Straus buying support?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Straus buying support?

Post by RoyGBiv »

I thought this added to my understanding of the Straus situation. Thought it was worth sharing, although it's a few months old.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/burka-blog/ ... akers-race" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it is extremely unlikely that there will be a successful challenge to Joe Straus
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

Jason K wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Need term limits.
I disagree. I like my elected officials and I don't want other people deciding how long I can keep them in office. I also don't want to lose pro-gun folks or have people unresponsive to our issue because they won't be there long.
I agree. Instead, maybe we need to start educating voters in districts with politicians like Strauss....and, by educating, I mean spending money to help opponents to beat bad pols--no matter what party.

it's not a matter of term limits...well, ok, I suppose that would fix it....but remember that would fix the politicians you like, too.

In this situation it's a matter of Strauss had an opponent that absolutely no one knew about. the guy had a few signs and I don't believe ran any ads. no one knew anything about him....and this isn't the first time he's run, that's the sad thing, he's run against him before, I recognized his name from his sign. I live less than 2 miles away from Strauss's district. I'd love to be able to vote against him, I'd love to help this other guy campaign, but I didn't know he was running again until it was too late. I can only assume the problem is financial.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

mojo84 wrote:Need term limits.
There are term limits. They come around every 2 years for the Texas house. The problem you want to fix is ignorance. Good luck with that... :tiphat:

Larry
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mojo84 »

No term limits = Straus and his coalition can maintain control of their "jobs" and the power to control what laws are given a chance to pass.

I know it's not a perfect solution but I think it would help eliminate some of the career politicians that maintain a stronghold on the power in the Texas legislature and enjoy significant self enrichment through their position.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

polly

Post by polly »

If somebody votes in November for the guys who made Straus the Speaker last year, they shouldn't complain if history repeats itself next year. :nono:

bigbang

Post by bigbang »

A vote for a Straus supporter is a vote for Straus. Remind yourself every week between now and 11/4.
viewtopic.php?f=125&t=62468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a Glock 40. Fifty Cent. Too Short. All of them talk about a Glock 40. OK?
I'm the only one in this forum fool enough - that I know of - to shoot himself with a Glock 40.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I heard a straw poll was done at the Republican convention and 90+% picked the guy from Frisco (can't remember his name off hand). Can anyone confirm this? Wish it had some bearing on the real deal.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

bigbang wrote:A vote for a Straus supporter is a vote for Straus. Remind yourself every week between now and 11/4.
I think you make a valid point. However, what is the alternative in general election? I am a conservative and not a single issue voter, though gun rights are very important to me. If a Democratic candidate for the Texas legislature or senate articulated a very strong gun rights platform and wasn't way off my views on other issues, I would vote for him/her. However, in my precinct/district, the Republican primary is about it. In the last 5 years or so, I have made a stronger effort to understand the Republican primary elections and local "non-partisan" elections and vote. I am very busy working and supporting my family, but after 24 years of being a Texan (over half my life) I realize that if we just let the "low information voter" determine our fate, we will lose our cherished values/rights.

Anyway, my point is we who believe in 2nd amendment rights and other self determination/protection issues need to get more involved. It's an important part of citizenship.

-Scott
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

ScottDLS wrote:
bigbang wrote:A vote for a Straus supporter is a vote for Straus. Remind yourself every week between now and 11/4.
I think you make a valid point. However, what is the alternative in general election?
One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So voting for Straus or his supporters is insane, unless one likes what Straus did and wants more of it next year.
"hic sunt dracones"

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Captain Matt wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
I think you make a valid point. However, what is the alternative in general election?
One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So voting for Straus or his supporters is insane, unless one likes what Straus did and wants more of it next year.
So what's the alternative? Vote for Abortion Barbie and Hillary, because I'm mad at Strauss. He's not my rep. I vote in the Republican primary, then if my candidate loses and the Democrats put up their usual leftists, I vote for the Republican. I could waste my vote on the Libertarians...if I agreed with them, which I don't, but then I would risk being the right wing voter equivalent of Ralph Nader supporters in 2000. Thanks to them by the way for sparing us Al Gore.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Elections have consequences. Even primary elections, as they found out in Virginia recently.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

ScottDLS wrote: So what's the alternative? Vote for Abortion Barbie and Hillary, because I'm mad at Strauss.
At one time, I would agree with you. Now, since Vichy-Repubs like Strauss vote like Democrats anyway, I don't see that it does much harm to vote Dem just to get the VR scumout of office. It also gives us time to find a better candidate for the next election.

Sometimes the medicine is bitter.....

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jason K wrote:
ScottDLS wrote: So what's the alternative? Vote for Abortion Barbie and Hillary, because I'm mad at Strauss.
At one time, I would agree with you. Now, since Vichy-Repubs like Strauss vote like Democrats anyway, I don't see that it does much harm to vote Dem just to get the VR scumout of office. It also gives us time to find a better candidate for the next election.

You can't be serious.

Chas.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Interesting reading for those curious about Straus.
http://votesmart.org/candidate/49917/jo ... 6WgQSco74c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jason K wrote:

You can't be serious.

Chas.
Kinda sad that it's a consideration these days....

What would be your solution to all the Dem-lite Vichy Republicans like Strauss who pretty much own their primary?

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”