campus carry makes it to the floor

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texanjoker

campus carry makes it to the floor

Post by texanjoker »

Didn't see this posted yet..

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/219466 ... ampus-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A Texas House panel has voted to allow concealed handgun license holders to carry their weapons into college classrooms.

The measure has been opposed by state universities and gives schools a chance to opt out of the campus-carry provision if they first consult with students, faculty and staff. For campuses that still ban weapons, the bill reduces the penalty for a violation from a felony to a misdemeanor.

The 7-1 vote by the House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety sends the bill to the full House for consideration. The committee did not debate the bill before taking a vote.Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/219466 ... z2QCn2FFtC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reds45ACP
Posts in topic: 1

Re: campus carry makes it to the floor

Post by Reds45ACP »

I am not encouraged. The "opt out" is a cop-out. Also, there is a good chance this will just linger in calendar committee and never see the floor for vote.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Reds45ACP wrote:I am not encouraged. The "opt out" is a cop-out. Also, there is a good chance this will just linger in calendar committee and never see the floor for vote.
I agree on the opt out. i see that happening a lot.

apostate

Post by apostate »

texanjoker wrote:The 7-1 vote by the House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety sends the bill to the full House for consideration.
No it doesn't. There are still a few hurdles before it even has a chance to make it to the floor.

cw3van
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cw3van »

Just more PC junk can't for the life of me understand in Texas how this stuff gets so watered down if & I say if it gets into law how many campuses do you think are going to allow CC. :banghead:
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baldeagle »

cw3van wrote:Just more PC junk can't for the life of me understand in Texas how this stuff gets so watered down if & I say if it gets into law how many campuses do you think are going to allow CC. :banghead:
Zero. Guaranteed.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

I attended a town hall last night with my local State House Rep. Giovanni Capriglione is also the sponsor of HB 706 (campus carry). He reported that HB 706 was successfully voted out of committee on Thursday with a 7-1 vote (per the story linked in the OP).

I don't see that reflected in the record yet, but can't imagine he would report that incorrectly.

He also told the crowd that he felt good about the bills passage the rest of the way.

Bill tracking here: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also notable was the over-capacity crowd (standing room only) at 6:PM on a beautiful spring Friday evening. :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote:I attended a town hall last night with my local State House Rep. Giovanni Capriglione is also the sponsor of HB 706 (campus carry). He reported that HB 706 was successfully voted out of committee on Thursday with a 7-1 vote (per the story linked in the OP).

I don't see that reflected in the record yet, but can't imagine he would report that incorrectly.

He also told the crowd that he felt good about the bills passage the rest of the way.

Bill tracking here: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also notable was the over-capacity crowd (standing room only) at 6:PM on a beautiful spring Friday evening. :thumbs2:
I had a card posted on my fridge about that event, but was unable to attend because we had a regular dinner party that we host which met last night.

What was your impression of Capriglione? I haven't had a chance to meet him yet.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote:What was your impression of Capriglione? I haven't had a chance to meet him yet.
I liked him ALOT.
With only ~100 days under his belt he had a very detailed understanding on many important issues. And on things that he didn't know, he was not hesitant to say "I don't know." or "I haven't read that legislation yet".

He strikes me as a legislator that gets the facts before making decisions.

Example: An audience question about school funding came up... a woman brought a camera crew and was rigged for sound, she had notes prepared and had a serious chip on her shoulder about school funding. She even brought her young son and used him as a prop (not unlike BHO and the Sandy Hook families).... Her question came across as almost accusatory, but well researched... Without missing a beat, Capriglione explained in good detail for 5-6 solid minutes about the funding process, the budget process, a very real issue with State constitutionally-mandated budget caps, a not-insignificant debt that had to be paid from last year, the fiscal reality that a 2% rainy day fund only SOUNDS like a big number when you say the number, but it's less than 1 month of reserve, and that with sequestration and the shaky economic environment 2% reserve is actually way underfunded.... he demonstrated not only a clear understanding of the variables in the decision making process, but also of the need for putting fiscal responsibility before doing things "for the children". And his explanation was both approachable and factual. The audience broke into applause after his response. Afterward, after a brief 1-on-1 discussion on 2A issues, I thanked him for his very lucid explanation on school funding.

Color me impressed so far.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

RoyGBiv wrote:He also told the crowd that he felt good about the bills passage the rest of the way.
Is he willing to bet money on it? Isn't this a month later than campus carry got out of committee last session?
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

baldeagle wrote:
cw3van wrote:Just more PC junk can't for the life of me understand in Texas how this stuff gets so watered down if & I say if it gets into law how many campuses do you think are going to allow CC. :banghead:
Zero. Guaranteed.

Liberty University in VA is permitting CC by CHP holders. So zero may not be accurate.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

mamabearCali wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
Zero. Guaranteed.

Liberty University in VA is permitting CC by CHP holders. So zero may not be accurate.
That's in Virginia which is a pro gun state. Texas law already allows for opt-in and we see how few schools do that.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

phd2b

Post by phd2b »

If I understand this correctly, Rep Fletcher's HB 972 states:

(e) A private or independent institution of higher
education in this state, after consulting with students, staff, and
faculty of the institution, may establish rules, regulations, or
other provisions prohibiting license holders from carrying
handguns on premises that are owned or leased and operated by the
institution and located on the campus of the institution.

and it also states:

(a)(2) "Institution of higher education" and "private or
independent institution of higher education" have the meanings
assigned by Section 61.003, Education Code.

and Section 61.003, Education Code states:

(15) "Private or independent institution of higher education" includes only a private or independent college or university that is:(A) organized under the Texas Non-Profit Corporation Act (Article 1396-1.01 et seq., Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes);(B) exempt from taxation under Article VIII, Section 2, of the Texas Constitution and Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. Section 501); and(C) accredited by:(i) the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools;(ii) the Liaison Committee on Medical Education; or(iii) the American Bar Association.

THEREFORE

from what I understand, this is similar to the whole issue of private property owners and 30.06. So, TEXAS PUBLIC colleges and university's would NOT BE ABLE TO OPT OUT, only a "private or independent institution of higher education" would be able to opt out.

Personally, I would like the "opt out" removed, so that there would be Campus Carry at every college and university in Texas, but in reading discussions on 30.06, there is always alot of talk about the rights of private property owners, and how a CC'er is free to spend their money eslewhere.

So, I guess if you believe in the rights of a private property owner to post a 30.06, you likely should also believe that a private institution of higher education should have that same option.

If I am misunderstanding anything, I am willing to learn and re-evaluate.

That said, I guess the next steps are to put some pressure on the House Calendar Committee to schedule a vote, and then some work over on the Senate side, to get Sen Birdwell's SB 182 moving.
Last edited by phd2b on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

mamabearCali wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
Zero. Guaranteed.
This ain't VA. I seriously doubt any state university will allow carry (I work at one), and I'm almost certain no private university will. The only possible exception is Kilgore College because of its President (search the archives). UT schools are totally opposed to guns on campus and are run by liberals. I've given up the dream of carrying at work. It's never going to happen. Liberals would rather see 30 innocent people die than one bad guy go down. Criminals help them move toward their goal of enslaving free people.

Faculty are vehemently opposed. Even if students and staff support it, at a university the faculty get what they want no matter how unreasonable or unfair. When they don't get their way they act like two year olds, stomp and whine and take it out on everyone around them. Then they wield their nuclear weapon. If you do this I'll move my $3 million research project and my Nobel prize to another university. The administration folds like a cheap suit every time. Trust me. I've BTDT.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

phd2b wrote:from what I understand, this is similar to the whole issue of private property owners and 30.06. So, TEXAS PUBLIC colleges and university's would NOT BE ABLE TO OPT OUT, only a "private or independent institution of higher education" would be able to opt out.

Personally, I would like the "opt out" removed, so that there would be Campus Carry at every college and university in Texas, but in reading discussions on 30.06, there is always alot of talk about the rights of private property owners, and how a CC'er is free to spend their money eslewhere.

So, I guess if you believe in the rights of a private property owner to post a 30.06, you likely should also believe that a private institution of higher education should have that same option.

If I am misunderstanding anything, I am willing to learn and re-evaluate.

That said, I guess the next steps are to put some pressure on the House Calendar Committee to schedule a vote, and then some work over on the Seante side, to get Sen Bridwell's SB 182 moving.
That is the original bill. The committee substitute which is what passed out of committee changes public schools to opt-out and private schools to opt-in. It's a worthless watered down bill that does nothing. Texas schools already can allow carry if they want to. None do.

You have to understand. Universities are the bastion of liberals. They own them, run them like their personal fiefdoms and truck no opposition from free-thinking people. There are precious few exceptions, like Hillsdale College (which refuses to accept any federal funding including scholarships) and Liberty University. There's a few others, but not many. If you want a college education in America it's going to be liberal, it's going to be anti-American and it's going to promote communism both openly and subtly. That's reality.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”