Let's get our gold back!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SF18C
Posts in topic: 1

Let's get our gold back!

Post by SF18C »

Sounds like a good idea to me. But in true Texan fasion we SHOULD transport all of it back, and in stage coaches...I call shotgun!

Why Texas wants its gold back from the feds

http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/why-texas-wa ... -the-feds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“The eyes of Texas are upon you” goes the song, but right now those eyes seem to be squarely focused on the financial crisis in Cyprus.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry is supporting a bill that would return the state’s $1 billion in gold reserves currently stored by the Federal Reserve at a vault in New York to the state.

The sponsor of the bill, State Rep. Giovanni Capriglione, R-Southlake, told the Texas Tribune, “For us to have our own gold, a lot of the runs on the bank and those types of things, they happen because people are worried that there’s nothing there to back it up.”

Bank runs were the great fear in the Mediterranean-island country of Cyprus today, as banks reopened for the first time since March 16, while the European Union imposed unprecedented austerity measures on the nation, including confiscating money in bank accounts. WND reported on March 18 the concerns that the crisis could spread to the U.S. financial system.

Capriglione said his bill is, “not about putting Texas on its own gold standard, [but instead will] give the state a reputation as being more financially secure in the event of a national or international financial crisis.”

“If we own it,” Perry told Glenn Beck last week, “I will suggest to you that that’s not someone else’s determination whether we can take possession of it back or not.”

Capriglione’s bill would establish the Texas Bullion Depository to hold the gold.

“We don’t want just the certificates. We want our gold. And if you’re the state of Texas, you should be able to get your gold,” said Capriglione.

However, he concedes transporting $1 billion worth of gold bars would be impractical, so he suggests selling the gold and repurchasing it in Texas.

The bill might get bipartisan support. State Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, called the bill “an interesting concept” and wants to consult financial experts on its merits.

That bipartisan support may stem from the severity of the crisis in Europe and fears it could spread here.
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

stevie_d_64

Re: Let's get our gold back!

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I volunteer to keep as much as possible in "safe" keeping in a secret location known only to myself...

And maybe a few hundred other people...[snarf]

Nevermind... ;-) :biggrinjester:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ajwakeboarder »

SF18C wrote:Sounds like a good idea to me. But in true Texan fasion we SHOULD transport all of it back, and in stage coaches...I call shotgun!
You mean like on the old war wagons? I call the Gatling gun.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Perry: Posturing or serious?

O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

I hope this is serious. The less we all trust the federal reserve the better.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Anyone checked that so-called "vault" in NY lately to see what's really in there? :roll:

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

“transporting $1 billion worth of gold bars would be impractical”--- Why? :headscratch

I imagine a convoy of pickup trucks with 500 Texas CHL’s providing free security. "rlol"
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ajwakeboarder »

VoiceofReason wrote:“transporting $1 billion worth of gold bars would be impractical”--- Why? :headscratch

I imagine a convoy of pickup trucks with 500 Texas CHL’s providing free security. "rlol"
I'd be worth the trip for me just to watch ol bloomy go pale and hide at the sight of so many Texan's with CHLs in his state :biggrinjester:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Why on earth would we allow our gold to be in a vault in NY? Now we know where Blooming idiot gets his wealth.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

inst that like 500k-600k pounds of gold

20 semi trucks plus security
sounds doable

lets go
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

As I type this, gold is sitting at $1,593 per troy ounce. A billion dollars in gold then is just over 43,000 pounds. I'm amazed that our state has that much gold to our name, and I'm proud to learn this fact. Bring that gold home! :txflag:
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I agree. For one they might say no. That would tell us a lot about whether it is really there. I can see all my liberal friends squirming to come up with excuses why Obama won't allow us to get our gold back.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

That is, if the physical gold is still there. There has been past speculation that the physical gold is long gone, and there is nothing in the "vaults" but IOUs from the Feds. Someone should at least do a eyes-on audit and find out.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

BigGuy wrote:That's as good as money sir. Those are IOUs.
Dumb and Dummer.
Some people in congress think so, that's what they have been doing to social security since the early 1950's.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”