Slipping Away?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Slipping Away?

Post by thatguyoverthere »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/21/opinions/ ... index.html
...six states -- Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, New York, Oregon and Washington -- have expanded Brady background checks to all gun sales. We are already on the ballot next year in Nevada for a citizen's initiative, and Maine will soon follow. Ballot initiatives, where citizens can vote directly on a new law, illuminate a true path forward. Turns out it's a lot easier for the gun lobby to bully a small number of politicians than to bully millions of voters. After we win in Maine and Nevada, there are 14 more states that have the ballot initiative process that don't have expanded background checks. We will continue our march across this country, one state at a time...

-- Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... ?tid=sm_fb
Rural Americans tend to oppose gun control, with 63 percent saying that gun rights are more important than gun control. The country, however, is becoming less rural and more urban. Recent years have witnessed a significant increase in the number of people living in cities, with big metropolitan areas experiencing double-digit growth.

This shift, like that on race, is a boon for gun control. Urban residents strongly prefer gun control to gun rights (60 percent to 38 percent), for reasons that aren’t hard to understand. When gun violence is on your television news every night and police are commonplace, people may come to view guns more as a threat than a savior.

-- Adam Winkler, UCLA School of Law professor and author of "Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America."
Bluster? Maybe. Excessive optimism? Perhaps. But no one can deny that we have "lost" in six states already in regards to "universal background checks." Not to mention other new and existing restrictions put in place by other states and even municipalities.

Where does it end? How do we prevent further losses? Or is the clock simply running down?

TVegas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Slipping Away?

Post by TVegas »

The clock is absolutely running, but we have the ability to change how fast the clock runs and in which direction it turns.

The opinion is shifting in urban centers and with ethnic minorities. We just have to keep being good representatives and stewards of the gun culture.
:txflag: Thanks and Gig 'em! :thumbs2:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Support for gun control is declining throughout the nation. This includes urban areas, so the claims about the demographics being against us are pure wishful thinking. That said, we have to increase our efforts to spread the truth about guns to offset the anti-gun dream team of Bloomberg and "mainstream" media and their anti-gun propaganda.

Chas.

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

thatguyoverthere wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/21/opinions/ ... index.html
...six states -- Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, New York, Oregon and Washington -- have expanded Brady background checks to all gun sales. We are already on the ballot next year in Nevada for a citizen's initiative, and Maine will soon follow. Ballot initiatives, where citizens can vote directly on a new law, illuminate a true path forward. Turns out it's a lot easier for the gun lobby to bully a small number of politicians than to bully millions of voters. After we win in Maine and Nevada, there are 14 more states that have the ballot initiative process that don't have expanded background checks. We will continue our march across this country, one state at a time...

-- Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... ?tid=sm_fb
Rural Americans tend to oppose gun control, with 63 percent saying that gun rights are more important than gun control. The country, however, is becoming less rural and more urban. Recent years have witnessed a significant increase in the number of people living in cities, with big metropolitan areas experiencing double-digit growth.

This shift, like that on race, is a boon for gun control. Urban residents strongly prefer gun control to gun rights (60 percent to 38 percent), for reasons that aren’t hard to understand. When gun violence is on your television news every night and police are commonplace, people may come to view guns more as a threat than a savior.

-- Adam Winkler, UCLA School of Law professor and author of "Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America."
Bluster? Maybe. Excessive optimism? Perhaps. But no one can deny that we have "lost" in six states already in regards to "universal background checks." Not to mention other new and existing restrictions put in place by other states and even municipalities.

Where does it end? How do we prevent further losses? Or is the clock simply running down?
We need to keep a close eye on those states to see how successful the laws are or if they flop.

Making laws is easy, enforcement is another matter.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Look at the shaded truths that were published and stated to get background checks passed on Oregon. Also, they claimed that 90% of the people wanted more background checks. When the votes were tallied they only received 60 some percent of the vote.

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Now, how do they intend to enforce the law if they don’t know who owns what? They will now have to push for registration and even an idiot will be able to see they have been played. I would hope a vast number of gun owners just don't comply.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Notice what six states were mentioned? New York, New Jersey, Washington, Oregon, and Connecticut are all liberal stink holes last time I checked, that were already against gun ownership. Colorado seems to have shifted the past several years, all but thanks to the all the liberals flooding into and infecting the state. Used to be one of my favorite places.

So they think because they can get six states that are already uber-liberal to do this, they think they have some momentum to push their agenda elsewhere? Not likely. Welcome to reality, I'm armed, and you don't like it, but you ain't gettin' it! :lol:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Charlies.Contingency

MeMelYup wrote:Look at the shaded truths that were published and stated to get background checks passed on Oregon. Also, they claimed that 90% of the people wanted more background checks. When the votes were tallied they only received 60 some percent of the vote.
Very shaded truths. Last time I visited that side of the country, I got to talk to a politician from Washington. I remember arguing with him about guns, and then he made a smug statement. "You see that tower there, from atop of it, I can see every vote I need that matters in this state. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks or says, if I can get those right here to agree with me, I have already won."

That would have been the "space needle" of Seattle. Most of Washington was pleasant, except for the majority of everything West of the Cascades. Beautiful country to the West, and a lot of "Texas" like country towns I guess you could say. Too bad they get bullied around by the idiots from Sea-Tac. That's the way politics works over there though.

Topic author
thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:Colorado seems to have shifted the past several years, all but thanks to the all the liberals flooding into and infecting the state. Used to be one of my favorite places.
Exactly. And that's the trend that scares me. If it can happen in Colorado, why not Nevada? Arizona? New Mexico? Texas? I certainly would hope not, but who would have thought so of Colorado 20 years ago. Even 10 years ago.

That's why we need to make people aware of our right to bear arms, and of our need to do so, and our desire to do so.

As others have pointed out, we are not going to win over the hard core anti's. But there are a lot of people who can be convinced. We just have to stay in the fight.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm a bit unclear on something here. Did the people actually vote on this or was it the legislators that passed the laws as their representatives?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:Look at the shaded truths that were published and stated to get background checks passed on Oregon. Also, they claimed that 90% of the people wanted more background checks. When the votes were tallied they only received 60 some percent of the vote.
Very shaded truths. Last time I visited that side of the country, I got to talk to a politician from Washington. I remember arguing with him about guns, and then he made a smug statement. "You see that tower there, from atop of it, I can see every vote I need that matters in this state. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks or says, if I can get those right here to agree with me, I have already won."

That would have been the "space needle" of Seattle. Most of Washington was pleasant, except for the majority of everything West of the Cascades. Beautiful country to the West, and a lot of "Texas" like country towns I guess you could say. Too bad they get bullied around by the idiots from Sea-Tac. That's the way politics works over there though.
Sounds like he was trying to tax the country folk without bothering to represent them.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Charlies.Contingency

Dave2 wrote:

Sounds like he was trying to tax the country folk without bothering to represent them.
Why should he in his world? They are the minority and do not matter.

I went into minorities, and what are real minorities and such, but I felt it may have been a bit too controversial for some to understand. Just remember that we can be the minority when it comes to votes, as long as it's is no longer popular to the common city folk, whom seem to matter most these days. Some of the most ill-informed to reality in this country sway what happens for the rest of us. :???:

Charlies.Contingency

thatguyoverthere wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:Colorado seems to have shifted the past several years, all but thanks to the all the liberals flooding into and infecting the state. Used to be one of my favorite places.
Exactly. And that's the trend that scares me. If it can happen in Colorado, why not Nevada? Arizona? New Mexico? Texas? I certainly would hope not, but who would have thought so of Colorado 20 years ago. Even 10 years ago.

That's why we need to make people aware of our right to bear arms, and of our need to do so, and our desire to do so.

As others have pointed out, we are not going to win over the hard core anti's. But there are a lot of people who can be convinced. We just have to stay in the fight.
Look at our Austinites, they keep Austin weird and blue. Look at the infection we've seen in Houston & Dallas the past few years! Even here at San Antonio, the Liberals are winning ground on many fronts it seems, not but thanks to the ill informed sheep who think the government is their protector.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Dave2 wrote:

Because they grow his food, mine the raw materials to build his buildings, and generate the electricity (and other forms of power) required to maintain his lifestyle. The democrats think our economy would suffer if we got rid of the illegal immigrants? Whatever economic impact that would have would be pale in comparison to what would happen if everyone outside the major cities went on strike.

His point of view constitutes what should be (in a politician anyway) a criminal lack of logistical & managerial understanding.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Charlies.Contingency

Dave2 wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

Because they grow his food, mine the raw materials to build his buildings, and generate the electricity (and other forms of power) required to maintain his lifestyle. The democrats think our economy would suffer if we got rid of the illegal immigrants? Whatever economic impact that would have would be pale in comparison to what would happen if everyone outside the major cities went on strike.

His point of view constitutes what should be (in a politician anyway) a criminal lack of logistical & managerial understanding.
Do we expect real logic from a liberal. I don't, because I have yet to witness it. Short term goals, and making "tomorrow" better, so lets throw away today seems to be their logic.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”