Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7411
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#1

Post by ELB » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:49 am

...against UT-Austin and UTSA over their campus carry rules allowing professors to designate their offices as no-carry zones.

I have a Tweet on my phone that announces this and links to the complaint a Scribd (the complaint is dated today), but I can't yet come up with it by googling around, and thus don't have link to it I can paste here. There doesn't appear to be one on the Campuscarry.org site yet either.

Will update when I find one.

Aha! Found it:
USAF 1982-2005
____________
“The only thing more enjoyable than seeing your opponent lose an election they rigged is seeing them lose an investigation they rigged.” Author unknown but dead on the mark.

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 12833
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#2

Post by C-dub » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:16 am

Good! They need to go after them on this and the various universities about the dorms. At least one of them is prohibiting handguns from the dorms forcing anyone that has one to keep it in their vehicle or somewhere else off campus. That is ridiculous. I don't understand how some of their restricted places can stand since they effectively bar many students that use those buildings every or nearly every day of the week. I hope they also go after the schools that force the students in dorms to identify themselves in order to get a single room with a safe installed by the school. Carriers should not have to identify themselves for that, effectively notifying everyone that they have a gun. Everyone will know who has those rooms.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#3

Post by KLB » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:25 am

C-dub wrote:Everyone will know who has those rooms.
That's a feature, not a bug. If everyone knows, someone will try to steal a gun. That will support calls to amend the legislation. Before you say something is a bad idea, you need to consider the goal.

User avatar

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#4

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:56 am

Good! I don't really have much more to say on the topic right nos, but I wanted to show my approval!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14


OneGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Houston

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#5

Post by OneGun » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:09 pm

What I fail to understand are these Professors' logic that a Gun Free Zone will stop a bullet from a person determined to harm the professors. Do they really believe that a deranged person will actually obey the law?

SMH :banghead:
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!


JerryK
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#6

Post by JerryK » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Being a college professor is a subjective profession. I know they have tests but I am sure at least part of the grade in a class is subjective on the part of the professor. If it were me attending a liberal college (of which probably 90% are) I would want to conceal, as well as I could that I carry. I do not think that is the place to push the issue when someone else has an influence on the outcome in grade form of my investment (or my parents) of my education.

I do not feel that is a fact to broadcast to the entire staff of a liberal college.

User avatar

sugar land dave
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Sugar Land, TX

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#7

Post by sugar land dave » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:42 pm

OneGun wrote:What I fail to understand are these Professors' logic that a Gun Free Zone will stop a bullet from a person determined to harm the professors. Do they really believe that a deranged person will actually obey the law?
If they in fact believed that, would it indicate that they themselves were perhaps deranged or would they merely be considered eccentric? ;-)
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 25524
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#8

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:40 am

KLB wrote:
C-dub wrote:Everyone will know who has those rooms.
That's a feature, not a bug. If everyone knows, someone will try to steal a gun. That will support calls to amend the legislation. Before you say something is a bad idea, you need to consider the goal.
That's an easy one to fix..... Install a small safe in ALL the rooms, and charge a small fee (by the quarter or semester or year or whatever) for the key/combination to the safe. Then if a student wants a safe - for whatever reason (gun, weed, jewelry, Gameboy, candy stash) - they can simply pay the small fee. Nobody will know why, because it could be for any number of reasons.

The collected fees will go toward reimbursing the costs of purchase and installation. When it is all paid off, they can be rolled over into the operating budget for the dormitory in question.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


gljjt
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#9

Post by gljjt » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:39 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
KLB wrote:
C-dub wrote:Everyone will know who has those rooms.
That's a feature, not a bug. If everyone knows, someone will try to steal a gun. That will support calls to amend the legislation. Before you say something is a bad idea, you need to consider the goal.
That's an easy one to fix..... Install a small safe in ALL the rooms, and charge a small fee (by the quarter or semester or year or whatever) for the key/combination to the safe. Then if a student wants a safe - for whatever reason (gun, weed, jewelry, Gameboy, candy stash) - they can simply pay the small fee. Nobody will know why, because it could be for any number of reasons.

The collected fees will go toward reimbursing the costs of purchase and installation. When it is all paid off, they can be rolled over into the operating budget for the dormitory in question.
Well there you go, making sense. What a great, easy, solution. This should be done regardless of campus carry.

User avatar

joe817
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9301
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#10

Post by joe817 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:52 am

This ^^^

The solution is so easy, it's hard to dispute. After all, MANY motel/hotel rooms have little safes in their rooms, why not dormitory rooms? :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380


jb2012
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#11

Post by jb2012 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:01 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
KLB wrote:
C-dub wrote:Everyone will know who has those rooms.
That's a feature, not a bug. If everyone knows, someone will try to steal a gun. That will support calls to amend the legislation. Before you say something is a bad idea, you need to consider the goal.
That's an easy one to fix..... Install a small safe in ALL the rooms, and charge a small fee (by the quarter or semester or year or whatever) for the key/combination to the safe. Then if a student wants a safe - for whatever reason (gun, weed, jewelry, Gameboy, candy stash) - they can simply pay the small fee. Nobody will know why, because it could be for any number of reasons.

The collected fees will go toward reimbursing the costs of purchase and installation. When it is all paid off, they can be rolled over into the operating budget for the dormitory in question.
Alright, that's it.... TAM for president! Lol great idea

User avatar

sbrawley
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 pm
Location: Lubbock

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

#12

Post by sbrawley » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:06 pm

gljjt wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
KLB wrote:
C-dub wrote:Everyone will know who has those rooms.
That's a feature, not a bug. If everyone knows, someone will try to steal a gun. That will support calls to amend the legislation. Before you say something is a bad idea, you need to consider the goal.
That's an easy one to fix..... Install a small safe in ALL the rooms, and charge a small fee (by the quarter or semester or year or whatever) for the key/combination to the safe. Then if a student wants a safe - for whatever reason (gun, weed, jewelry, Gameboy, candy stash) - they can simply pay the small fee. Nobody will know why, because it could be for any number of reasons.

The collected fees will go toward reimbursing the costs of purchase and installation. When it is all paid off, they can be rolled over into the operating budget for the dormitory in question.
Well there you go, making sense. What a great, easy, solution. This should be done regardless of campus carry.
That's just it. It makes sense, therefore won't happen.
You've never met America, and you ought to pray you never do -Charlie Daniels
NRA Life Member

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”