06/07 sign ignorance

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 1

06/07 sign ignorance

Post by dhoobler »

First for some good news. There is a gas station in my AO that has been posted 06/07 since last January. I drove by it today and noticed that both signs are gone. :anamatedbanana

I stopped in to thank the proprietor and to spend a few bucks there. The person on duty had no idea what I was talking about. I pointed to the window where the signs had hung for almost a year. He did not get it. I fear that a lot of retailers are putting up 06/07 signs out of ignorance or because Moms demand special treatment told them to. It is really hard to have an intelligent conversation with persons who are ignorant of the law and of the effect of those signs.

Note to Russel: I added a comment at texas3006.com.

Note to my fellow PSC members: This is the Citgo station on FM 528 at the entrance to Sun Meadow about a mile North-East of PSC Range. It would not hurt for you to stop in and thank them.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

JerryK
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 06/07 sign ignorance

Post by JerryK »

Near my work are a number of gas stations all of which are posted 06/07. I cannot carry at work but I have stopped in the let them know I do not spend money with them and leave a card with "NO guns NO money"

There is one station that is posted 07 only so I decided to go in and at least thank him for leaving the 06 down. I asked for the manager, and began the conversation pointing to the 07 sign and I got the puppy dog look like what are you talking about. We went out and I pointed to the 07 sign and asked if he knew what that meant. I got the same look!

I have found most managers don't have a clue about what is posted in their windows. One manager ran after me and said the sign was coming down next week, and it did. I try not to go into much detail unless I see the light bulb going off, which is not very often. I have also thanked some for not posting and leave the card but scratching off the NO money deal because on the back side it describes what we have to go through to qualify for a LTC.

I know there are there are limp wristed people on this forum that will say not to bring up the subject but I do not agree with them.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

JerryK wrote:Near my work are a number of gas stations all of which are posted 06/07. I cannot carry at work but I have stopped in the let them know I do not spend money with them and leave a card with "NO guns NO money"

There is one station that is posted 07 only so I decided to go in and at least thank him for leaving the 06 down. I asked for the manager, and began the conversation pointing to the 07 sign and I got the puppy dog look like what are you talking about. We went out and I pointed to the 07 sign and asked if he knew what that meant. I got the same look!

I have found most managers don't have a clue about what is posted in their windows. One manager ran after me and said the sign was coming down next week, and it did. I try not to go into much detail unless I see the light bulb going off, which is not very often. I have also thanked some for not posting and leave the card but scratching off the NO money deal because on the back side it describes what we have to go through to qualify for a LTC.

I know there are there are limp wristed people on this forum that will say not to bring up the subject but I do not agree with them.

JerryK ,
You are fully entitled to your opinion, and we all applaud the fact that signs are being taken down, but to denigrate those who choose not to confront business owners, regarding signs shows a very definite lack of respect at the least, and violates forum rules regarding insults. No one here wants our ability to carry to be restricted, even by business owners, but being law abiding, we understand that they have the right to do so.
Again your efforts are applauded, but please don't include a derogatory opinion about forum members, in your report. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

I am sorry if what I said offended you, because it was not a 'personnel attack' on anyone. My comment was simply a 'shot across the bow' to try and tell me how I should keep my mouth shut, about trying to educate business owners on what signs mean. I am sure that would have been the next post how it is not a good idea...

PC is what has brought this country down. If DT spoke like some on this forum we would all be inaugurating Madam President on the 20th, rather than celebrating his victory. Keep in mind what I used is not really a harsh words unless...

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

No offense taken on my part, and I have no problem with anyone having a different opinion than me, or any other forum members. As long as those differences are conducted with respect, and not stated with personal attacks, I can always agree to disagree. It just seemed uncalled for to label someone as limp wristed who may not agree with your ideas. The members of this forum are some of the best people I have ever associated with, but I have had several discussions where my opinion and others differed.
I have also not known the members here to be greatly concerned with PC and I think you will also find that the general consensus has been one of great relief that the election turned out like it did.
In regards to speaking to business owners regarding signs, many on here, myself included, have contacted them, either in person, or through email, expressing our disapproval for posting them and also thanking them when signs were removed. But those who choose not to do so, do not draw my derision, everyone has the right to confront business owners or not. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

JerryK wrote:I am sorry if what I said offended you, because it was not a 'personnel attack' on anyone. My comment was simply a 'shot across the bow' to try and tell me how I should keep my mouth shut, about trying to educate business owners on what signs mean. I am sure that would have been the next post how it is not a good idea...

PC is what has brought this country down. If DT spoke like some on this forum we would all be inaugurating Madam President on the 20th, rather than celebrating his victory. Keep in mind what I used is not really a harsh words unless...
Political correctness and politeness are two very different things. I am unaware of nor do I recall anyone calling someone that might question a store manager regarding a 30.06 or .07 sign obnoxious or any other name. However, you did use a derogatory term to describe those that would simply choose to not patronize that store and let their wallet speak for them.

Also, a "shot across the bow" is a warning that something worse that will happen if the other's action does not stop. To which action were you warning anyone from continuing and who had committed that action?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JerryK wrote:I am sorry if what I said offended you, because it was not a 'personnel attack' on anyone. My comment was simply a 'shot across the bow' to try and tell me how I should keep my mouth shut, about trying to educate business owners on what signs mean. I am sure that would have been the next post how it is not a good idea...

Yeah......being called "limp wristed" simply because I might take a different approach, marks the person calling me that as boorish. Now, I'll take back the "boorish", if you'll take back the "limp-wristed". Try and remember that we're on the same team here.

Ball's in your court.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I just wanna know where i get those cards he is talking about handing out!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

TreyHouston wrote:I just wanna know where i get those cards he is talking about handing out!
From the TSRA store: http://www.stampedesolutions.com/stores ... sories.htm
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I think there is also confusion about informing a place of their improper 30.06 signs. Most CHL holders, myself included, would rather have an improper 30.06 sign than a proper 30.06. This has more to do with common sense than wrist stiffness.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

This will be my last post on this subject, it is taking up too much of my time, for a simple word usage.

There are some on this forum that have thin skin. I posted that “there are there are limp wristed people on this forum” Could that be true? I did not name anyone by name.

If I was reading that, my thought is, I am not limp wristed and he must be speaking about someone else. Another thought could be this forum has NO LIMP WRISTED members which cannot possibly be true, because there is a very wide segment of the population that has an interest in guns and SD. “Limp wristed” is a Point of View, the same as Snowflakes, Right Winger, Wingnut, Zealot, and so forth. But since this was posted and responded to… The closest rule that I approached is rule #2, I didn’t attack anyone. I used a term that could apply to a lot, ‘If the shoe fits’…

TAM if you want to label me "Boorish" that is your prerogative, and what I refer to as a point of view. Remember the saying ‘Sticks and stones’… But now if I didn’t have broad shoulders, you named by name and called me boorish, which is the same thing you are accusing me of. Except I never placed that a name on any member specifically. I could call you a hypocrite. It appears to me you violated rule #2 specifically.

I might also point out the term ‘improper signs’ was never brought up in this thread. I have heard some mention that a sign that had letters only 7/8” or a word was mis-spelled constituted an improper sign. My view is that expresses a ‘desire’ and is good enough for me not to walk past. It has also been represented there is no legal precedent and I do not want to be the test case.

jed

Post by jed »

^^ :deadhorse: :sleep ^^
There's 2-3 minutes I won't get back.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

JerryK wrote:
There are some on this forum that have thin skin. I posted that “there are there are limp wristed people on this forum” Could that be true? I did not name anyone by name.

If I was reading that, my thought is, I am not limp wristed and he must be speaking about someone else. Another thought could be this forum has NO LIMP WRISTED members which cannot possibly be true, because there is a very wide segment of the population that has an interest in guns and SD. “Limp wristed” is a Point of View, the same as Snowflakes, Right Winger, Wingnut, Zealot, and so forth. But since this was posted and responded to… The closest rule that I approached is rule #2, I didn’t attack anyone. I used a term that could apply to a lot, ‘If the shoe fits’…
Not trying to pick a fight but I think we have a language issue here.

In my day, in my time. Calling someone limp wristed is the same as calling them gay today. We try very hard not to be confrontational in here.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

JerryK wrote:This will be my last post on this subject, it is taking up too much of my time, for a simple word usage.

TAM if you want to label me "Boorish" that is your prerogative, and what I refer to as a point of view. Remember the saying ‘Sticks and stones’… But now if I didn’t have broad shoulders, you named by name and called me boorish, which is the same thing you are accusing me of. Except I never placed that a name on any member specifically. I could call you a hypocrite. It appears to me you violated rule #2 specifically.

I might also point out the term ‘improper signs’ was never brought up in this thread. I have heard some mention that a sign that had letters only 7/8” or a word was mis-spelled constituted an improper sign. My view is that expresses a ‘desire’ and is good enough for me not to walk past. It has also been represented there is no legal precedent and I do not want to be the test case.
Even if you can't admit what you did was wrong or even if you don't understand what you did was wrong, we all know it was. You've been informed that it was wrong and in poor taste and you still don't get it. No, you didn't name anyone, you threw a large net over a large group of people. Whether or not any one of the members of that group truly are "limp wristed" in your opinion or not is irrelevant and not the point.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

JerryK wrote:I am sorry if what I said offended you, because it was not a 'personal attack' on anyone..
Merriam Webster defines "limp wristed" as: 1. Effeminate 2. Weak
You chose to paint with a wide brush members of this forum who for various reasons choose not to be confrontational toward those businesses who disagree with their views concerning the lawful carrying of handguns. Denigrating others in generalities in such a manner is the tactics of the anti-2A opposition and likely to evoke strong reactions on this forum.
Your refusal to recognize and apologize for this leads to Merriam Webster's definition of "boorish":
"mean uncouth in manners or appearance. boorish implies rudeness of manner due to insensitiveness to others' feelings and unwillingness to be agreeable ".

Finally, the term limp wristed has been used as a derogatory term toward homosexuals. We have no idea on this forum, nor do we care, about the members' sexual orientation. Any Texan who believes in their right to carry a self defense handgun is welcome and should not be expected to tolerate off-handed remarks they may find offensive.

You could have avoided the ensuing confrontation over the words you used had you merely recognized, apologized and removed your unnecessary denigration of forum members.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”