Another Meme Thread

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 152

Re: Another Meme Thread

Post by Grayling813 »

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

https://civildefensemanual.com/firearm ... 4a2d755158
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, will soon have no liberty at all.”- Benjamin Franklin

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Rafe
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Rafe »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:06 am Image
This. It's hard to think of anything else where the implement--if it's in normal working order--is blamed for injury rather than the party responsible. Let's see someone argue their way out of a vehicular manslaughter charge by saying the car acted own its own.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 36

Post by der Teufel »

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 18

Post by BigGuy »

Rafe wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:41 pm
This. It's hard to think of anything else where the implement--if it's in normal working order--is blamed for injury rather than the party responsible. Let's see someone argue their way out of a vehicular manslaughter charge by saying the car acted own its own.
I’m amazed at how illogical people can be. I left a newspaper as head of the IT department in 2019. (Dept. closed and let go)
But back in the 1990s, we were running a DEC PDP-1145 main frame. The terminals were green screen, text only.

The assistant city editor was a proud Luddite. She called me one day because a file one of the reporters was working on “disappeared.”

I started a forensic investigation, asking about everything the reporter did before the file went away. The City Editor was hostile to my investigation, suggesting that I was blaming the reporter for the loss of the file. I tried to explain that I was gathering information to find out what happened. Hopefully I could recover the file. If not, at least we’d all learn what NOT to do next time.

At some point in the exchange I said in exasperation, “You know the computer can’t just get a wild hair and delete a file on its own.”
I swear to the holy spirit, she looked at me with straight face and said, “Well I’m actually of the opinion that it can.” …

It took me a few seconds before I could respond. “If your car is gone from the parking lot when you go home tonight, are you going to assume it jut cranked itself up and left on its own, or are you more likely to assume somebody stole it?” I asked. Of course she thought that was idiotic. "But her car wasn't a computer," she insisted.

“The computer is a machine, JUST LIKE YOUR CAR.” I told her. “It doesn’t make decisions, it follows instructions.”
I eventually found were the reported had used an invalid file name. (There were 10,000 notices posted at every work station about file names. It seems that most of the reporters couldn’t be bothered to do the research of looking at the paper taped to their terminal.) This lady had saved the file with a slash (/) as part of the story name. In those days, that designated a subdirectory. The machine dutifully created the subdirectory and dropped the file into it. They couldn’t find it because they were looking in the directory it should have been sent to, not the newly created one. Their attitude was, "Well it knew what I wanted. It didn't have to take it literally." ... :shock:

These DAs were really anthropomorphizing the furniture. :shock: How the heck do you bring knuckle draggers like this into the present, much less the future?

The DEC system was an upgrade for some old IBM main frame that literally used punch cards. The old IBM machine crashed and spent more time down than up. When we went to the “Tiger” system, (A name complete made up by the sales department. It had nothing to do with any actually system on the market.) the staff was promised that it would never crash. That was serious oversell by the IT guys, (computer guys in those days) and the sales guys who had moved into upper management. What they truly meant was that it would crash less often.

The City Editor mentioned above was a reporter in those days. She called me one day in tears with snot running from her nose, threatening to quit if I couldn't recover her story. This was late in the day. I suggested that she just revert to her last saved version. I mean how much was she going to lose? a paragraph since her last save?

Yeah, she'd taken the “Will not crash” sales pitch to heart. She’d been there almost 8 hours without ever doing a single save. Apparently Alt-S was just to inconvenient to her creative process, so she hadn’t done a single save all day.

Fortunately for her, it was her terminal that crashed, not the mainframe. When I rebooted her terminal and logged her in, there was her pulitzer prize (yes that’s sarcasm) story in all of it’s glory. I immediately saved it, then advised her to save repeatedly and often.

Yes, I can believe this progressive moron thinks guns are evil and are the problem. Personal responsibility seems to be a completely alien concept to her. But she was proud of her journalism degree and seemed to consider herself quite the intellectual professional. Sadly, by the turn of the century, she was the person "guiding" young reporters and selecting which stories we ran. MSM in a nutshell.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 44

Post by LDB415 »

Tesla self driving car.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 44

Post by LDB415 »

BigGuy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:50 pm
I’m amazed at how illogical people can be. I left a newspaper as head of the IT department in 2019. (Dept. closed and let go)
But back in the 1990s, we were running a DEC PDP-1145 main frame. The terminals were green screen, text only.

The assistant city editor was a proud Luddite. She called me one day because a file one of the reporters was working on “disappeared.”

I started a forensic investigation, asking about everything the reporter did before the file went away. The City Editor was hostile to my investigation, suggesting that I was blaming the reporter for the loss of the file. I tried to explain that I was gathering information to find out what happened. Hopefully I could recover the file. If not, at least we’d all learn what NOT to do next time.

At some point in the exchange I said in exasperation, “You know the computer can’t just get a wild hair and delete a file on its own.”
I swear to the holy spirit, she looked at me with straight face and said, “Well I’m actually of the opinion that it can.” …

It took me a few seconds before I could respond. “If your car is gone from the parking lot when you go home tonight, are you going to assume it jut cranked itself up and left on its own, or are you more likely to assume somebody stole it?” I asked. Of course she thought that was idiotic. "But her car wasn't a computer," she insisted.

“The computer is a machine, JUST LIKE YOUR CAR.” I told her. “It doesn’t make decisions, it follows instructions.”
I eventually found were the reported had used an invalid file name. (There were 10,000 notices posted at every work station about file names. It seems that most of the reporters couldn’t be bothered to do the research of looking at the paper taped to their terminal.) This lady had saved the file with a slash (/) as part of the story name. In those days, that designated a subdirectory. The machine dutifully created the subdirectory and dropped the file into it. They couldn’t find it because they were looking in the directory it should have been sent to, not the newly created one. Their attitude was, "Well it knew what I wanted. It didn't have to take it literally." ... :shock:

These DAs were really anthropomorphizing the furniture. :shock: How the heck do you bring knuckle draggers like this into the present, much less the future?

The DEC system was an upgrade for some old IBM main frame that literally used punch cards. The old IBM machine crashed and spent more time down than up. When we went to the “Tiger” system, (A name complete made up by the sales department. It had nothing to do with any actually system on the market.) the staff was promised that it would never crash. That was serious oversell by the IT guys, (computer guys in those days) and the sales guys who had moved into upper management. What they truly meant was that it would crash less often.

The City Editor mentioned above was a reporter in those days. She called me one day in tears with snot running from her nose, threatening to quit if I couldn't recover her story. This was late in the day. I suggested that she just revert to her last saved version. I mean how much was she going to lose? a paragraph since her last save?

Yeah, she'd taken the “Will not crash” sales pitch to heart. She’d been there almost 8 hours without ever doing a single save. Apparently Alt-S was just to inconvenient to her creative process, so she hadn’t done a single save all day.

Fortunately for her, it was her terminal that crashed, not the mainframe. When I rebooted her terminal and logged her in, there was her pulitzer prize (yes that’s sarcasm) story in all of it’s glory. I immediately saved it, then advised her to save repeatedly and often.

Yes, I can believe this progressive moron thinks guns are evil and are the problem. Personal responsibility seems to be a completely alien concept to her. But she was proud of her journalism degree and seemed to consider herself quite the intellectual professional. Sadly, by the turn of the century, she was the person "guiding" young reporters and selecting which stories we ran. MSM in a nutshell.
Very interesting story. Very likely an all too common story. Very sad story. Thanks for sharing it.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

LDB415 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:25 am
Tesla self driving car.
Wouldn't be manslaughter, would it, if the fault was solely a mechanical error? Similarly, the lawsuits brought against firearms manufacturers after mass shooting incidents like Uvalde continue to baffle me. If the gun worked precisely as designed, engineered, and assembled, how can the manufacturer be liable for wrongdoing on the part of the idiot human holding the gun?

puma guy
Posts in topic: 197

Post by puma guy »

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Not a meme, but I haven't figured out where else to post it. Frightening But 100% True Facts About Guns, from the Bee:

philip964
Posts in topic: 24

Post by philip964 »

BigGuy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:50 pm

I was going to reply about someone I know who believes that computers make mistakes, but instead I will post this sort of meme I ran across the other day and one about Gislaine.
Attachments
5AB72ED5-71FC-4BBF-88C7-869708B91AEC.jpeg
9870692D-3E95-485A-A76B-A33905FEA97A.jpeg

oljames3
Posts in topic: 12

Post by oljames3 »

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 84

Post by Chemist45 »

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 55

Post by Vol Texan »

In honor of our VP:

Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”