Letters to the editor

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
doncb
Posts in topic: 1

Letters to the editor

Post by doncb »

There have been times when I have wanted to write a "Letter to the Editor" of the local paper. I haven't because of your name, address, etc. having to be included which every nut job in town can then get (only your name is on the article). Then follows potential harassment and such. You know if you write a pro gun letter, MDA and others will come crawling out of the woodwork. So, how would you handle this conundrum?
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Letters to the editor

Post by WildBill »

doncb wrote:There have been times when I have wanted to write a "Letter to the Editor" of the local paper. I haven't because of your name, address, etc. having to be included which every nut job in town can then get (only your name is on the article). Then follows potential harassment and such. You know if you write a pro gun letter, MDA and others will come crawling out of the woodwork. So, how would you handle this conundrum?
Your name will be printed, but not any other personal information. You can request that your name not be printed, but it is up to the paper whether or not to publish your letter.
As they say, it's a double edged sword. Anonymous people can say a lot of untrue and inflammatory stuff if they know that nobody knows said it. :tiphat:

Some people try to do the same thing on this forum. :shock:
Last edited by WildBill on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

If it were easy, eveybody would do it, I guess.

What do prominent people who write or opinionate on the radio or TV do? Ignore it, I imagine. Bill O'Reilly claims he never talks on the phone alone, every call is monitored or taped. I imagine the very prominent ones have some sort of security arrangements. You hear folks on Fox sometimes remark that they will be getting the crank e-mails, tweets etc. now over something they have said.

Many these days never answer the telephone, unless they recognize the caller/number. Some have assistants who handle those sorts of things, open their mail, etc.

"Do right, and risk the consequences." -- Sam Houston
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Maybe use an alias?
Rusty Shackleford?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I used to be hesitant about talking about guns, fearing adverse reactions. When campus carry discussions started, I felt it was important to voice my opinion on my campus, and now I'm comfortable talking openly about carry. And, I no longer GAF what people think. (One nice thing about being old :lol: )
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

There is always some risk involved. However, if we all cower because of the risk, we will end up being ran over and controlled. I believe it is imperative for our country's survival that good strong people take stand and stop cowering because of potential repercussions.

A lot of brave courageous people have taken stands before us and paid dearly for it. Why should we be any different?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Even if they print your name, the trouble it would take to find out who you are & how to contact you would be more trouble than most internet trolls are willing to put forth. I was interviewed on one of Houston's NPR radio stations last month regarding the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo's posting of 30.06/07. The only feedback I received was from one of my cousins who recognized my name and voice. Now if you venture into the comments sections, it can get pretty vile. But the solution to that is to just don't go there.

If you feel strongly enough about it, do it. There's much more benefit to speaking out logically and professionally vs staying silent.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Since I've moved into a directorship at my company, I keep very quiet about guns and other political matters. But if my six year retirement horizon materializes as planned, I am going to become unleashed with my opinions.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:Since I've moved into a directorship at my company, I keep very quiet about guns and other political matters. But if my six year retirement horizon materializes as planned, I am going to become unleashed with my opinions.
Until then, keep your head down. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

WildBill wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:Since I've moved into a directorship at my company, I keep very quiet about guns and other political matters. But if my six year retirement horizon materializes as planned, I am going to become unleashed with my opinions.
Until then, keep your head down. :mrgreen:
:tiphat:

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

doncb wrote:There have been times when I have wanted to write a "Letter to the Editor" of the local paper. I haven't because of your name, address, etc. having to be included which every nut job in town can then get (only your name is on the article). Then follows potential harassment and such. You know if you write a pro gun letter, MDA and others will come crawling out of the woodwork. So, how would you handle this conundrum?
These are not your grandfather's Bolsheviks. Lots of bluster and internet courage, but if it came down to violent confrontation they would fold like a cheap tent and hide like the cockroaches they are.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Over the years I have written numerous "Letters to the Editor" about a variety of subjects. Many were published and some not. Most frequent subject has been firearms and laws, but I have written about other subjects. Have never received any adverse feedback via responding letter, phone call, or personal on any of the firearms related letters. In fact, most feedback I get regarding letters about firearms garner very positive feedback. That said, about 12 years ago I did receive a very threatening phone call from an irate individual threatening me and my family about a letter I wrote (not a large area and no one else with my name in the phone book)--it had nothing to do with firearms, carry, or any of the normal issues we discuss on this forum. That call made me very glad that I had a CHL just in case the caller decided to act on his threat. My verbal response to the caller was that this is still the US and we all have freedom of speech. He may disagree with my views, but I had the right to express them and he had the right to disagree. However, threats to me and my family are not taken lightly. He then hung up. I continue to write letters when I feel compelled to do so. The more that we, the firearms community, express our views (in a logical, reasoned manner), the better we will educate others.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth. I like pen names on line and think Facebook is plain batty to oppose their use. Face to face, or in letters to the editor, I am me, friendly, and have the assurance of history there is nothing unreasonable or uncivilized in my opinions.

No worries, nothing to hide. I don't necessarily recommend it to everyone.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

locke_n_load wrote:Maybe use an alias?
Rusty Shackleford?
No, you'd want to be Dale Gribble. Turnabout is fair play.
My children actually watched this program to prepare for our move to Texas back in the late 99 - 00. A nucuelar science prof at UT(the real one in Knoxville)promoted the idear to my son, said they'd have a easier time if they had the idiom and societal nuances down. :biggrinjester:
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Dadtodabone wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:Maybe use an alias?
Rusty Shackleford?
No, you'd want to be Dale Gribble. Turnabout is fair play.
My children actually watched this program to prepare for our move to Texas back in the late 99 - 00. A nucuelar science prof at UT(the real one in Knoxville)promoted the idear to my son, said they'd have a easier time if they had the idiom and societal nuances down. :biggrinjester:
At one time I didn't just use pen names, I made up whole characters for the forums I frequented.

It got so bad that I began forgetting who I was on which forum. "rlol"
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”