campus carry makes it to the floor

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 2

Re: campus carry makes it to the floor

Post by mamabearCali »

baldeagle wrote:
mamabearCali wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
cw3van wrote:Just more PC junk can't for the life of me understand in Texas how this stuff gets so watered down if & I say if it gets into law how many campuses do you think are going to allow CC. :banghead:
Zero. Guaranteed.
Liberty University in VA is permitting CC by CHP holders. So zero may not be accurate.
This ain't VA. I seriously doubt any state university will allow carry (I work at one), and I'm almost certain no private university will. The only possible exception is Kilgore College because of its President (search the archives). UT schools are totally opposed to guns on campus and are run by liberals. I've given up the dream of carrying at work. It's never going to happen. Liberals would rather see 30 innocent people die than one bad guy go down. Criminals help them move toward their goal of enslaving free people.

Faculty are vehemently opposed. Even if students and staff support it, at a university the faculty get what they want no matter how unreasonable or unfair. When they don't get their way they act like two year olds, stomp and whine and take it out on everyone around them. Then they wield their nuclear weapon. If you do this I'll move my $3 million research project and my Nobel prize to another university. The administration folds like a cheap suit every time. Trust me. I've BTDT.

How Sad that VA would be more free than TX :headscratch ...... :waiting: I don't live in TX (I visit as often as I can), fix it yall. I do what I can here in VA to hold the line of freedom. TX is supposed to be my fall back point if we can't hold the line here. VA has the cancer of Northern VA, where democrats reign and get re-elected no matter how many times they are caught committing crimes and voters fraud. We here in the rest of VA have to fight fight fight against it. Please don't give up the fight in TX.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

phd2b
Posts in topic: 4

Post by phd2b »

Ok then, that definitely changes things...

I don't see similar language in SB 182, so if that passes without substitute, I assume there will have to be some sort of conference to reconcile the differences between the House and Senate versions?

Or do we try to move forward with HB 706 or HB 1078 instead? Would they meet the same fate, substituted language?

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

baldeagle wrote:
cw3van wrote:Just more PC junk can't for the life of me understand in Texas how this stuff gets so watered down if & I say if it gets into law how many campuses do you think are going to allow CC. :banghead:
Zero. Guaranteed.
I disagree, small colleges and universities may allow CC. I know Tarleton State University in Stephenville, my alma mater and the school both of my kids currently attend, would be in favor of at least having the discussion. Sure, they have a Humanities department that would be anti, but overall it is a very conservative school from the top down.

I would also assume Texas A&M would have a very good discussion within the student body and administration about allowing CC on campus. UT, UH, and many of the big private schools like TCU, SMU and Baylor - not so much.

Just my opinion - although a small step, a step in the right direction none the less.

ETA - If HB3218 passes, this bill won't matter anyway.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baldeagle »

Jaguar wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
Zero. Guaranteed.
I disagree, small colleges and universities may allow CC. I know Tarleton State University in Stephenville, my alma mater and the school both of my kids currently attend, would be in favor of at least having the discussion. Sure, they have a Humanities department that would be anti, but overall it is a very conservative school from the top down.

I would also assume Texas A&M would have a very good discussion within the student body and administration about allowing CC on campus. UT, UH, and many of the big private schools like TCU, SMU and Baylor - not so much.

Just my opinion - although a small step, a step in the right direction none the less.

ETA - If HB3218 passes, this bill won't matter anyway.
HB 3218 does not address campus carry. It removes the restrictions on carrying for places where alcohol is served unless they are posted and completely for sporting events, correctional facilities, hospitals and nursing homes, churches and synagogues, amusement parks and governmental meetings (IOW 30.06 may no longer be used in those locations).
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

baldeagle wrote:HB 3218 does not address campus carry. It removes the restrictions on carrying for places where alcohol is served unless they are posted and completely for sporting events, correctional facilities, hospitals and nursing homes, churches and synagogues, amusement parks and governmental meetings (IOW 30.06 may no longer be used in those locations).
That's not correct. I made the same error the first time I read 3218.
Keep reading into Section 5(a)(5), where it very clearly and succinctly says....
SECTION 5. Sections 46.15(a) and (b), Penal Code, are
amended to read as follows:
(a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 do not apply to:
<snip>
(5) a person who is carrying a concealed handgun and a
valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government
Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the
handgun the person is carrying.
Now go back and read 46.02 and 46.03 (especially 46.03) and see what restrictions would NO LONGER apply to us :mrgreen: :clapping: :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

phd2b

Post by phd2b »

Looks like HB 3218 is scheduled for a public hearing next Thursday, April 18...

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

RoyGBiv wrote:
baldeagle wrote:HB 3218 does not address campus carry. It removes the restrictions on carrying for places where alcohol is served unless they are posted and completely for sporting events, correctional facilities, hospitals and nursing homes, churches and synagogues, amusement parks and governmental meetings (IOW 30.06 may no longer be used in those locations).
Keep reading into Section 5(a)(5), where it very clearly and succinctly says....
<snip>
Now go back and read 46.02 and 46.03 (especially 46.03) and see what restrictions would NO LONGER apply to us :mrgreen: :clapping: :mrgreen:
You're right, I think, but that will never make it to the Governor's desk in that form. That change would allow CHL holders to carry in airport secure areas, in court houses and at polling places. I doubt seriously that will pass unamended.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

baldeagle wrote:You're right, I think, but that will never make it to the Governor's desk in that form. That change would allow CHL holders to carry in airport secure areas, in court houses and at polling places. I doubt seriously that will pass unamended.
That is the point of the bill.

Why should we not be able to defend ourselves in these locations? You should read Mr. Cotton's opinion piece on this bill on the Texas Firearm Coalition website - https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ry-conduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is silly to disarm when going to renew my car tags just because a JP court is located in the same building. It was silly to disarm to go into the local Sheriff Posse building when I went there to vote. If "municipal park and recreational patrolmen and security officers" can carry in these off limit areas, why can't Texas CHL license holders?
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

baldeagle wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
<snip>
You're right, I think, but that will never make it to the Governor's desk in that form. That change would allow CHL holders to carry in airport secure areas, in court houses and at polling places. I doubt seriously that will pass unamended.
You might be right in the end, but let's fight together to make 3218 happen in its current form. :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KD5NRH »

Jaguar wrote:I disagree, small colleges and universities may allow CC. I know Tarleton State University in Stephenville, my alma mater and the school both of my kids currently attend, would be in favor of at least having the discussion. Sure, they have a Humanities department that would be anti, but overall it is a very conservative school from the top down.
You're forgetting the anti-gun desk jockey they put in as police chief there a few years back.

IMO, one of the things we should do is take care of the "filler" problem in the state legislature. All those junk resolutions recognizing birthdays and such that get put forward just to kill time so real bills won't make it to the floor before the session ends. The solution as I see it is to get every group that has had a bill die that way in the last few sessions, regardless of their political stance, to stand together and tell their reps that it won't be tolerated anymore, and stand behind that by voting against any incumbent who introduced or sponsored any of the filler.

Or we could just demand that they stop playing favorites, and have one resolution each session to recognize all of the Texans who have had birthdays in the previous two years.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

KD5NRH wrote:IMO, one of the things we should do is take care of the "filler" problem in the state legislature. All those junk resolutions recognizing birthdays and such that get put forward just to kill time so real bills won't make it to the floor before the session ends. The solution as I see it is to get every group that has had a bill die that way in the last few sessions, regardless of their political stance, to stand together and tell their reps that it won't be tolerated anymore, and stand behind that by voting against any incumbent who introduced or sponsored any of the filler.

Or we could just demand that they stop playing favorites, and have one resolution each session to recognize all of the Texans who have had birthdays in the previous two years.
You know...I feel guilty now about getting the House to promote me to "Admiral of the Texas Navy"...I feel I earned it, but would be willing to table this promotion till 2015 if it means we get this CC bill through and signed into law...

All kidding aside... :thumbs2: :txflag:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

phd2b

Post by phd2b »

Just heard back from Rep Fletcher's office:

We had to get the bill moving. And we will work to amend on the floor. The sub as passed removes the felony penalty but imposes a class A misdemeanor, we are working on an amendment to decriminalize this portion.

We are working on a few other amendments for the floor as well to help move it closer to the original intent of the filed bill.

We should have some floor amendments ready later this week.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

phd2b wrote:Just heard back from Rep Fletcher's office:

We had to get the bill moving. And we will work to amend on the floor. The sub as passed removes the felony penalty but imposes a class A misdemeanor, we are working on an amendment to decriminalize this portion.

We are working on a few other amendments for the floor as well to help move it closer to the original intent of the filed bill.

We should have some floor amendments ready later this week.
Sounds very good. Nothing this big happens without a lot of hard work.

My thanks to you, Mr. Cotton and all those who are putting in those long hours to get it done.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Sounds like Fletcher believes the bill will make it to the floor. If true, that is good news indeed.

jmra

Post by jmra »

baldeagle wrote:Sounds like Fletcher believes the bill will make it to the floor. If true, that is good news indeed.
:iagree: good news indeed.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”