Dr. Ben Carson on Gun Control following the OR shooting.

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rrash
Posts in topic: 1

Dr. Ben Carson on Gun Control following the OR shooting.

Post by Rrash »

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/politics ... /73370350/

A few interesting quotes:
1:
the lesson of the nation's latest mass shooting isn't to enact more limits on guns but to consider whether gun-free zones actually may be drawing shooters.
2:
Carson endorsed expanding efforts to identify and treat the mentally ill before they commit acts of violence.
3:
He also suggested it might make sense to arm kindergarten teachers, and he rejected as wrong-headed proposals to restore the ban on military-style assault weapons.
4:
While Carson once supported the idea of banning assault weapons and armor-piercing ammunition, he says he changed his mind after he read more about the history of tyranny....

...Asked whether many Americans worried less about the threat from the government and more about the threat of fellow citizens armed with assault rifles, Carson replied: "You need to be able to protect yourself from both."

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dr. Ben Carson on Gun Control following the OR shooting.

Post by Taypo »

Rrash wrote:http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/politics ... /73370350/

A few interesting quotes:
1:
the lesson of the nation's latest mass shooting isn't to enact more limits on guns but to consider whether gun-free zones actually may be drawing shooters.
2:
Carson endorsed expanding efforts to identify and treat the mentally ill before they commit acts of violence.
3:
He also suggested it might make sense to arm kindergarten teachers, and he rejected as wrong-headed proposals to restore the ban on military-style assault weapons.
4:
While Carson once supported the idea of banning assault weapons and armor-piercing ammunition, he says he changed his mind after he read more about the history of tyranny....

...Asked whether many Americans worried less about the threat from the government and more about the threat of fellow citizens armed with assault rifles, Carson replied: "You need to be able to protect yourself from both."
So we have another politician reversing his previous position on guns. Is it genuine?

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Taypo wrote:
Rrash wrote:4:

So we have another politician reversing his previous position on guns. Is it genuine?
Dunno, but being willing to change your mind after learning more about an issue is a good thing.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

FWIW, Rubio is saying the same things as of this mornings news.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

This is a good thing.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Dave2 wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Rrash wrote:4:

Dunno, but being willing to change your mind after learning more about an issue is a good thing.
I agree completely, but there's no trust that it's actually a change in thinking.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

‘When someone persuades me that I am wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?’

Attributed to John Maynard Keynes.

Of course, he was an economist. It was said of economists "if Parliament asked six economists for an opinion on any subject they always got seven answers. Two from John Maynard Keynes."
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Sure people can change their minds. The first time that I was old enough to vote, I voted Democrat, never again did I make that mistake.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

John Galt wrote:Sure people can change their minds. The first time that I was old enough to vote, I voted Democrat, never again did I make that mistake.
I'll be darned.

My parents voted Republican all their lives, but since their deaths, they've been voting Democrat.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

JALLEN wrote:
John Galt wrote:Sure people can change their minds. The first time that I was old enough to vote, I voted Democrat, never again did I make that mistake.
I'll be darned.

My parents voted Republican all their lives, but since their deaths, they've been voting Democrat.
That sounds like someone changed their minds for them. :smilelol5:

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

I like Ben Carson and hope he does well in the race .

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JALLEN wrote:
I'll be darned.

Now that there is funny. I voted democrat from 1972 to 1992. I cast my first vote as a republican in 1996, and my last vote as a republican in 2012. I am now a Liberative Conservatarian, and an independent.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
I'll be darned.

Now that there is funny. I voted democrat from 1972 to 1992. I cast my first vote as a republican in 1996, and my last vote as a republican in 2012. I am now a Liberative Conservatarian, and an independent.
As another well-versed Californian once said:

Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I liked Ben a whole lot, until his statement on Assault weapons. I'm not claiming the guy to be a lier, bandwagonner, politician, or any of the such; I really like his demeanor and even the rest of his platform, as well as his background. All that I am saying is it disappointed me when he said assault weapons should only be legal for people in "rural" areas.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”