German Penal Law Applies in Montana Shooting???

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: German Penal Law Applies in Montana Shooting???

Post by EEllis »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
suthdj wrote:whats wrong with setting traps, ever heard of "bait cars". No one forced the thief, I mean poor innocent young student, to enter the garage.
Because they aren't cops.
No, in one case it to catch a bg the other to kill one. He isn't being charged with baiting the kid but killing him.

CowboyEngineer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CowboyEngineer »

If leaving your garage door up and having an alarm system is considered setting a trap, then I am in big trouble. I don't know if the kid deserved to be shot but if you are shopping in someone else's garage at night you shouldn't expect a hug. Whether the kid was a homegrown thief or a foreign exchange thief doesn't matter to me. My sympathy is with the shooter.
NRA Life Member
Glock 23
Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB

Unicorn Rancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

CowboyEngineer wrote:I don't know if the kid deserved to be shot but if you are shopping in someone else's garage at night you shouldn't expect a hug. Whether the kid was a homegrown thief or a foreign exchange thief doesn't matter to me. My sympathy is with the shooter.
:thumbs2: The foreign crook tried to victimize Americans and got some American justice.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Unicorn Rancher wrote:
CowboyEngineer wrote:I don't know if the kid deserved to be shot but if you are shopping in someone else's garage at night you shouldn't expect a hug. Whether the kid was a homegrown thief or a foreign exchange thief doesn't matter to me. My sympathy is with the shooter.
:thumbs2: The foreign crook tried to victimize Americans and got some American justice.
The homeowner hung himself by running his mouth. Otherwise we aren't discussing this event.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

CowboyEngineer

Post by CowboyEngineer »

See my original post on this thread.
NRA Life Member
Glock 23
Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

CowboyEngineer wrote:If leaving your garage door up and having an alarm system is considered setting a trap, then I am in big trouble. I don't know if the kid deserved to be shot but if you are shopping in someone else's garage at night you shouldn't expect a hug. Whether the kid was a homegrown thief or a foreign exchange thief doesn't matter to me. My sympathy is with the shooter.
It became "setting a trap" when they told a witness that they were setting a trap. IOW, it wouldn't have been if they hadn't expressly said so themselves.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

CowboyEngineer wrote:If leaving your garage door up and having an alarm system is considered setting a trap, then I am in big trouble. I don't know if the kid deserved to be shot but if you are shopping in someone else's garage at night you shouldn't expect a hug. Whether the kid was a homegrown thief or a foreign exchange thief doesn't matter to me. My sympathy is with the shooter.

Of course it's pretty clear; the homeowner acted within his property rights, but I think the verdict will hinge on intent. The homeowner acted irresponsibly in shooting as he did, and I think he merely fired just to scare....but he did run off at the mouth before hand.

I am not a bleeding heart liberal, but I'm just not comfortable with the homeowner's actions.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

Verdict may hinge on whether the jurors are from Montana or foreigners from California, Colorado, Germany, England, etc.

Topic author
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Tic Tac wrote:Verdict may hinge on whether the jurors are from Montana or foreigners from California, Colorado, Germany, England, etc.
:iagree:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Tic Tac wrote:Verdict may hinge on whether the jurors are from Montana or foreigners from California, Colorado, Germany, England, etc.
Property rights are all good and everything but this guy, in theory, was hunting for bg's like they were deer and he was in a blind by a feeder. You can shoot to protect yourself, to protect property, but not to kill them as punishment or as revenge. Now that intention is almost impossible to prove except he ran his mouth to everyone about his intention. Maybe some on here should also think about their comments.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

:thumbs2: There's no way I could convict in good conscience if one of my neighbors shot a burglar inside their home.

Nonetheless, the story is a good reminder that "loose lips sink ships" and "silence is golden."
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Jim Beaux wrote:
I don't think that many people from California, New York, New Jersey, Germany or England immigrate to Montana. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

WildBill wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:
I don't think that many people from California, New York, New Jersey, Germany or England immigrate to Montana. :mrgreen:
And then become naturalized citizens, so they can serve on a jury...? :confused5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

WildBill wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:
But this is in Missoula, MT. College town and liberal mecca, kind of like Austin is to Texas.

I have family there, and they are outraged, outraged I say, over this shooting - guy laid a trap and killed an innocent young exchange student for no other reason then to prove he was a man. Kids do the craziest things and this poor young boy was just trying to fit in with his friends and we should allow, no promote this type of behavior. If you don't want people to steal stuff from you, you should not have stuff someone would find enticing. Oh, and hydraulic fracturing oil drilling is going to cause the globe to explode.

Liberals. :banghead:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Sim597

Post by Sim597 »

I'm not saying one way or the other, about if it's right. I will however say this, as an American I am pretty sure we might have some "law" that applies the same way for US citizens. As I don't even have a passport, it's not on my radar, I am positive someone here knows if we also have similar rights abroad, I mean, let's be fair, the USA gave Germans and Japanese what is basically a 2nd bill of rights (we were to have also, except FDR died before implementing) where it's a law they have medical insurance for all, and about five more things we don't have on our own bill of rights . I wish I could remember more, but it would have been a good thing had we given ourselves what we gave our enemies.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”