If They Come for Your Guns, Do You Have a Responsibility

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Re: If They Come for Your Guns, Do You Have a Responsibility

Post by VMI77 »

E10 wrote:You may, by the letter and spirit of the constitution, have a right to fight, but you should understand that's a battle you're almost sure to lose, with up to fatal results. The cops or the feds are going to be better staffed, armed, and equipped than you are. Better to let them take your guns (those they can find, anyway) and fight the battle in the courts. It'll give Mr. Cotton something to do. The right to keep and bear arms doesn't mean much if you're not alive to exercise it.
I think your statement is the product of "normalcy bias" --basically that things will continue more or less as they are now. Right now, if you as an individual have your guns confiscated you can probably get them back in court, and yes, it would be stupid to commit suicide. But if the government is conducting mass confiscations in the wake of a gun ban then we will be under a government that recognizes no limits to its power and the choice will be between liberty and slavery. Personally, I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. Life is just not more important to me than my freedom. I'm way oversimplifying, and I'm sure the choices won't be so clear, but even if the choice is submit or die, I will die. If enough of us share this attitude then the attempted tyranny will fail, and perhaps never get started, even if a lot of us die in the process.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I've said this before but I will say it again. I watched a series called "The World At War" with my dad when I was a kid. The episode on the Holocaust left a massive and lasting impression on me. I simply cannot allow myself to ever let that happen to me. Once again, I make no claims to being a "tough guy".

Ziran
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ziran »

That article asks the wrong question.

The right question is:

What will do you when they come for your Neighbor's Guns ?

If the answer is nothing then it does not matter what you will do when they come for your guns.

This article is also very relevant to this discussion (and highly worth reading):

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-2 ... ng-save-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And so it is today. Washington is an unfettered beast. The system will NOT fix itself; the mechanisms to do that were lost a long time ago
Standing up against a beast like Washington DC is scary, to be sure. Understandably, not many people want to do such a thing. But if the beast is abusing you, what other choice do you have? You can certainly avoid or evade the beast, but we all know that the beast hurts people it catches avoiding it, so the risk of doing this isn’t zero either.

So, what’s a person to do? They hate their abuse, but outright disobedience would be scary. Unfortunately, many people have come up with a third option: Get someone else to do it for you.

Lots of writers have done this, for example: Write flamboyantly about the abuses people face and stir them to “rise up against the power.” Fairly seldom does the writer take big risks himself – he just stirs up others to do the scary stuff.
No one is going to ride in and save you.

If you want things to get better, then YOU will have to make them better. YOU will have to stand up and take the arrows, yourself. Liberty, at this stage of human development, requires risk and pain.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

K.Mooneyham wrote:I've said this before but I will say it again. I watched a series called "The World At War" with my dad when I was a kid. The episode on the Holocaust left a massive and lasting impression on me. I simply cannot allow myself to ever let that happen to me. Once again, I make no claims to being a "tough guy".
:iagree: Every American needs to watch that series.

Watch this video and see how close you think we are

http://patriotaction.net/forum/topic/sh ... hare_topic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

Ziran wrote:That article asks the wrong question.

The right question is:

If the answer is nothing then it does not matter what you will do when they come for your guns.

This article is also very relevant to this discussion (and highly worth reading):

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-2 ... ng-save-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And so it is today. Washington is an unfettered beast. The system will NOT fix itself; the mechanisms to do that were lost a long time ago
Standing up against a beast like Washington DC is scary, to be sure. Understandably, not many people want to do such a thing. But if the beast is abusing you, what other choice do you have? You can certainly avoid or evade the beast, but we all know that the beast hurts people it catches avoiding it, so the risk of doing this isn’t zero either.

So, what’s a person to do? They hate their abuse, but outright disobedience would be scary. Unfortunately, many people have come up with a third option: Get someone else to do it for you.

Lots of writers have done this, for example: Write flamboyantly about the abuses people face and stir them to “rise up against the power.” Fairly seldom does the writer take big risks himself – he just stirs up others to do the scary stuff.

If you want things to get better, then YOU will have to make them better. YOU will have to stand up and take the arrows, yourself. Liberty, at this stage of human development, requires risk and pain.
Beat you to it in a previous post. Great minds think a like.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

lrpettit wrote:IMHO, Our forefathers who fought the British army when they came to the door probably lost and didn't accomplish much. Those that banded together after they came to the door (and then fought) were probably much more effective. Reference the movie "The Patriot". I would be much more effective at helping to win "the war" after they took my guns then having a shootout on the front doorstep. I wouldn't let the enemy choose the ground and rules for the battle.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

It is only a gun you will be better off staying alive and losing a gun, You are the weapon the gun is just the tool. If the fecal mater hits the propeller there will be guns to spare. Learn other methods of fighting it will take more then guns to win.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Ziran wrote:That article asks the wrong question.

The right question is:

And unlike what happened in WW2, there will be no "America" to escape to. When there is nowhere to run it's fight or submit.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Dreamer42
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dreamer42 »

What guns? Seriously, I know we can research American military leaders from our history who will tell you that you need to fight on the field of your choosing where you have the advantage. Let them burst in? I'll probably let them win that one. But when/if that kind of action across this nation becomes routine, I'm not so sure I will sit and take it at that point. Who can tell.

Dreamer42
NRA
MVPA
USAR Engineers 10 yrs.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

VMI77 wrote:
And unlike what happened in WW2, there will be no "America" to escape to. When there is nowhere to run it's fight or submit.
There wasn't any escape to America for Jews then. We turned them away by the boatloads before and after the war.

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php ... d=10007094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php ... d=10005267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never forget
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 8

Post by baldeagle »

Rex B wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
There wasn't any escape to America for Jews then. We turned them away by the boatloads before and after the war.

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php ... d=10007094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php ... d=10005267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never forget
To our everlasting shame. And we did the same to the Vietnamese people. America has plenty of sins to atone for.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

baldeagle wrote:
Rex B wrote:
VMI77 wrote:

Never forget
To our everlasting shame. And we did the same to the Vietnamese people. America has plenty of sins to atone for.
And today, we'll send a family back to Germany to face prison for {{{gasp!!}}} HOME SCHOOLING THEIR CHILDREN!!! But on the flip side of that, we make sanctuary cities for illegals, get them on the public dole as fast as possible, and encourage them to vote illegally.

That's why democrats (and how) are killing this country.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SherwoodForest

Post by SherwoodForest »

Out of respect for the priceless blood of patriots already deposited at the alter of our liberty, I would not hesitate to add my own mixed with the blood of those serving tyrants.

This is not a threat. This is an obligation secured by an oath that I took at 8:30 AM on November 5, 1961.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

K.Mooneyham wrote:Does anyone really think, that if it comes to the government mass confiscating firearms, that the owners of those firearms would then be able to prevail in court? Do you believe that the government would actually go through the time and effort of mass confiscating firearms if they thought it might be thrown out in court? I'm pretty certain that if our nation gets to the point that the government feels at ease enough to send Federal agents door-to-door seizing firearms on a mass scale, that the time for courts will have passed. I hope I never see that day. I promise I am no combat veteran and I do not have those sorts of skills, but if I let them do that to me, then I would be living like a subject, not a citizen.

Recent events in the Boston area have proved out there will be little resistance.
Byron Dickens

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

E10 wrote:You may, by the letter and spirit of the constitution, have a right to fight, but you should understand that's a battle you're almost sure to lose, with up to fatal results. The cops or the feds are going to be better staffed, armed, and equipped than you are. Better to let them take your guns (those they can find, anyway) and fight the battle in the courts. It'll give Mr. Cotton something to do. The right to keep and bear arms doesn't mean much if you're not alive to exercise it.

The same might have been said about Jefferson, Adams, Washington, et al.

Better to die a free man than live as a slave.

Enjoy your chains.
Byron Dickens

styxx

Post by styxx »

I cannot help but to wonder how many of the saber rattlers on this thread have actually worn the uniform during times of conflict. I hear and listen far more closely to the thoughts of folks like irpettit and suthdj and E.Marques than any of the sabre rattlers.
:patriot:
Some days are better than others, but every day is a good day.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”