John Cornyn of Texas is focused on bump-stocks

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: John Cornyn of Texas is focused on bump-stocks

Post by chasfm11 »

parabelum wrote:Wow, what a revolutionary and original idea. Let's ban "bump stocks". Yea, that'll work! :woohoo

Idiot politician.
And, of course, if we ban bump stocks there will never be another mass killing, especially in a place like Oklahoma City. :banghead:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10 ... oting.html
“The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations,” the NRA said in a written statement.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TVGuy »

Anybody else baffled by the NRA's call for additional regulations on bump fire stocks? :headscratch

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CoffeeNut »

TVGuy wrote:Anybody else baffled by the NRA's call for additional regulations on bump fire stocks? :headscratch
Extremely baffled especially when they were sending me emails pushing to have stuff stripped off the NFA just a little bit ago. Apparently only some limits are unconstitutional.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ScottDLS »

TVGuy wrote:Anybody else baffled by the NRA's call for additional regulations on bump fire stocks? :headscratch
But hey we got FOPA in 1986... ATF has previously classified a rubber band and paperclip as a full auto conversion kit and washers as firearm silencers, so let's let 'em at plastic handles with springs aka bump fire stocks. Good move NRA... :banghead:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dlh »

I think the NRA is trying to get something (National Conceal Carry Reciprocity) in return for agreeing to regulations on bump stocks. We can, of course, debate whether that is the right course to take.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

For the record, before it goes there on this board, I'm not bashing the NRA. I'm simply curious why in the world they would give up this ground so quickly. I'm actually confused.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

dlh wrote:
I think the NRA is trying to get something (National Conceal Carry Reciprocity) in return for agreeing to regulations on bump stocks. We can, of course, debate whether that is the right course to take.
Makes sense, but we have a majority in both houses of Congress and the White House. Additionally, a slight majority on SCOTUS if needed. Why are we giving up any ground? Shouldn't have to.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Is there no one who can guess why his statement was made at this time? :banghead:

Chas.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Is there no one who can guess why his statement was made at this time? :banghead:

Chas.
He's the Senate majority whip. It's not like we can just safely assume he's playing possum especially when many others around him are thinking of banning gun parts.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Not baffled at all. It is a smart move from the NRA to reduce the liberals momentum.

:tiphat:

P.S.: Why would a normal person want a device to increase firing rate anyway? Using a loopholes is what Obama preferred to do, isn't it? My $.02 is that one wanting a full auto should man up and get it using the legal way with all the implied paperwork and taxes.

:patriot:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

bmwrdr wrote:
P.S.: Why would a normal person want a device to increase firing rate anyway? Using a loopholes is what Obama preferred to do, isn't it? My $.02 is that one wanting a full auto should man up and get it using the legal way with all the implied paperwork and taxes.

I don't own any bump stocks, but regulating them makes no sense. A belt loop or a rubber band can do the same thing.

By the way..."man up"...it's not paperwork or a $200 tax that keep most people that want a full auto from purchasing one. It's the price tag. Go look at the price for a full auto HK MP5...try north of $25,000.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

bmwrdr wrote:
Not baffled at all. It is a smart move from the NRA to reduce the liberals momentum.

Nothing says being a man like buying a pre-ban M16 lower receiver for $20,000, waiting a year for approval and tossing the government $200 extra. :roll:

So weird how quickly the tables have turned.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ScottDLS »

bmwrdr wrote:

I want a device to simulate full auto, because I don't have the $25,000 to buy a pre-86 registered M-16. I bought two legal full autos 15 years ago, but as designed the Hughes amendment to the FOPA of 1986 has reduced the supply to the point where only a rich retired real estate investor could afford a full-auto. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 8

Post by anygunanywhere »

bmwrdr wrote:

So someone who wants to spend their own resources the way they decide and do what they have the freedom to do is not normal?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”