Art Acevedo to be named Houston Police Chief :(

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Art Acevedo to be named Houston Police Chief :(

Post by parabelum »

ScottDLS wrote:
The real threat to Texas is the California refugees who come like locusts and turn the state into what they fled. That and the Feds enfranchising millions of illegals so they can vote Democrat. :mad5
Well said.

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

Skiprr wrote:
EastTexasRancher wrote:meh, never mind.
Texas edged closer to becoming a blue state this year than any in recent past.

"Meh" is pretty much an attitude no Texan should take right about now. Or ever.

The biggest population centers in Texas, some of the largest in the country, are now fully blue. If you haven't looked at a county-by-county map, you should. Almost all of the southern border counties are blue (think that's from the southern ranch land-owner vote?) and our electoral results November 8 were far closer than I would have liked.

If you don't care about Houston politics, fine. Don't post here.

If you're saying you don't give a squib about Texas politics in general, I have an issue with that.
I used "meh, never mind" to edit a post I had made. I am as engaged as anyone, but know posting here can at times draw the responses of those who know they are far smarter than me.

Sorry to have upset you.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Excaliber »

I see this as good news - for the people of Austin.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

HKMike

Post by HKMike »

Living just outside the People's Republic of Austin in the safe confines of Williamson County I'm glad to see him go. However, I think he should take a drive out west to California where his politics would be more warmly received. Local news coverage of this guy's actions and comments leave me speechless at times. In my view, from a non law enforcement perspective, is that he does not support the officers in his department. I have seen him publicly condemn the actions of an officer even before a full investigation is complete. That is unacceptable in my opinion no matter what line of work you are in. Do some civilian encounters with officers go badly? Sure they do. But it's my observation that he characterizes those encounters as common rather than the exception. (Again, just my opinion based on outsider's point of view) A police officer's job is hard enough given the current climate, and they certainly don't need the lack of support from this liberal, political hack. I'm sorry Houston...

viking1000

Post by viking1000 »

Acevedo does not get my vote for Texan of the year award.......

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

HKMike wrote:Living just outside the People's Republic of Austin in the safe confines of Williamson County I'm glad to see him go. However, I think he should take a drive out west to California where his politics would be more warmly received. Local news coverage of this guy's actions and comments leave me speechless at times. In my view, from a non law enforcement perspective, is that he does not support the officers in his department. I have seen him publicly condemn the actions of an officer even before a full investigation is complete. That is unacceptable in my opinion no matter what line of work you are in. Do some civilian encounters with officers go badly? Sure they do. But it's my observation that he characterizes those encounters as common rather than the exception. (Again, just my opinion based on outsider's point of view) A police officer's job is hard enough given the current climate, and they certainly don't need the lack of support from this liberal, political hack. I'm sorry Houston...
My 24 year career has included time in the military as well as civilian life. I have seen a number of people who are quick to throw their subordinates under the bus when something goes wrong. They jump to conclusions without getting all the facts and deflect blame and controversy as quickly as they can. Sometimes these people manage to move up to pretty high levels.

And without exception, they are insecure and worthless leaders who have no real respect from anyone that works for them, and are just all around bad people at their core (although they usually have a much different façade). It sounds like Mr Acevedo may fit this mold based on what everyone here is saying.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Austin may now get a conservative police chief. Houston was offering 5k sign on bonus for LEOs and I'm sure they will have plenty of vacancies after the new chief takes over. You couldn't pay me enough to work for him.

Austin was paying him $216,000 a year, I wonder how much Houston will be paying.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Praise in public, criticize in private. Any manager worth his salt knows that.
Should be the same for law enforcement, at least until the investigation is completed.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

In large cities, isn't the Police Chief's office mostly titular with the various department heads actually running the show?

Big city Police Chiefs attend charity balls and other "look at me - look at me" political/social type events that in the grand scheme of things are simply socialite gatherings? He's supposed to look good in his glittering faux military attire (often with 4 stars as if he were a Lt. General) with his (maybe) dazzling wife on his elbow to both smile and wave like celebrities, because in their small gold fish bowl they kinda/sorta are, rather like local tv news and weather micro-celebrities ...?

Small/Medium size towns/cities Police Chief's are hands on men/women, but big cities, not so much...

Or, am I wrong?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Abraham wrote:In large cities, isn't the Police Chief's office mostly titular with the various department heads actually running the show?

Big city Police Chiefs attend charity balls and other "look at me - look at me" political/social type events that in the grand scheme of things are simply socialite gatherings? He's supposed to look good in his glittering faux military attire (often with 4 stars as if he were a Lt. General) with his (maybe) dazzling wife on his elbow to both smile and wave like celebrities, because in their small gold fish bowl they kinda/sorta are, rather like local tv news and weather micro-celebrities ...?

Small/Medium size towns/cities Police Chief's are hands on men/women, but big cities, not so much...

Or, am I wrong?
:biggrinjester: :evil2:
Yep, you're wrong. Lieutenant General (LTG O9) is 3 stars. 4 stars is General (GEN 010).
:evil2: :biggrinjester:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I stand corrected.

What about the rest of what I said.

Right?

Wrong?

Unknown?

The Annoyed Man

Re: Houston, We May Have a Problem: Art Acevedo

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Ruark wrote:
Yep just lovely. I have been worried about Houston for a while now. It keeps getting bluer and bluer. One of the many reason I moved out to the burbs in Richmond. I worry that if Houston keeps getting bluer we might lose Texas. If Texas goes blue then its game over as far as national races go. Not good..
It seems to be going that way, and the momentum is being carried almost entirely by the big cities: Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and Houston. Trump didn't win Texas by a very large margin: 52% to 43%. In Dallas, Hillary won 61% to 35%. San Antonio, 53% to 40%. Harris County (Houston) 54% to 42%. And so on.... check the map below:
texaselection.JPG
I pointed out in another thread right after the election that republicans only enjoy a 4% majority over democrats in Texas. That ought to scare the crap out of anybody.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mxrdad »

Along what TAM just said, what will happen if Texas goes Blue? Wouldnt that pretty much make the Blue side unstoppable? Then what? Will the Blue get too big like the banks? "Too Big To Fail". And even if Texas isnt the tipping point, it looks like it might happen sooner or later. Would the Red just die away slowly? Are we a dying breed? Thats very unsettling.
Just some guy's opinion.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Are most transplants?

I know one friend born in Texas, high school buddy, who happened to be a LEO of a variety of sorts from Houston detective to Game Warden, is so liberal he quit speaking to me.

I didn't know this would happen, until he didn't show up after agreeing to spend the night 3 years ago...We'd been we re-connected for a few a years earlier or a bit longer.

When we were kids in high school we were the best of best friends, then time passed, we lost touch.

After many years elapsed, we re-connected with my efforts. I foolishly assumed him a Conservative. As it turned out I was not wrong, but buh-bye friend good bye wrong.

He's retired and an artist, quite successful too. From oils to novels to movie scripts, but not making a lot of money with all his effort.

He and his wife assume all of us should pay for their health care.

He knew me when I was a very, very poor kid and had been all my life. We worked together too after high school classes. He knew my values...

That I slowly, ever so slowly, became successful and he didn't financially became apparent after we were re-acquainted.

This was especially saddening, as my background is from trash and he from middle class... he and his wife are so liberal as to not tolerate the friends who love them (me) but think their political views are sacrosanct and can't tolerate my views, forgetting their inclusiveness mantra...

Breaks my heart.

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mxrdad »

This election has done the same to countless folks. Very sad. In another post, I mentioned my wife was "Un-Friended" by a nephew of ours simply because she voted for Trump. Its sad to see that we have to take that old saying as truth; Never debate politics or religion. Too bad because I can debate either one of them without name-calling, put-downs and insults. I like diversity and choices. It would really stink if we ever get down to one choice. Its like Mac vs Android. Many haters on that topic but I couldnt imagine only having Apple and no other choice. And the same for Android. I'm glad we have choices and I have my preferences, but if someone else uses another platform, thats cool too.

Unfortunately, those divides in the political "war" arent ever going away. I just wish it didnt have to be so destructive.
Just some guy's opinion.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”