Katie Couric's doc violated interstate firearms transfer laws?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Katie Couric's doc violated interstate firearms transfer laws?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/06/under-t ... al-crimes/

I'm willing to bet money that charges aren't brought up either.
I think it's funny how they demonstrated that more laws don't magically stop criminals from breaking laws.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Katie Couric's doc violated interstate firearms transfer laws?

Post by Skiprr »

Here's the audio of the full response of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, that was edited and truncated in Couric's "apology" about the unethical way VCDL members were presented in the film:

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

How is it they can blatantly violate federal firearms law and nothing happen?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

crazy2medic wrote:How is it they can blatantly violate federal firearms law and nothing happen?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treadlightly »

I am completely convinced there are human nature aspects of justice that single out those least likely to cause trouble for greatest scrutiny. I am proud to have run that gamut and still have a zero-blemish criminal record.

For instance, because I pay taxes my tax compliance is more heavily scrutinized than outright tax cheats. If I don't get health insurance I'll unwillingly pay the fines because I'll be forced to. Meanwhile, the IRS is not likely to set up audit offices under bridges.

Beating the same dead horse, the IRS's anti-conservative behavior is nothing new and I fear the same thing is at work in other branches of the federal government.

Katie Couric and her perky smile would be under the same gun law scrutiny as Randy Weaver was at Ruby Ridge if the game were fair.

None of the FFL's I know would bend a law for anyone, but if they did they would suffer a harsher fate than Ms. Couric, not that I wish her any grief. Make her wear a gun awareness orange jumpsuit for 90 days and report to a probation officer for the next ten years, something like that would be sufficient.

She's interested in seeing more behavior legislated into criminality, let her enjoy a little of that. It might make her a better informed journalist.

KHickam

Post by KHickam »

Wouldn't know about the pistols but the long guns would be legal to transfer right?
"Be strong, be of good courage, God Bless America, Long live the Republic." SootchOO

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

KHickam wrote:Wouldn't know about the pistols but the long guns would be legal to transfer right?
Only through an out of state FFL to the buyer face to face, and this involved a private transfer.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

KHickam

Post by KHickam »

Okay so let me get this straight - IE I own one of my uncles old rifles (1898 Krag- Jorganson infantry musket) - his grandson (my cousin that is not prohibited from owning a gun) receives it as a gift - I live in TX he lives in WY from me - because me and my cousin are pretty close and I never use or even shoot the gun much (has sentimental value to me but probably alot more to my cousin) I have to go through an FFL to give this gun to him?

Just curious
"Be strong, be of good courage, God Bless America, Long live the Republic." SootchOO

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

KHickam wrote:Okay so let me get this straight - IE I own one of my uncles old rifles (1898 Krag- Jorganson infantry musket) - his grandson (my cousin that is not prohibited from owning a gun) receives it as a gift - I live in TX he lives in WY from me - because me and my cousin are pretty close and I never use or even shoot the gun much (has sentimental value to me but probably alot more to my cousin) I have to go through an FFL to give this gun to him?

Just curious
My understanding -- NOT a legal opinion -- is that if you inherit the gun as part of an estate, you do not need an FFL to transfer them to an out of state heir. But, if you give or sell a gun to your cousin, or anyone else, who is an out of state resident, you DO need to go through an FFL... Unless you are deceased and bequeathed the gun to that person in your will.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/doc ... f/download
See question/answer #4 on page 4
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an
individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person
to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must
be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or
she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a
NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at http://www.atf.gov
and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception
from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. For
example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception
is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition
by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident
who inherits a firearm under a will or by State law upon death of the owner. See 18 U.S.C. §
922(a)(5)(A).
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

goose

Post by goose »

RoyGBiv wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:How is it they can blatantly violate federal firearms law and nothing happen?
<snipped Eholder pic>
That made me laugh out loud!
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

RoyGBiv wrote:

Excellent!!!! :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Katie Couric did NOT produce a documentary - It was an anti-gun harangue.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Katie Curic: "So, let me ask you your opinion on this hypothetical question.... What if (insert hypothetical #1),.... wouldn't that be a good thing??"

Interviewee #1: "Um, no, because of (insert well articulated response).

Katie Curic: "So, let me ask you your opinion on THIS hypothetical question (..since I failed at 'Stump the Chump' on my first attempt..).... What if (slightly reworded hypothetical #1),.... wouldn't that be a good thing??"

Interviewee #2: "Actually, (insert well articulated response here; unfortunately what Katie hears is "Blah, blah, blah, not the sound bite I was looking for, blah, blah, blah")

Repeat above until preplanned questions / talking points exhausted; Edit to fit narrative.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

RoyGBiv wrote:
I tried looking for a "golf clap" smiley but didn't see one.

Well Played RoyGBiv, well played.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”