Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

Post by ELB »

...against UT-Austin and UTSA over their campus carry rules allowing professors to designate their offices as no-carry zones.

I have a Tweet on my phone that announces this and links to the complaint a Scribd (the complaint is dated today), but I can't yet come up with it by googling around, and thus don't have link to it I can paste here. There doesn't appear to be one on the Campuscarry.org site yet either.

Will update when I find one.

Aha! Found it:
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub

Re: Students for Concealed Carry file complaint with AG...

Post by C-dub »

Good! They need to go after them on this and the various universities about the dorms. At least one of them is prohibiting handguns from the dorms forcing anyone that has one to keep it in their vehicle or somewhere else off campus. That is ridiculous. I don't understand how some of their restricted places can stand since they effectively bar many students that use those buildings every or nearly every day of the week. I hope they also go after the schools that force the students in dorms to identify themselves in order to get a single room with a safe installed by the school. Carriers should not have to identify themselves for that, effectively notifying everyone that they have a gun. Everyone will know who has those rooms.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

KLB

Post by KLB »

C-dub wrote:Everyone will know who has those rooms.
That's a feature, not a bug. If everyone knows, someone will try to steal a gun. That will support calls to amend the legislation. Before you say something is a bad idea, you need to consider the goal.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Good! I don't really have much more to say on the topic right nos, but I wanted to show my approval!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

What I fail to understand are these Professors' logic that a Gun Free Zone will stop a bullet from a person determined to harm the professors. Do they really believe that a deranged person will actually obey the law?

SMH :banghead:
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

Being a college professor is a subjective profession. I know they have tests but I am sure at least part of the grade in a class is subjective on the part of the professor. If it were me attending a liberal college (of which probably 90% are) I would want to conceal, as well as I could that I carry. I do not think that is the place to push the issue when someone else has an influence on the outcome in grade form of my investment (or my parents) of my education.

I do not feel that is a fact to broadcast to the entire staff of a liberal college.

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

OneGun wrote:What I fail to understand are these Professors' logic that a Gun Free Zone will stop a bullet from a person determined to harm the professors. Do they really believe that a deranged person will actually obey the law?
If they in fact believed that, would it indicate that they themselves were perhaps deranged or would they merely be considered eccentric? ;-)
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

KLB wrote:
That's a feature, not a bug. If everyone knows, someone will try to steal a gun. That will support calls to amend the legislation. Before you say something is a bad idea, you need to consider the goal.
That's an easy one to fix..... Install a small safe in ALL the rooms, and charge a small fee (by the quarter or semester or year or whatever) for the key/combination to the safe. Then if a student wants a safe - for whatever reason (gun, weed, jewelry, Gameboy, candy stash) - they can simply pay the small fee. Nobody will know why, because it could be for any number of reasons.

The collected fees will go toward reimbursing the costs of purchase and installation. When it is all paid off, they can be rolled over into the operating budget for the dormitory in question.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
KLB wrote:
That's an easy one to fix..... Install a small safe in ALL the rooms, and charge a small fee (by the quarter or semester or year or whatever) for the key/combination to the safe. Then if a student wants a safe - for whatever reason (gun, weed, jewelry, Gameboy, candy stash) - they can simply pay the small fee. Nobody will know why, because it could be for any number of reasons.

The collected fees will go toward reimbursing the costs of purchase and installation. When it is all paid off, they can be rolled over into the operating budget for the dormitory in question.
Well there you go, making sense. What a great, easy, solution. This should be done regardless of campus carry.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

This ^^^

The solution is so easy, it's hard to dispute. After all, MANY motel/hotel rooms have little safes in their rooms, why not dormitory rooms? :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
KLB wrote:

Alright, that's it.... TAM for president! Lol great idea

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”