Avoid Maryland

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Avoid Maryland

Post by chasfm11 »

I've posted these items before but they are worth repeating here.

I wish that I could avoid Maryland. My sister's family is in Ephrata, PA. We drove there in our RV last Fall. Out of 1,500 miles on I-30,I-40 and I-81 to get us to Pennsylvania, there is a 12 mile stretch of the latter road in Maryland. We have been making the trip pretty much yearly since 1988 and I have yet to be stopped. But we stop for diesel in Winchester, VA (the last decent price) and I go through the FOPA thing there to put up my pistol. I've always figured that the Texas plates on our vehicles make me a LE magnet in MD.

Maryland isn't all the same. I worked in Wilmington, DE and had the Eastern Shore of MD as part of my territory for a number of years. Members of this forum would find a lot of kindred spirits there. It is pickup truck, gun loving country that is the polar opposite of Baltimore. We've driven through Kentucky to get PA. When we do that, we are in MD a lot longer But Western MD is very much like the Eastern Shore by all accounts. There are groups there that have tried to cession from the Baltimore lead overlords. Sadly, the number of sheep in control of the failed, corrupt Democratic establishment has kept the rural population at bay. It would not surprise me to see those groups come alive again if Virginia counties become aggressive about dumping Richmond. If you isolated Baltimore and Richmond from the rest of the surrounding area, things would be a lot different.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

When I was drag racing I often traveled to east coast anti-gun states. I always carried a loaded firearm in my vehicle and depending on the State carried concealed when away from my vehicle. At the time I never really considered the consequences of being pulled over and searched, It just simply was very low on the possibility scale. I think back now and realize how lucky I may have been. These days a Texas license plate is probably equivalent to a "gun on board" sign for North Eastern states.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-man-aslee ... 30443.html

Man asleep when police shot him to death from outside his house at 4:30 am. He was in bed with his girlfriend at his parents house.

Was a computer programmer.

Raided house because of his guns, I think not sure.

Mentioned boogaloo in a social media post.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... ncan-lemp/

More on my the predawn SWAT raid on a home murdering a computer programmer in his sleep.

A 3 month old anonymous tip that he had guns in his parents house despite having a juvenile record led to the no knock raid.

Says he was helping a gun group with a secure pro gun website. This may have led to the police interest in him.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/law ... g-69587748

Police have refused to release body cam footage of shooting.

Very similar to recent events in Louisville except this time the person is Caucasian and instead of drugs it is guns.

Tip lead to warrant. Near as I can tell he was Swatted. Member of Boogaloo movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Duncan_Lemp

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/100-arrested-dur ... 53323.html

100 arrested at pop up car rally. Revving engines, burning rubber, being roudy.

No reports of looting, arson or injuries, thus all the arrests.

03Lightningrocks

philip964 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:15 pm https://news.yahoo.com/100-arrested-dur ... 53323.html

100 arrested at pop up car rally. Revving engines, burning rubber, being roudy.

No reports of looting, arson or injuries, thus all the arrests.
Yep. They should have set some stuff on fire first. Then it would have been called a peaceful protest.

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Man, just found out today I have to drive to Pennsylvania in next day. Route appears to be through LA, MS, Al, TN, VI, MD, and then in PA. I see this post on front page but post was started in 2014 but quick search states MD has reciprocity with TX (?). Any quick advice on when to lock up gun and ammo separate? Then, I read NJ, where I don't have to go but is border to where going is no hollow-point. As much as I hate to, I'm thinking leave gun at home rather than chance what I don't have time to research. Any input, anyone?

pushpullpete
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pushpullpete »

Archery1 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:02 pm Man, just found out today I have to drive to Pennsylvania in next day. Route appears to be through LA, MS, Al, TN, VI, MD, and then in PA. I see this post on front page but post was started in 2014 but quick search states MD has reciprocity with TX (?). Any quick advice on when to lock up gun and ammo separate? Then, I read NJ, where I don't have to go but is border to where going is no hollow-point. As much as I hate to, I'm thinking leave gun at home rather than chance what I don't have time to research. Any input, anyone?
Texas recognizes the few carry licenses that Maryland issues, Maryland DOES NOT recognize Texas. Check the NRA website or gunlaws.com
or one of many other websites for other states gun laws, to be sure. When I've gone, I take two separate lock boxes. One for tool, other for
bullets (FMJ).

:patriot: :txflag:

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

pushpullpete wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:03 pm
Archery1 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:02 pm Man, just found out today I have to drive to Pennsylvania in next day. Route appears to be through LA, MS, Al, TN, VI, MD, and then in PA. I see this post on front page but post was started in 2014 but quick search states MD has reciprocity with TX (?). Any quick advice on when to lock up gun and ammo separate? Then, I read NJ, where I don't have to go but is border to where going is no hollow-point. As much as I hate to, I'm thinking leave gun at home rather than chance what I don't have time to research. Any input, anyone?
Texas recognizes the few carry licenses that Maryland issues, Maryland DOES NOT recognize Texas. Check the NRA website or gunlaws.com
or one of many other websites for other states gun laws, to be sure. When I've gone, I take two separate lock boxes. One for tool, other for
bullets (FMJ).

:patriot: :txflag:
Thanks! I've been studying and it does seem like Maryland is my only major concern. I've packed a lockbox for gun and a lockbox for bullets. I'm assuming that will safely, or at least ease fear, and get me through MD on to PA?

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Man, just found out today I have to drive to Pennsylvania in next day. Route appears to be through LA, MS, Al, TN, VI, MD, and then in PA.
Pennsylvania via the Virgin Islands? Man that's a long drive! :biggrinjester: Just kidding. You will want to lock the gun (unloaded) and ammo (separately) in the trunk and minimize stops in MD, then you'll be fine when you get to PA.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

If you are traveling on I-81, you will also be going through West Virginia. On that route, there are only 12 miles in Maryland. We have done the trip often. We have a diesel RV and diesel fuel North of Virginia has a lot more taxes so we stop North of Winchester and fill up. I take the time there to empty my EDC, take the ammo out of the mag and lock up the empty pistol.

We've been driving that route since 1988 and have yet to have any sort of a problem in MD. I adhere to all speed limits even though the vehicles around me are not. I'm always happy to cross into PA. BTW, our last trip had heavy construction in WVA.

I would not, repeat would NOT take I-95 if you decide to take your pistol. I'm not too worried about the MD State Police on I-81 but I used to work in periodically Gaithersburg and often drove there from Philly on I-95. The MD police were VERY active. On another note, radar detectors are illegal in VA and that State is very active on I-81 checking speed and the presence of detectors.
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:30 pm
If you are traveling on I-81, you will also be going through West Virginia. On that route, there are only 12 miles in Maryland. We have done the trip often. We have a diesel RV and diesel fuel North of Virginia has a lot more taxes so we stop North of Winchester and fill up. I take the time there to empty my EDC, take the ammo out of the mag and lock up the empty pistol.

We've been driving that route since 1988 and have yet to have any sort of a problem in MD. I adhere to all speed limits even though the vehicles around me are not. I'm always happy to cross into PA. BTW, our last trip had heavy construction in WVA.

I would not, repeat would NOT take I-95 if you decide to take your pistol. I'm not too worried about the MD State Police on I-81 but I used to work in periodically Gaithersburg and often drove there from Philly on I-95. The MD police were VERY active. On another note, radar detectors are illegal in VA and that State is very active on I-81 checking speed and the presence of detectors.
I use to drive through VA often on racing trips. I remember seeing the signs from the instant we entered VA. Not only did I turn mine off I would hide it under the seat. LOL...

I know it was risky but I always just kept my hand gun under the floor mat. That was 12-15 years ago and I don't think the anti gun thing was near as bad as it is now. Looking back it could have gotten me in some serious trouble I suppose.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

Why go through Maryland at all. Skip up north east of Maryland and then across PA to wherever you need to get to.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

C-dub wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:31 pm Why go through Maryland at all. Skip up north east of Maryland and then across PA to wherever you need to get to.
Part of it depends on where you are going in PA. We go to Lancaster County. If you enter through West Virginia in PA or through Ohio and need to go to some place in PA in the lower part, the only option is the PA Turnpike. No only is the road terrible but the tolls are very high. Drive it from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. (Willow Grove) and the passenger car toll is $45. For our RV, that toll is $94. If you go north to I-80, there are no tolls. You end up having to go through Western Maryland to get o Altoona and State College and spend a lot more time in MD that way.
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”