Art Acevedo to be named Houston Police Chief :(

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Syntyr
Posts in topic: 3

Art Acevedo to be named Houston Police Chief :(

Post by Syntyr »

Okay so I figured this waas going to happen even though he publicly said he was not looking at the job :mad5 Why couldn't you guys and gals in Austin keep this treasure?!?!?

Things were going fine in Houston... I open carry without problem... We dont need trouble makers coming in to Houston and stirring things up! :grumble

http://kxan.com/2016/11/17/art-acevedo- ... ice-chief/
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 6

Houston, We May Have a Problem: Art Acevedo

Post by Skiprr »

Acevedo has accepted Mayor Sylvester Turner's offer to become the chief of the Houston Police Department.

http://kxan.com/2016/11/17/art-acevedo- ... ice-chief/
http://www.kvue.com/news/local/apd-chie ... /352953846
http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/ne ... r-houston/

A quick search of Acevedo's name on this Forum will give you some idea of opinions of his actions and leadership in Austin. In essence, it seems to be additional padlocking of the City of Houston's political infrastructure on the ultra-blue side of the scale. Two very capable and honorable individuals--for whom I could and did vote as a resident of unincorporated Harris County--were District Attorney Devon Anderson (unseated by ultra-liberal Kim Ogg who hasn't prosecuted a case in 20 years) and Sheriff Ron Hickman (unseated by Democrat Ed Gonzalez and who has, since 2009, been not a law enforcement officer or leader but a career politician).

And now Acevedo.

Here's a brief article from the Austin American Statesman about disciplinary action against APD Chief Acevedo last April surrounding his public actions during the case of the officer-involved shooting of David Joseph, an unarmed, Black teenager. Acevedo held a news conference barely 48 hours after the incident, while the investigation was underway, invited several community groups to join him including Black Lives Matter, and implicitly prejudged his officer, Geoffrey Freeman, as guilty. That drove the Police Union into a fervor. A few weeks later, Acevedo spoke at APD's training academy and again discussed the shooting.

The union filed a formal complaint with Acevedo's boss, City Manager Marc Ott. Ott appointed an independent investigator who did not determine a violation of law or written city policy, but noted that he did "believe that the department and city of Austin would have been better served if he had refrained from discussing the Freeman case at that time."

Evidently Acevedo has had a contentious relationship with Ott--and the Police Union--for several years. Then followed the post-election, anti-Trump protests in Austin last week where Acevedo actually joined the protesters as they marched up Congress.

Clearly, Marc Ott, the union, and others had had it with Acevedo. And while they strove a few years ago to block his moving to San Antonio, when the Houston opening was offered to him I can only imagine that someone bought champagne and had a pen ready to sign the contract release papers.

Congratulations, Blue Houston.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

chuck j
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Art Acevedo to be named Houston Police Chief :(

Post by chuck j »

Guess Austin is too disgusting even for him ....that's pretty bad .

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

With the recent elections in Harris County, he'll fit right in! :woohoo

I shudder to think who the Austin city manager, mayor and city council will hire as his replacement...

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Skiprr »

This is what happens when you write five times as much text, and somebody beats you to the post by three minutes. :???:

I'll merge mine in here.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Skiprr wrote:This is what happens when you write five times as much text, and somebody beats you to the post by three minutes. :???:

I'll merge mine in here.
Sorry Skiprr! I dont know too many words ;)
Syntyr

Topic author
Syntyr

Re: Houston, We May Have a Problem: Art Acevedo

Post by Syntyr »

Skiprr wrote:
Evidently Acevedo has had a contentious relationship with Ott--and the Police Union--for several years. Then followed the post-election, anti-Trump protests in Austin last week where Acevedo actually joined the protesters as they marched up Congress.

Clearly, Marc Ott, the union, and others had had it with Acevedo. And while they strove a few years ago to block his moving to San Antonio, when the Houston opening was offered to him I can only imagine that someone bought champagne and had a pen ready to sign the contract release papers.

Congratulations, Blue Houston.
Yep just lovely. I have been worried about Houston for a while now. It keeps getting bluer and bluer. One of the many reason I moved out to the burbs in Richmond. I worry that if Houston keeps getting bluer we might lose Texas. If Texas goes blue then its game over as far as national races go. Not good..
Syntyr

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

My condolensces to those that reside in Houston. Just another big step in the wrong direction. So glad I escaped Houston in 1996.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

We too are Houston evacuees...but remember, the police rank and file if you will, aren't like this political, ah, hmmm, (left blank to stay within forum rules...)

apostate

Post by apostate »

Between this and the Harris County Sheriff election results, I'm putting my house on the market after the holidays. The incessant increase in property taxes had me thinking about getting out, and the rejection of the rule of law is the nail in the coffin.

Ruark

Re: Houston, We May Have a Problem: Art Acevedo

Post by Ruark »

Yep just lovely. I have been worried about Houston for a while now. It keeps getting bluer and bluer. One of the many reason I moved out to the burbs in Richmond. I worry that if Houston keeps getting bluer we might lose Texas. If Texas goes blue then its game over as far as national races go. Not good..
It seems to be going that way, and the momentum is being carried almost entirely by the big cities: Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and Houston. Trump didn't win Texas by a very large margin: 52% to 43%. In Dallas, Hillary won 61% to 35%. San Antonio, 53% to 40%. Harris County (Houston) 54% to 42%. And so on.... check the map below:
texaselection.JPG
-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This isn't bad, it's horrific! He shouldn't even be a licensed peace officer in Texas.

Chas.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This isn't bad, it's horrific! He shouldn't even be a licensed peace officer in Texas.

Chas.
Or any other state...except maybe California. They might deserve him.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Post by parabelum »

He is a winner! Well known for his anti-2A garbage talk, as well as throwing his brothers in uniform under bus!

"“If you know somebody that’s acting with a lot of hatred towards a particular group especially if you know somebody who’s a gun enthusiast or they’re armed with this type of fire arms and they’re showing any type of propensity for hatred, doesn’t mean that we’re going to go and take them to jail, but we might want to vet these people. […] Tell somebody.”

https://www.intellihub.com/austin-polic ... guns-turn/

"...Whew! In other cities, cops are actually committing sexual assaults on duty..."

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-p ... d-weekend/

https://www.change.org/p/lee-leffingwel ... rt-acevedo

http://www.guns.com/2013/05/21/austin-p ... eet-video/

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

My wife and I moved out of Houston 34 years ago and have no regrets nor plans to ever return. It is not the city we grew up in and that is NOT a good thing in our opinion. It is just a matter of time before it is another LA, Chicago or Detroit.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”