Rancher on horseback lassoes would-be bike bandit in Walmart parking lot

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Rancher on horseback lassoes would-be bike bandit in Walmart parking lot

Post by Vol Texan »

And now for your feel-good story of the day:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... le-rancher

The idea that "a CHL doesn't make you a LEO, so keep to your own business" is good advice, but I do love a story about a good Samaritan who (armed or not) chose to do the right thing at the right time.
An attempted bicycle theft in a Walmart parking lot was foiled by a cattle rancher on horseback, who chased the thief down and lassoed him until the local police in southern Oregon could arrive.

The bicycle was stolen from a bike rack outside a Walmart in Eagle Point, a town about 170 miles south of Eugene, Oregon, at around 10amon Friday morning. The woman who owned the bike and several others gave chase on foot but were unable to catch him.

Then a rancher named Robert Borba brought his horse out of its trailer, mounted up and chased the thief down, according to Chris Adams, an officer with the Eagle Point police who responded to the 911 call about the theft.

“When we arrived, there was a large crowd standing around a younger gentleman who was on the ground, the rope around his ankle, hanging on to a tree,” Adams said. Victorino Arellano-Sanchez was arrested and charged with theft, the police said.

“I seen this fella trying to get up to speed on a bicycle,” Borba told the Medford Mail-Tribune. “I wasn’t going to catch him on foot. I just don’t run very fast.” He added: “I use a rope every day, that’s how I make my living. If it catches cattle pretty good, it catches a bandit pretty good.”

Not a lot is known about Borba because he is new in town, Adams said, but “it appears he will be a good fit. Eagle Point is a small city, and people watch out for each other. That’s exactly what he did.”

David Stepp said that he had been sitting in his car nearby when he saw the cowboy trotting across the parking lot on his horse after the thief, who was trying to escape on the stolen bicycle.

(snip)

“The guy was just hanging back like ‘you ain’t gonna steal no bike in front of me’,” Stepp said about Borba. The owner of the bike was “just happy to have her bike back”, he added.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rancher on horseback lassoes would-be bike bandit in Walmart parking lot

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Oh wow, that is awesome!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Mick22

Post by Mick22 »

Kudos to the Rancher!!!

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlh »

Gotta love this story! Too bad it did not happen in Texas :)

The picture is worth a thousand words.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Great story! Thanks for posting.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The only way it could have been better is if he had used his pigging string to tie both legs and an arm and waved his hands for his time. :cheers2:

I'll bet he will be a hit in the jail cell when the others find out how he was caught. They should print out the photo and pass it around the cell block. "rlol" "rlol"
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

:clapping: :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

What a strange story. Does the rancher take his horse around fully saddled with rope at the ready or is the police response and the criminals escape exceedlingly slow? It is a great feel-good story, but one that puzzles me when I consider the time management of the characters in this adventure. Well at least it ended well with the hero on his horse riding into the sunset while the villain, vanquished and in custody of the lawman, angrily looks on.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

sugar land dave wrote:What a strange story. Does the rancher take his horse around fully saddled with rope at the ready or is the police response and the criminals escape exceedlingly slow? It is a great feel-good story, but one that puzzles me when I consider the time management of the characters in this adventure. Well at least it ended well with the hero on his horse riding into the sunset while the villain, vanquished and in custody of the lawman, angrily looks on.

Around here it's not unusual for horses to be transported in trailers saddled and bridled. I have seen them parked in parking lots while the riders are eating or shopping.

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TXBO »

sugar land dave wrote:What a strange story. Does the rancher take his horse around fully saddled with rope at the ready or is the police response and the criminals escape exceedlingly slow? ....
If the haul is pretty short, it's common to saddle a horse at home if you are going to a roping or to work cattle.

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

sugar land dave wrote:What a strange story. Does the rancher take his horse around fully saddled with rope at the ready or is the police response and the criminals escape exceedlingly slow? It is a great feel-good story, but one that puzzles me when I consider the time management of the characters in this adventure. Well at least it ended well with the hero on his horse riding into the sunset while the villain, vanquished and in custody of the lawman, angrily looks on.

I actually just moved down here a couple of years ago after my last duty station in Washington. Up there, especially in Oregon and Eastern Washington, it's pretty common for those with horses to ride them around in public areas, so most of the time, when you see a horse in a trailer, it's usually rigged up for a ride.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

You can almost hear the liberals/progressives in the northwest talking about how awful and demeaning the picture is to the "poor child" roped and tied to a tree.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Note to thieves: Before attempting to steal a bicycle, look around for mounted cowboys!! :smilelol5:

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

See it all the time around here. Horse(s) saddled, bridled and halter slipped over the bridle. It wouldn't take 30 seconds to get your horse out of the trailer, pull the cinch up tight on your saddle (if not already done) and off you go. Most guys around here also have a dog or two.

Just wish the rancher had a branding iron with him. Place a big "T" (for thief) on the guys right hip.

Or at least drag him around for a little ways on the pavement after having 'heeled' him.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Surprised I haven't seen all the mind your own business having a horse and a rope doesn't make one a cop or batman comments.

Again, I am thankful for those that are willing to help others in time of need in spite of risk to themselves. Our country needs more people like this man.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”