaign withdrawal statement, and he'll urge the party to unite behind Romney so that we can start taking it to Obama.
He has done a lot more than that!

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Lambda Force »

Lambda Force wrote:
OldCannon wrote:I must admit I have soft spots for Ron Paul and Gary Johnson, but my crystal ball says that Newt is the only one that can absolutely stomp Obama and throw him, his cronies, and his policies to the curb.
I predict the Republicans will win big if they nominate a conservative and lose by a small margin if they nominate an Obama Lite.
I wrote that in the middle of December and I haven't seen anything yet to change my predictions.

Although it does look more and more likely the Republicans will "Choose to Lose" by nominating the MSM's choice.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Lambda Force wrote:
Lambda Force wrote:
OldCannon wrote:I must admit I have soft spots for Ron Paul and Gary Johnson, but my crystal ball says that Newt is the only one that can absolutely stomp Obama and throw him, his cronies, and his policies to the curb.
I predict the Republicans will win big if they nominate a conservative and lose by a small margin if they nominate an Obama Lite.
I wrote that in the middle of December and I haven't seen anything yet to change my predictions.

Although it does look more and more likely the Republicans will "Choose to Lose" by nominating the MSM's choice.
I'd have been inclined to agree with your predictions about the "Obama Lite" thing, but the Dems have been gleefully committing political suicide for the last 3 years, with Obama proudly leading and crowing about their gaffes. I swear, right now an empty, 2 year old jar of mayonnaise could whip Obama.

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Lambda Force »

OldCannon wrote:I'd have been inclined to agree with your predictions about the "Obama Lite" thing, but the Dems have been gleefully committing political suicide for the last 3 years, with Obama proudly leading and crowing about their gaffes. I swear, right now an empty, 2 year old jar of mayonnaise could whip Obama.
I hope you're right. I really do. But I hope you won't be offended if I don't hold my breath.

I won't be surprised if a couple of weeks before the election, sweet innocent Trayvon will be back in the news, to mobilize the racist voters and beat down the moderates with white guilt.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 11

Post by tbrown »

OldCannon wrote:I'd have been inclined to agree with your predictions about the "Obama Lite" thing, but the Dems have been gleefully committing political suicide for the last 3 years, with Obama proudly leading and crowing about their gaffes. I swear, right now an empty, 2 year old jar of mayonnaise could whip Obama.
Bring on the mayo!
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”