Patterson endorses Dewhurst?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Patterson endorses Dewhurst?

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I most certainly consider this question to be gun/self-defense related because Jerry Patterson has been such a strong supporter and worker for firearms rights in Texas. I cannot say I feel that way about Dewhurst. I saw a thing on FB stating that Patterson is endorsing Dewhurst because of Dan Patrick having past monetary issues. Is that true? If so, where does that leave us when the next state legislative session comes around? Is everything firearms-related just going to be dead on arrival at that point?

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Patterson endorses Dewhurst?

Post by jmra »

Isn't Dewhurst the one who can't account for $1.3 million missing from his campaign fund?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The reason I posted the question is that I don't know what to think at this point. Hopefully someone with some inside baseball can fill us all in.

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Patterson and Patrick had a bitter dispute in the primary, the Dewhurst indorsement isn't a shocker, basically a "anybody but that guy" indorsement. That said, if Patterson thought Dewhurst was worth keeping, he wouldn't have run against him. For the time being I'm sticking with Patrick. :tiphat:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

howdy

Post by howdy »

I was a financial supporter of Patterson and I just got this email: I personally don't really care for either candidate.

Dear Edward,

This week, I announced my endorsement of David Dewhurst in the upcoming runoff for Lieutenant Governor. When we visited about my decision, I told him that I would be happy to endorse him or to endorse his opponent - whichever helped him the most!

While I was disappointed not to make the run off, this election is now down to a choice between two men. I believe the choice is very clear between these two.

We all know David's opponent is gifted with gab, however, I think Texans want the words spoken by their elected leadership to be more than words of political convenience and catchy bumper sticker phrases. I think Texans want a consistent message based on a consistent set of values and principles. I think Texans have an innate distrust of a politician who would call Senator Ted Cruz a liar in the summer of 2012, and then endorse Senator Ted Cruz for president a year later (after announcing for Lt. Governor) as did Dan Patrick.

Most importantly, David Dewhurst is the man I trust to put the needs of Texas above his personal political ambition in what will be his last term in office. He will be better able to lead the Senate and advance conservative legislation for the future of our state.

The alternative in this race is to vote for a man who has repeatedly violated honor and integrity in his campaign. David's opponent is a man who wields his faith as a weapon for personal and political gain. A man who has proven he will say anything to get elected. A man who has been caught in numerous lies, stretched many truths and changes his mind on the issues whenever it suits him. You can't tell me that disavowing his vicious attacks on Senator Cruz were not another example of Dan Patrick doing "whatever it takes" to fool the voters.

Privately, the majority of Senators in both parties do not trust David's opponent, and candidly, many are afraid of a guy who has radio stations poised to go after them if he feels challenged. That is not a recipe for leadership, it's a recipe for pandemonium when the Senate caucus changes their rules to strip the presiding officer of alll power except the ceremonial powers enumerated in the Texas constitution.

Time is growing short in this election and I'm going to be blunt. Texas is not so strong that it cannot be destroyed from within by deceit. If you value the truth over those who are less than truthful, then David Dewhurst is the best choice for you in the upcoming Primary Runoff election.

David Dewhurst is not perfect, but I have never once doubted that he loves Texas and her citizens more than his personal ambition or political career. His record of conservative leadership over the past 12 years has helped make Texas into the model for the rest of America.

I am proud to endorse him in this runoff election and I urge you to give him your vote as well.

For Texas,

Jerry Patterson
Texas Land Commissioner
Lt. Col., USMCR, ret.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

Dew is trying to claim an endorsement from Ron Paul, Paul has nothing up on any of his FB pages.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Here in the DFW area, the vitriol of negative attack ads being relentlessly played on TV started out with the ones Dewhurst was putting out there against Patrick. They have been pretty ugly. For quite a while, I saw only the ones from Dewhurst. Now some from Patrick are playing also in what looks like self defense but they still seem less ridiculous than the Dewhurst ads. Come on guys. Having two politicians who belong to the same side sink to low classless and childish behavior does not inspire voters. Talk about what YOU will do if you are in office. What YOU think of the issues facing voters. Dewhurst disappointed me when he tried to use his office to get special treatment for a relative in jail. The recordings of him demanding the personal phone numbers of people and repeating who he is made me want to toss him out of office on the spot. Patterson seemed to us to be an outstanding choice if he had made it to this point. If Patterson is endorsing Dewhurst, I would like to know more about his reasons. We are so turned off by Dewhurst's attack dog behavior it will take a good reason not to vote against him. I would like to know what Charles' take on it is.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

Dewhurst pretty much turned me off during the campaign between him and Cruz for Senate. I also figure that it was under his watch that this Democrat candidate for Gov staged a surprise filibuster.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

howdy wrote:We all know David's opponent is gifted with gab, however, I think Texans want the words spoken by their elected leadership to be more than words of political convenience and catchy bumper sticker phrases. I think Texans want a consistent message based on a consistent set of values and principles. I think Texans have an innate distrust of a politician who would call Senator Ted Cruz a liar in the summer of 2012, and then endorse Senator Ted Cruz for president a year later (after announcing for Lt. Governor) as did Dan Patrick.

Most importantly, David Dewhurst is the man I trust to put the needs of Texas above his personal political ambition in what will be his last term in office. He will be better able to lead the Senate and advance conservative legislation for the future of our state.

The alternative in this race is to vote for a man who has repeatedly violated honor and integrity in his campaign. David's opponent is a man who wields his faith as a weapon for personal and political gain. A man who has proven he will say anything to get elected. A man who has been caught in numerous lies, stretched many truths and changes his mind on the issues whenever it suits him. You can't tell me that disavowing his vicious attacks on Senator Cruz were not another example of Dan Patrick doing "whatever it takes" to fool the voters.

Privately, the majority of Senators in both parties do not trust David's opponent, and candidly, many are afraid of a guy who has radio stations poised to go after them if he feels challenged. That is not a recipe for leadership, it's a recipe for pandemonium when the Senate caucus changes their rules to strip the presiding officer of alll power except the ceremonial powers enumerated in the Texas constitution.

Time is growing short in this election and I'm going to be blunt. Texas is not so strong that it cannot be destroyed from within by deceit. If you value the truth over those who are less than truthful, then David Dewhurst is the best choice for you in the upcoming Primary Runoff election.

David Dewhurst is not perfect, but I have never once doubted that he loves Texas and her citizens more than his personal ambition or political career. His record of conservative leadership over the past 12 years has helped make Texas into the model for the rest of America.

I am proud to endorse him in this runoff election and I urge you to give him your vote as well.

For Texas,

Jerry Patterson
Texas Land Commissioner
Lt. Col., USMCR, ret.
That is incredibly damning, and from a guy that I have some trust in.
I'm not a fan of either Dewhurst or Patrick, but WAS leaning Patrick.
Basically, Patterson hits on all the things I was concerned about with Patrick and tells me I was not only right to be concerned, but that Patrick faces animosity from within the Statehouse as well... Not very promising if we need the LtG to get people working together to pass legislation.

This has caused me to reconsider.

And talk about not pulling any punches. Wow. :fire

Thanks for sharing this "Howdy"
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I've seen Dan Patrick's answer to every one of Dewhurst's attacks. I don't have a problem with him at all.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexasGal wrote:I would like to know what Charles' take on it is.
You have no idea how much I want to state my opinion!! I just can't.

Chas.

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TexasGal wrote:I would like to know what Charles' take on it is.
You have no idea how much I want to state my opinion!! I just can't.

Chas.
Then how bout an endorsement!?! :biggrinjester:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Patterson makes valid points. In rereading his letter, I see he acknowledges Dewhurst isn't perfect but points out his heart is for Texas. He also hits on the thing that bothered me most about Patrick during the first debates. He came across like he was interviewing for a position as a fervent but cheesy televangelist instead of political office. It was difficult to know if he was proclaiming faith or using faith. One, I have no problem with. The other most certainly.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

howdy

Post by howdy »

Let me start out by saying Dewhurst is married to my wife's cousin, I don't really like Patrick and I voted for Patterson....BUT this is over the top..dirty politics:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

before you make a decision, go to Patrick's FB page, read how he answers all of dew's attacks. if you don't have access, I can probably copy it here, he address every one of them, Dew is acting like a teenager, and that's how Cruz got elected....well, that and that he was the best man for the job, but it wasn't name recognition. ;-) Texas doesn't like dirty politics, you would have thought he'd learned.
~Tracy

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”