Mother/Vet refused entry to school for CHL on Facebook

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 1

Mother/Vet refused entry to school for CHL on Facebook

Post by CHLLady »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/05/ar ... latestnews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mother and former Army soldier from Georgia was banned from school for posting a copy of her CH license on FB. The principal was scared of her! My gosh this woman is welcome at my child's school! There should be more of us!

:mad5 I'm hopping mad! This mom had to pull her child from the school!
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

ELB

Re: Mother/Vet refused entry to school for CHL on Facebook

Post by ELB »

:grumble
USAF 1982-2005

ChoqPOC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ChoqPOC »

unbelievable...
"Be so good, They can't ignore you"
CHL: May 2013 | NRA Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Before I pile on, I can't help but wonder if other circumstances caused the principal to become afraid of this woman. The article is silent on whether there were/are any other contributing factors. I would hope that a no trespass order barring me from my child's school would require some firmer ground than "he has a CHL".

I don't think we've been given all the facts yet.

If it's simply a principal that doesn't like guns, well.... all she needs to do is read the GA CHL statutes to be comforted.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1
Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in or on the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.
.... stuff snipped....
(b) (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person's control while within a school safety zone or at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

If that is what happened that is pretty bad.

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

More tax dollars going to lawsuits instead of text books...again.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Why do people post important information on facebook? Concealed means anonymous. Nobody should know. The school was still wrong but not too smart to post that you have a CHL.

ChoqPOC

Post by ChoqPOC »

I know several people on my facebook who broadcast they are either getting or have a CHL... My question to them... "But do you train..." Who cares if you have a CHL...
"Be so good, They can't ignore you"
CHL: May 2013 | NRA Member

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 6

Post by chasfm11 »

OK. My flame suit is on.

I do not fault the principal. Yes, the principal is a jerk. But this was a no trespass order issued for a public building...by whom? For what? I do appreciate that Georgia may have different laws but it is my understanding that in order to get even a restraining order, evidence of a threat must be presented to a judge. The judge involved should be asking some questions:

1. What is the school doing snooping on the Facebook pages of its parents? A valid explanation had better follow.
2. Was there any evidence of a threat and if so, specifically what was it? If the only evidence available is the picture of the CCW, the judge is a far bigger jerk than the principal and a judicial review needs to be held immediately. At a minimum, the judge needs a counseling session. I'd be included to request removal. There is no way on this green earth that a State issued identification, by itself, represents anything bad. Any judicial official who believes it does needs to have served their last day in that capacity.

Our educational system is rife with principals who believe that the schools are their own private fiefdoms and that somehow their unelected position gives them power of the community that they serve. I've personally dealt with too many of those types and I have absolutely no time for them. But they can only have the powers that officials from other branches of government grant to them. If the principal presented his or her incipient, unfounded fears of a concealed license a judge, the judge should have chewed him or her out and called the superintendent. How dare the school system attempt to trample on the rights of a parent to pick up their kid from school without cause

We, the people, need to start taking back our educational system. If stuff like this is allowed to ride, we are assuring that other things that go on inside the school will be even worse.

You don't even want to know what I think if it was LE on their own that allowed this to principal's order to stand without a judge.

If there were threats or attempts at intimidation by the parent, that resets everything. I can go off just a quickly on someone who threatens the school or its officials. I get it that posting a picture of the CCW on Facebook wasn't the smartest thing to do. I won't have done that. But it is also not a crime or a hint of another crime.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I am thinking there is a whole lot more to this story then just this little bit.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

chasfm11 wrote:OK. My flame suit is on.

I do not fault the principal. Yes, the principal is a jerk. But this was a no trespass order issued for a public building...by whom? For what? I do appreciate that Georgia may have different laws but it is my understanding that in order to get even a restraining order, evidence of a threat must be presented to a judge. The judge involved should be asking some questions:

1. What is the school doing snooping on the Facebook pages of its parents? A valid explanation had better follow.
2. Was there any evidence of a threat and if so, specifically what was it? If the only evidence available is the picture of the CCW, the judge is a far bigger jerk than the principal and a judicial review needs to be held immediately. At a minimum, the judge needs a counseling session. I'd be included to request removal. There is no way on this green earth that a State issued identification, by itself, represents anything bad. Any judicial official who believes it does needs to have served their last day in that capacity.

Our educational system is rife with principals who believe that the schools are their own private fiefdoms and that somehow their unelected position gives them power of the community that they serve. I've personally dealt with too many of those types and I have absolutely no time for them. But they can only have the powers that officials from other branches of government grant to them. If the principal presented his or her incipient, unfounded fears of a concealed license a judge, the judge should have chewed him or her out and called the superintendent. How dare the school system attempt to trample on the rights of a parent to pick up their kid from school without cause

We, the people, need to start taking back our educational system. If stuff like this is allowed to ride, we are assuring that other things that go on inside the school will be even worse.

You don't even want to know what I think if it was LE on their own that allowed this to principal's order to stand without a judge.

If there were threats or attempts at intimidation by the parent, that resets everything. I can go off just a quickly on someone who threatens the school or its officials. I get it that posting a picture of the CCW on Facebook wasn't the smartest thing to do. I won't have done that. But it is also not a crime or a hint of another crime.
Why would you need a flame retardant suit for that? The only problem I have with what you've said is that you don't fault the principal, but I agree that he is a jerk. However, the whole thing is probably based on his irrational fear of guns and has no idea that there are probably 20 other parents with CCWs with kids in his school that have not posted their licenses on FB. This whole thing is on him. He initiated it all. The judge is also an idiot if there were no credible threats or anything else, but he wouldn't even know about her if the principal hadn't been a weenie.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Why would anyone post their license on a facebook page?

Maybe she needs a badge too.

Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

Law of unintended consequences at work here.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I've seen some very interesting responses to those who are openly critical of the schools and our judicial system. We'll see how this thread goes from here.

Personally, the principal is entitled to his or her paranoia over guns. They can do that privately all they want. What set me off on this one is using the power of the school and/or the judiciary (verdict is still out on that) to amplify that paranoia. I'm sick of "but he/she was just protecting the school." :mad5

For me, this is in the same vain as the New York newspaper publishing the addresses of gun license holders "to protect the public." If we have any hope of expanding gun rights, we have to start finding a way to confront these situations as they happen.
Dum Spiro, Spero

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

chasfm11 wrote:I've seen some very interesting responses to those who are openly critical of the schools and our judicial system. We'll see how this thread goes from here.

Personally, the principal is entitled to his or her paranoia over guns. They can do that privately all they want. What set me off on this one is using the power of the school and/or the judiciary (verdict is still out on that) to amplify that paranoia. I'm sick of "but he/she was just protecting the school." :mad5

For me, this is in the same vain as the New York newspaper publishing the addresses of gun license holders "to protect the public." If we have any hope of expanding gun rights, we have to start finding a way to confront these situations as they happen.
I forgot to mention in my other reply to you that this whole thing actually started with the mom posting a picture of her CCW license on FB. I don't know if the principal's actions are potentially illegal or not or some kind of violation of her rights, but hers were neither. Hers was just dumb.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

C-dub wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:I've seen some very interesting responses to those who are openly critical of the schools and our judicial system. We'll see how this thread goes from here.

I forgot to mention in my other reply to you that this whole thing actually started with the mom posting a picture of her CCW license on FB. I don't know if the principal's actions are potentially illegal or not or some kind of violation of her rights, but hers were neither. Hers was just dumb.
:iagree: Also, neither of us understands the personal interactions, if there were any, between the mother and the principal. I cannot believe that the FB posting was the singular event in this matter. One of the most intriguing questions yet to be answered is how the principal knew about the FB picture.

I would doubt that the principal's actions were illegal. But, in the absence of any other evidence, they are an abuse of power.
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”