Navy Announces USS Gabrielle Giffords (pass the Malox!!!)

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

recaffeination

Re: Navy Announces USS Gabrielle Giffords (pass the Malox!!!

Post by recaffeination »

I was thinking replacement for the SS James Longstreet.

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

jimlongley wrote:And then there is the propensity for sailors serving in ships to refer to them by a nickname.

The USS Zellars was, to us, the "Zippin Z"; the "Z-boat"; or "Captain Crunch and his Bunch."

I am having a wonderful time imagining what the sailors' nicknames will be for their home away from home.
USS Constellation - Constipation

USS Forrestal - Flaming Forrestal

USS Ranger - Danger Ranger (dumped more F-14's in the drink "failed cat-shots" than any other from what I recall)

USS La Salle - Great White Ghost of the Arabian Coast

USS Gabriel Giffords - Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasGal »

But did she? She suffered a terrible trauma but instead of continuing to honor our Constitution, she is allowing a political agenda to use her disfigurement to destroy the rights of people who had nothing whatever to do with her injuries. The very people who would have risked their own lives to defend her that day. I feel sorry for her, but I do not respect how she is using her circumstance to appeal to emotion rather than facts. And I wonder how much of her behavior has been influenced by her husband. I saw initial interviews with him that indicated he took this stance in the beginning more than she did. It's true the young men and women who will serve on this ship will not likely attach much importance to this, but then that is disappointing in itself.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jimlongley »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
jimlongley wrote:And then there is the propensity for sailors serving in ships to refer to them by a nickname.

The USS Zellars was, to us, the "Zippin Z"; the "Z-boat"; or "Captain Crunch and his Bunch."

I am having a wonderful time imagining what the sailors' nicknames will be for their home away from home.

We called it the "FIRESTALL!"
stevie_d_64 wrote:
USS Ranger - Danger Ranger (dumped more F-14's in the drink "failed cat-shots" than any other from what I recall)
We followed it when it was dumping F-4s.
stevie_d_64 wrote:

Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

Gaby

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by powerboatr »

stevie_d_64 wrote:

we called it the forest fire

uss saratoga...sucking sara
uss elmer montgomery...elmer fudd
uss valdez...(named after a corpsman killed in Vietnam) oil leak
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

These land types are prolly sitting back shaking their heads going...

...squids...Geesh...

All I got to say is...If yer gonna be jealous, do it with a smile on yer face!!! :thumbs2: :smilelol5: "rlol"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

When they abandoned the convention of naming all ships after states, battles and tall ships of yore, they started down this road. I don't like them naming them after presidents either, even if it is Washington or Reagan. Now all one has to do to get a ship named after them is wield enough clout to impact funding.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jimlongley »

Dragonfighter wrote:When they abandoned the convention of naming all ships after states, battles and tall ships of yore, they started down this road. I don't like them naming them after presidents either, even if it is Washington or Reagan. Now all one has to do to get a ship named after them is wield enough clout to impact funding.
I wasn't aware that they had stopped that. The convention had been that only certain ships were named after people, others were named after places and such, too lazy to go in the other rooms and get the whole list.

One of my favorites has always been the naming of ammo ships after volcanoes.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Dragonfighter wrote:When they abandoned the convention of naming all ships after states, battles and tall ships of yore, they started down this road. I don't like them naming them after presidents either, even if it is Washington or Reagan. Now all one has to do to get a ship named after them is wield enough clout to impact funding.
Washington was a General and a soldier of some note.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dadtodabone »

She can have the LCS aka Little Crappy Ship. Under gunned for their mission, and therefore unable to complete missions without fleet cover, vastly over budget, maintainence nightmares, hulls cracking under stress. The whole DD-X program should be scrapped. Elmo is spinning in his grave.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

recaffeination wrote:I was thinking replacement for the SS James Longstreet.
OH, SNAP! " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”