NRA stance on bars and guns?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

NRA stance on bars and guns?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

CNN so ymmv, but this stance confuses the heck out of me. So designated drivers who are not drinking are all of the sudden less competent in carrying because there's alcohol around them?? Obviously, alcohol is off limits when carrying, that's a duh. But to be barred from carrying just because others partake seems illogical to me.

Please tell me this is being taken out of context.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/19/politics/ ... index.html
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA stance on bars and guns?

Post by Pawpaw »

Either Chris Cox or Wayne LaPierre forgot about designated drivers or (more likely, to my mind) CNN left that part out.

As Mr. Lapierre said, "If you're going to carry, don't drink." I sincerely doubt either one of them would have a problem with a DD carrying.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

It is being taken out of context.

What Trump said during a rally event:

"If we had people, where the bullets were going in the opposite direction, right smack between the eyes of this maniac," Trump said, gesturing between his eyes. "And this son of a b---- comes out and starts shooting and one of the people in that room happened to have (a gun) and goes boom. You know what, that would have been a beautiful, beautiful sight, folks."

What Wayne LaPierre said:

" I want to clarify my comment: if you're going to carry, don't drink. OK to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol."

Seems like left is just trying to twist this out of context, making it seem like something that it is not.

What Trump said was a stump speech, more informal in my opinion.
What LaPierre said was more formal.

I would say that behind closed doors, there is more agreement between the two then meets the eye/ear. Leftists know this and what they are attempting to do is create a divide.

I see no issue between NRA / Trump.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Yep, I found the comment via other outlets. I'm not shocked that they left it out.

"Wayne LaPierre: I want to clarify my comment: if you're going to carry, don't drink. OK to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol."

In Texas, I'd like to see 51% repealed, and maintain the restriction against any intoxication while carrying.
Matter of fact, remove all restricted areas - but I'm preaching to the choir.
Last edited by TexasJohnBoy on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

State law varies all over the place. Texas has the 51% signs, no carry no matter how drunk you aren't. California has no signs. You can sit in a bar concealed, assuming you can get a permit, all you want, but don't get caught with any alcohol in your system.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:CNN so ymmv, but this stance confuses the heck out of me. So designated drivers who are not drinking are all of the sudden less competent in carrying because there's alcohol around them?? Obviously, alcohol is off limits when carrying, that's a duh. But to be barred from carrying just because others partake seems illogical to me.

Please tell me this is being taken out of context.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/19/politics/ ... index.html

Top National Rifle Association officials split Sunday with Donald Trump's position that armed club-goers are a good idea.

"I don't think you should have firearms where people are drinking," said Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's chief executive officer said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "But I will tell you this. Everybody, every American starts to have -- needs to start having a security plan. We need to be able to protect ourselves, because they're coming. And they're going for vulnerable spots, and this country needs to realize it."

NRA lobbyist Chris Cox told ABC's "This Week": "No one thinks that people should go into a nightclub drinking and carrying firearms. That defies commonsense. It also defies the law. It's not what we're talking about here."

^^^^^^^^^^^ I believe Cox said what LaPierre was trying to say.

Provided the person(s) carrying are NOT drinking (not impaired) I don't see why they shouldn't be armed...from a legal standpoint.

I won't argue whether or not going into certain environments could put you at greater risk of needing to actually use your weapon though.

I've seen the behavior of certain Soccer Fans after losing a game and cringe at the thought that any of them would be armed.

Not sure what the 'answer' is here, but I am certain the problem involves HUMAN failure and is not the fault of an inanimate object (firearm).
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

Many states don't have a law against drinking and carrying or carrying in bars. Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Vermont come to mind. The haven't seemed to have any problem. Nevada has a law against carrying while intoxicated (like Texas), but they left the BAC limit at 0.10 for carrying. Like so many other things re: guns people draw conclusions based on movies and TV shows... :yawn
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

flintknapper wrote:
I've seen the behavior of certain Soccer Fans after losing a game and cringe at the thought that any of them would be armed.
Anybody who has ever been to a Raider-Charger game knows that's a bad idea.

When the Raiders moved back to Oakland, the LA fans fought with the Oakland fans and left the Charger fans in peace.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I'm amazed at the misquoting of the NRA. Seems like I've gotten NRA-ILA email lately calling for no guns for anyone on terror watch lists. The only thing they ask is for due process and a way to get off for those who aren't supposed to be on the list.

Isn't that what the NRA really wants, along with other things like arresting those who should not have guns who try to buy them?

If banning guns in bars because a designated sheepdog might start drinking like a fish, why do they allow bars to have parking lots? Sounds like that would just encourage people to keep and bear automobiles at a bar.

Heck, I've even seen bars where they paint lines in the parking lot, essentially encouraging children too young to park accurately to come on in and drink themselves senseless. THE CHILDREN!!! BAN PARKING LOTS!!!

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Hmmm, I'm OK with no guns in bars (those posted 51%). I avoid gun free zones, so I don't go to bars. I can't remember anything good as a result of me being in a "bar". Just common sense, good situational awareness in my mind dictates that I should not be in a bar. Possibility of bad things happening increase in a bar vs. not in a bar. Of course a dining establishment with a bar attached are exceptions, can't really avoid that. Not saying that you should not be in a bar, just that as part of my due diligence for my safety and being able to continue to provide for my family, I won't be in a bar.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

flowrie wrote:Hmmm, I'm OK with no guns in bars (those posted 51%). I avoid gun free zones, so I don't go to bars. I can't remember anything good as a result of me being in a "bar". Just common sense, good situational awareness in my mind dictates that I should not be in a bar. Possibility of bad things happening increase in a bar vs. not in a bar. Of course a dining establishment with a bar attached are exceptions, can't really avoid that. Not saying that you should not be in a bar, just that as part of my due diligence for my safety and being able to continue to provide for my family, I won't be in a bar.
I agree with avoiding gun free zones. Removing the 51% restriction could benefit many Texas veterans.

I'm a long-time friend of Bill's. As such, I avoid bars. However, many of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion posts I've seen are posted as 51% or have a 51% area.

My local AL post is correctly posted 51% at the front door.

I would like to be able to legally visit VFW/AL posts without having to search for 51% signs.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I would like to be able to legally visit VFW/AL posts without having to search for 51% signs.[/quote]

Yes, that's a good point!
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I don't drink. A sixpack will last me a decade, no exaggeration, maybe two, but I don't have anything against responsible drinking. I swig down a brewski any darn time I want, excepting where inappropriate. The mood to pop a top just rarely strikes.

Besides, as I tell my kids, sobriety ain't half bad when you consider the alternatives.

But hearing about 100 unarmed shooting victims, fatalities plus injuries, in a bar made me think there are worse things than peaceable, law abiding armed citizens in drinking places.

I agree, though, letting guns into bars is something easy to heckle. Driving away from bars is probably a lot worse than peacefully carrying a gun into a bar, but for some reason we're going to keep letting people do that. I guess the argument is the same as the one for guns in bars - people can be responsible.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Isn't the 51% restriction the reason we are legally prohibited from carrying at the Texas State Fair in Dallas? One vendor has a license at the address and therefore the entire address is off limits. I may be mistaken, but I believe that is what I read on a post here somewhere.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

remington79

Post by remington79 »

It's things like the NRA saying sober people in bars being unarmed is another example why I won't join them. They are too willing to compromise. The last state I lived in allowed you to carry in bars. In my time there there was never a problem with guns in bars. The only time there was a shooting it was down the street and the person took it out of his car. In that case bar carry wasn't an issue. That state is friendlier to carry than Texas is.
Last edited by remington79 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”