The Gun-Control Activist

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 1

The Gun-Control Activist

Post by dhoobler »

http://www.texasmonthly.com/list/in-the ... -activist/

They tripped up and used the expression "gun control" instead of "gun safety".
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Re: The Gun-Control Activist

Post by mojo84 »

She makes a big deal about the guns when they had nothing to do with her son killing her husband. Her son used a knife after a wrench didn't work. Then she speculates what could have happened with the guns. Nothing but scare tactics playing,on people's emotions to help advance her agenda. Why not blame the knife?

I believe they could have gotten him the help he needed via the courts if they really recognized how mentally ill be was and were committed to doing the right thing. Sounds to me like she is blaming others for her and her husband's poor decisions and inaction. It's everyone's and everything's fault so she can to avoid taking responsibility for how she raised her son.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

Lex did not shoot Scott. Let’s be clear. He stabbed Scott.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

I'm curious as to why they could not stop him from buying guns. Didn't they supply him with the money? If he was that unstable how was he able to hold a job? Why was he still living in their house if he was so dangerous? This sounds a lot like "after we failed our son, we want to be able to stop someone else from getting guns" even though, besides the fact that he owned guns, there was no indication of irresponsible use of them.
I know that mental illness is a major problem and that it is devastating to families who have to deal with it, but there are no suggestions in the article on how to better deal with mental illness, better treatment options, or support groups or anything else. This is just a way to try to push an agenda with laws, that would be very hard to enforce, and very easy to use to deny someone their 2A rights.

Sorry lady, your left wing is showing.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Sounds like she has just attached herself to a cause now. The article just seems overly emotional and unreasoned.
Last edited by MechAg94 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

smokejensen

Post by smokejensen »

Why didn't the poor lady join Moms for Pipe Wrench safety or Moms for Knife Safety ?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

mayor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mayor »

mojo84 wrote:I believe they could have gotten him the help he needed via the courts if they really recognized how mentally ill be was and were committed to doing the right thing. Sounds to me like she is blaming others for her and her husband's poor decisions and inaction. It's everyone's and everything's fault so she can to avoid taking responsibility for how she raised her son.
this is a wheel barrow full of horse muffins. getting help while the son is a minor is difficult and once the son reaches adulthood, getting help is impossible without his consent and if you haven't had to deal with something like mental illness, you are clueless. and if you have, maybe your locale had better resources.

I read the article but I'm not exactly sure what the lady is advocating. I keep my guns locked in the safe because I, at one time, feared of what my son might be capable. He got the help he needed, but it took some effort.

mayor

Post by mayor »

Jusme wrote:I'm curious as to why they could not stop him from buying guns. Didn't they supply him with the money? If he was that unstable how was he able to hold a job? Why was he still living in their house if he was so dangerous? This sounds a lot like "after we failed our son, we want to be able to stop someone else from getting guns" even though, besides the fact that he owned guns, there was no indication of irresponsible use of them.
I know that mental illness is a major problem and that it is devastating to families who have to deal with it, but there are no suggestions in the article on how to better deal with mental illness, better treatment options, or support groups or anything else. This is just a way to try to push an agenda with laws, that would be very hard to enforce, and very easy to use to deny someone their 2A rights.

Sorry lady, your left wing is showing.
same to you.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

mayor wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I believe they could have gotten him the help he needed via the courts if they really recognized how mentally ill be was and were committed to doing the right thing. Sounds to me like she is blaming others for her and her husband's poor decisions and inaction. It's everyone's and everything's fault so she can to avoid taking responsibility for how she raised her son.
this is a wheel barrow full of horse muffins. getting help while the son is a minor is difficult and once the son reaches adulthood, getting help is impossible without his consent and if you haven't had to deal with something like mental illness, you are clueless. and if you have, maybe your locale had better resources.

I read the article but I'm not exactly sure what the lady is advocating. I keep my guns locked in the safe because I, at one time, feared of what my son might be capable. He got the help he needed, but it took some effort.
You said it yourself, "it took some effort". It can be done. Therefore, I stand by my comment as it can be done even when one is an adult that is a danger to themselves or others.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

:iagree:
mojo84 wrote:
mayor wrote:

You said it yourself, "it took some effort". It can be done. Therefore, I stand by my comment as it can be done even when one is an adult that is a danger to themselves or others.
:iagree:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

mayor

Post by mayor »

mojo84 wrote:You said it yourself, "it took some effort". It can be done. Therefore, I stand by my comment as it can be done even when one is an adult that is a danger to themselves or others.

wasn't anything I did - either before or after. without providing details, 'cause it ain't nobody's business but ours, we worked to get help when we first recognized help was needed. it is difficult to get others to see the same things we did. after high school, he left home, but returned. things could have turned out a lot different than they did. HE sought help.

My point is blaming the parents is ignorant.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

mayor wrote:
mojo84 wrote:You said it yourself, "it took some effort". It can be done. Therefore, I stand by my comment as it can be done even when one is an adult that is a danger to themselves or others.

wasn't anything I did - either before or after. without providing details, 'cause it ain't nobody's business but ours, we worked to get help when we first recognized help was needed. it is difficult to get others to see the same things we did. after high school, he left home, but returned. things could have turned out a lot different than they did. HE sought help.

So is blaming guns that weren't even a part of the story. I can and do sympathize with those who have to deal with the pain and suffering from mental illness, the inability to get the needed treatment, and everything else that goes along with it, and had the story in question, been related to those issues, I would not have had a reason to do anything but offer condolences and prayers. (prayers were offered for the pain and suffering I am sure this woman endured) but instead the story simply focused on guns, which, besides the fact that her son had access to them, played no role in the story as a whole.
I agree that there is a huge gap in the treatment of mental illnesses and the treatment for other things when compared to the number of people suffering from them. However, passing a law, that despite all of the seemingly logical reasons for it, won't help sufferers of mental illness get the treatment they need, nor increase funding for programs, but will, instead, provide a vehicle to deny someone of their second amendment rights, even temporarily,without due process. I fully believe that people who are unstable, mentally should not be able to carry guns, but this type of proposed legislation is rife with the possibility for abuse. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

mayor wrote:

A couple of points. I have no clue what went on in your situation and do not want to know. I did not make my comment in regard to your situation. My comments were directly related to the topic of this thread. No system is perfect. The current system needs significant improvement.

The people saw what was going on and even once the mentally ill son threatened the father with a wrench and he suspected the kid was going to kill him, they still did nothing. Once he did kill his dad, the lady has blamed everything and everybody instead of taken responsibility for raising her child.

Dealing with a mentally ill family member is extremely difficult for all involved. However, the fact it is difficult isn't a valid excuse for inaction. This lady and her husband did not act appropriately in response to her son's illness. I am not blaming her. I am saying she didn't do all that could have been done and now she is blaming the system, the cops, the stores, guns and pro-gun people instead.

My family has also dealt with mental illness that resulted in tragic ends. The responsibility falls on my family and the mentally ill members themselves and no one else and surely not the inanimate object that was used. Blaming others and inanimate things does no one any good. It is only a temporary salve that use to comfort themselves but it does not cure the emotional wounds from loss or guilt.

mayor

Post by mayor »

I understand the lady's motive, I don't understand her agenda. I don't agree with her and think her efforts could be used for a better purpose.

Letting children run loose, letting them do what ever they want, indulging their every whim, lack of discipline, not teaching respect for people or property are all neglect. Parents are responsible for behaviors exhibited by a neglected child. I disagree that family members are responsible for the actions of any other adult family member.

Maybe she feels guilty and this is her way to cope. Her guilt doesn't mean that she was a bad parent. And she isn't responsible for her husband's murder.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

She testified against campus-carry i a Senate hearing and told this story in a way that made it sound like her son murdered his father with a gun. It was intentionally deceptive testimony. She was the second liar to testify in the same hearing.

Anti-gun organizations and people don't hold honesty in high regard.

Chas.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”