Business response to gun control frenzy

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Business response to gun control frenzy

Post by A-R »

Putting this in "political issues" because the reasons for this are political (and even if it is a smart business move, it's necessary based purely on politics)

Cerberus which owns Freedom Group, parent of Bushmaster Remington etc will sell off its gun holdings

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 94006.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
A-R

Re: Business response to gun control frenzy

Post by A-R »

Dick's Sporting Goods pulling semi-auto rifles off its shelves

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_29221/con ... d=2ZhZDwcN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

A-R wrote:Dick's Sporting Goods pulling semi-auto rifles off its shelves

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_29221/con ... d=2ZhZDwcN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I completely understand and applaud them for pulling the ARs off the shelves from the stores nearby the tragedy. That seems totally reasonable and respectful. I don't quite get the national ban on the AR sales though. It seems right now is when a lot of people are going to want to buy one (before the ban hammer drops). They should get rid of their inventory before they get banned.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

I'm sure glad I ordered those 2 uppers last month.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

Criminals will print their semi-auto. Have you heard about 3D printing? Good guys would not break the law (as usual), but criminals will do! Crazy world we are in.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPB »

So Dicks Sporting Goods wants no one to be able to go get a tool for defense against any copy-cats or other crazies ... and they'll objectify the tool as a method of showing respect to those who had no tool to defend against one who stole a tool
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

Oh, I don't blame Dick's. there will be people, including media, going there for the sole purpose of seeing if those EBRs are really that easy to buy. I bet they will put them back out in a few weeks.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Rex B wrote:Oh, I don't blame Dick's. there will be people, including media, going there for the sole purpose of seeing if those EBRs are really that easy to buy. I bet they will put them back out in a few weeks.
Probably so.
Meanwhile they'll have to go to WalMart.

Five Assault Rifles You Can Pick up at Walmart [PHOTOS]
http://www.thenation.com/article/171810 ... art-photos#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday, inexplicably bent on ending as many lives as possible, he was carrying a Bushmaster AR-15 assault rifle and several high-capacity magazines. Although it is not clear yet where the AR-15 used by Lanza (which was registered to his mother) was purchased, the model is familiar to many shoppers at Walmart.
A massive recent spike in gun sales has boosted Walmart’s flagging profits, making it the top seller of firearms and ammunition nationwide.
Erick Erickson ‏@EWErickson

Maybe if they were pink w/ polka dots it'd be ok. My wife got the Remington 870 a few years ago.
Last edited by RPB on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

knotquiteawake wrote:

I completely understand and applaud them for pulling the ARs off the shelves from the stores nearby the tragedy. That seems totally reasonable and respectful. I don't quite get the national ban on the AR sales though. It seems right now is when a lot of people are going to want to buy one (before the ban hammer drops). They should get rid of their inventory before they get banned.

Mmmm. If he had used a chainsaw should Home Depot and Lowes pull all chainsaws off the shelves?

IMHO a gun is just a tool, and just like any other tool is only as dangerous as the user.

If all the Mental Health clinics in the area had opened their doors for free evaluations, that is something I would applaud.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

steveincowtown wrote:
knotquiteawake wrote:

Mmmm. If he had used a chainsaw should Home Depot and Lowes pull all chainsaws off the shelves?

IMHO a gun is just a tool, and just like any other tool is only as dangerous as the user.

If all the Mental Health clinics in the area had opened their doors for free evaluations, that is something I would applaud.
I would be just as supportive if Home Depot put their chainsaws away for a couple weeks if somebody had chainsawed to death 20 children and 6 adults.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

knotquiteawake wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:
knotquiteawake wrote:

I would be just as supportive if Home Depot put their chainsaws away for a couple weeks if somebody had chainsawed to death 20 children and 6 adults.

"Do it for the Children"

This argument is tough one for me to swallow, and I don't think it holds much water.

This is indeed a very, very sad situation. I can't even imagine what those families are going through. However I don't agree with Dick's knee jerk reaction, and at the end of the day is unnecessary purely symbolic gesture.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

hmmm I like that

"Do it for the Children" Switzerland issues firearms to adult men. Switzerland has compulsory gun ownership. Switzerland has lowest gun-related crime rate in the civilized world. "Do it for the Children"
I'm no lawyer

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I never cared for Dick's anyways. So now I know I will not be going back there for anything!

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

RPB wrote:hmmm I like that

"Do it for the Children" Switzerland issues firearms to adult men. Switzerland has compulsory gun ownership. Switzerland has lowest gun-related crime rate in the civilized world. "Do it for the Children"
Switzerland has compulsory military service for male citizens, usually beginning at age 18, lasting for 18 to 21 weeks, with a requirement to maintain the ability to serve (unless given a specific exemption) until they are aged 34. They're required to keep their personal weapon (minus the ammunition) at home, and to maintain their personal equipment in a state of readiness.

If you're suggesting that the US should follow Switzerland's model, are you also arguing for compulsory military service, too? Because if you are, your argument is IMHO declared dead-in-the-water - the average American would no more support a peace time draft (as well as a requirement to keep physically fit) than they would support - well, you fill in the blank.

Oh, and Swiss males who are ruled 'not fit' for military duty pay a 3% tax surcharge until they're over the age of compulsory service as a way of "paying their share". Another example of things the American folks wouldn't accept.

Nah - if there's an answer to your question, it's going to have to be an all-American one, not one based on what other countries do, methinks.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

knotquiteawake wrote:

I wish car dealerships had enough respect to suspend sales after a drunk driver kills somebody with their assault vehicles.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”