A Tax-Free Holiday on firearms?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ATDM
Posts in topic: 1

A Tax-Free Holiday on firearms?

Post by ATDM »

Apparently, Louisiana residents will have a tax-free holiday on the firearms this weekend.

What do y'all think about that? What can we do to make it happen in our home State?

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state ... plies.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I cling to my God — Jesus Christ.
I love my wife and kids.
I am proud to be an American and Texan.
And... I cling to my guns.

bizarrenormality

Re: A Tax-Free Holiday on firearms?

Post by bizarrenormality »

How do they get around the 11% federal tax on guns and ammo?

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

bizarrenormality wrote:How do they get around the 11% federal tax on guns and ammo?
Maybe they just decide not to enforcement that law. Hey, if it works for the DOJ, why not them?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Dave2 wrote:
bizarrenormality wrote:How do they get around the 11% federal tax on guns and ammo?
Maybe they just decide not to enforcement that law. Hey, if it works for the DOJ, why not them?

Like Button - pressed.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

ATDM wrote:Apparently, Louisiana residents will have a tax-free holiday on the firearms this weekend.

What do y'all think about that? What can we do to make it happen in our home State?

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state ... plies.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You will be lucky if Straus doesn't try to double the taxes on Guns and Ammo in Texas.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

More than likely, just state/local tax-free holiday like Texas does in August for school clothes & supplies and earlier in the year for Star-certified (energy efficiency rating) appliances.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

That tax is paid at the factory and does not show up on the sellers invoice.

:confused5

AEA

Post by AEA »

Typical Hidden Tax. :roll:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCannon »

mikeloc wrote:
That tax is paid at the factory and does not show up on the sellers invoice.

:confused5
Right. You never see that tax. It's a manufacturing tax. That's on top of the annual $2500 firearm and ammo manufacturers pay to the State Dept for ITAR fees. That's chump change for Remington, but if you assemble and sell even ONE AR-15 (or one 5.56mm cartridge) as an FFL, you will be required to cough up the ITAR fees (those are separate from the modest increased licensing fee you have to pay the ATF as a manufacturer of firearms or ammo).
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Bvhawk

Post by Bvhawk »

Just a thought, I believe we as Texans should be allowed to purchase firearms in the bordering 5 states and vis versa. I know of some great gun shops that I get to browse through because I'm not a resident of that state. Kinda like finding $99 mosins over the weekend and banging my head on the counter because I'm out of state. Could have ended up with one but didn't want to do anything that could be deemed sketchy. :banghead:
Sponsoring 1000's with my tax donations!!

When injustice becomes LAW, Resistance becomes DUTY!!

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCannon »

Bvhawk wrote:Just a thought, I believe we as Texans should be allowed to purchase firearms in the bordering 5 states and vis versa. I know of some great gun shops that I get to browse through because I'm not a resident of that state. Kinda like finding $99 mosins over the weekend and banging my head on the counter because I'm out of state. Could have ended up with one but didn't want to do anything that could be deemed sketchy. :banghead:
Well, a $99 Mosin isn't worth it, but always ask if you can buy and have it delivered to your local FFL. Sure, you pay shipping and transfer fees, but you don't pay taxes (technically).
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”