Alaska Senate votes to allow concealed guns on campuses

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 2

Alaska Senate votes to allow concealed guns on campuses

Post by dhoobler »

Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Re: Alaska Senate votes to allow concealed guns on campuses

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

:hurry:

Just went to an info session about campus carry yesterday. Had to grit my teeth several times because of ignorant comments.

"Why does the Texas Legislature feel the need to allow guns on our campus?"

To which I wanted to reply "For the same reason you want to express your opinions unimpeded. Or not be searched without reasonable cause. Or not have to self incriminate. Or worship whatever you believe."

For some reason people think the 2nd amendment just doesn't apply because of magical imaginary lines - but a criminal doesn't give a rats behind about it. The police said they catch people carrying illegally on a somewhat regular basis as it is. Someone asked if those who carry illegally would be disciplined and preosectuted. To which again I wanted to stand up and say "It's a felony to carry a handgun without a license and these people don't care! The license holders -ARE NOT- the ones you need to be worried about!"

But the officer leading discussion actually said that as well.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
To which I wanted to reply "For the same reason you want to express your opinions unimpeded. ... Or worship whatever you believe."

Unfortunately there are a number of your fellow students who would don't want those things (at least for you) either. I am disappointed, but not surprised, that the Legislature has not addressed these issues. The opposition to the 2A on campus is part of a broader opposition to individual rights as well. I forget which campus you attend: TAMU seems less prone to this nonsense, but UT...sigh...
TexasJohnBoy wrote::But the officer leading discussion actually said that as well.
Good for him! or her!
USAF 1982-2005

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote::hurry:

Just went to an info session about campus carry yesterday. Had to grit my teeth several times because of ignorant comments.

To which I wanted to reply "For the same reason you want to express your opinions unimpeded. Or not be searched without reasonable cause. Or not have to self incriminate. Or worship whatever you believe."

For some reason people think the 2nd amendment just doesn't apply because of magical imaginary lines - but a criminal doesn't give a rats behind about it. The police said they catch people carrying illegally on a somewhat regular basis as it is. Someone asked if those who carry illegally would be disciplined and preosectuted. To which again I wanted to stand up and say "It's a felony to carry a handgun without a license and these people don't care! The license holders -ARE NOT- the ones you need to be worried about!"

No actually its not a felony to UCW it's a class A misdemeanor, it may be a felony in certain places such as a liquor store or school but generally its a class A misdemeanor. look it up

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This whole argument has gotten backwards somehow. There should never be a "need" test applied to the exercise of individual rights and freedoms. Rather, the government should have to show a real, legitimate need before it even starts talking about infringing on those rights and liberties.

Topic author
dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
This whole argument has gotten backwards somehow. There should never be a "need" test applied to the exercise of individual rights and freedoms. Rather, the government should have to show a real, legitimate need before it even starts talking about infringing on those rights and liberties.
You are right, but the first challenge is getting the powers that be to even acknowledge that our rights and liberties exist. There are a lot of libs out there with such incredible "critical thinking" skills that they claim to support the Second Amendment while at the same time they can ban the private possession if firearms.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

JP171 wrote:

No actually its not a felony to UCW it's a class A misdemeanor, it may be a felony in certain places such as a liquor store or school but generally its a class A misdemeanor. look it up
Was going off of what the officer leading the discussion stated. Thanks for correction.

At any rate, licensed carry being allowed on campus won't encourage unlicensed carry - it's already there.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”