Two arrested at Austin Capitol during open carry rally

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Two arrested at Austin Capitol during open carry rally

Post by philip964 »

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article ... cmpid=hpts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did not identify themselves. Given the opportunity to leave. Open carrying black powder pistols.

I am unfamiliar with the law regarding open carrying black powder pistols made before 1900.

Or for that matter for failing to identify yourself when asked by LEO.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Two arrested at Austin Capitol during open carry rally

Post by Right2Carry »

philip964 wrote:http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article ... cmpid=hpts

Did not identify themselves. Given the opportunity to leave. Open carrying black powder pistols.

I am unfamiliar with the law regarding open carrying black powder pistols made before 1900.

You would think those idiots would have learned by now that they are going to be arrested if they carry black powder pistols.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

Right2Carry wrote:You would think those idiots would have learned by now that they are going to be arrested if they carry black powder pistols.
I wonder if some of our grandparents said the same about Blacks who tried to vote.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tomtexan »

Right2Carry wrote:

You would think those idiots would have learned by now that they are going to be arrested if they carry black powder pistols.
I guess I don't understand the point they are trying to make with the black powder pistols.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

tomtexan wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:

I guess I don't understand the point they are trying to make with the black powder pistols.
According to Texas law, they are not considered firearms if made before 1899.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

If they wanted attention, they got it.

jrandyw

Post by jrandyw »

My understanding is that these men were breaking no law. It seems they were arrested under authority law enforcement wish they had, rather than authority they actually have.
6/16/12 CHL
NRA Member

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

tbrown wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:You would think those idiots would have learned by now that they are going to be arrested if they carry black powder pistols.
I wonder if some of our grandparents said the same about Blacks who tried to vote.
Really you are going to go there with this type of comparrison? SMH
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

Right2Carry wrote:
tbrown wrote:
Really you are going to go there with this type of comparrison? SMH
Under the context of Civil Rights, what is the difference?

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

jrandyw wrote:My understanding is that these men were breaking no law. It seems they were arrested under authority law enforcement wish they had, rather than authority they actually have.
unless they are carrying documented proof that their black powder firearms were made before 1899 then I don't see how they are in the right. The officers can't be expected to make a determination on whether the firearms are genuine or fakes. The offenders will get their day in court to plead their case.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Lets keep this one on topic & nothing personal or sarcastic.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I have a black powder Navy .36 caliber cap and ball revolver, but it's a replica manufactured around 1975.

I don't of course, but if what they were carrying were also replicas...

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G.A. Heath »

Code: Select all

TPC 46.01(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:
(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or
(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.
Essentially a pre 1899 handgun, or a replica of one, is not considered a firearm by state law. With that said, I feel that the OC movement is taking the same "IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!" tactics that caused California to loose it's useless form of unloaded OC. If they are not carefull they can set things back a ways while supposedly working to move things forward. In the next session look for a bill to strike the exemption as firearms for pre-1899 and replicas, I can almost guarantee that we will see one, if they make too much of a fuss with the Long Gun OC you can also expect to see a bill (maybe the same one) to regulate OC or even just all carry) of long guns as well. These guys see themselves as Modern Day Rosa Parks and have these events looking for something like this arrest to happen. To them it is a painful, but required, step in the process of getting a court decision to educate police across the state as to what the law is.

Unfortunately many bad precidents have been set by those operating under the mentality of "It's my right, read the law because it says ..." The problem is that bad rulings happen all the time, and appeals cost money. So if you get a bad ruling in criminal court and appeal resulting in another a bad ruling, then can't afford an attorney so you rep yourself at the state supreme court level and get a bad ruling there due to the fool attorney/client you have caused more harm than good.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

One day these fools are going to get us all backed into a corner that we are going to be forced to fight our way out of.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Members of the group could be seen pressing troopers about why the demonstrators were handcuffed.

"rlol"

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”