Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 31

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Reuters poll shows Beto O'Rourke ahead of Ted Cruz for first time in race for Senate

http://www.fox4news.com/politics/reuter ... for-senate
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 36

Post by bblhd672 »

The only poll that matters is the one on Wednesday November 7th.

Vote Cruz on November 6th.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Paladin
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Paladin »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:11 am The only poll that matters is the one on Wednesday November 7th.

Vote Cruz on November 6th.
:iagree:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RogueUSMC »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm
rotor wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:46 pm Slightly off topic but Ted Cruz will be in Wichita Falls on Oct. 3, 2018 and apparently Donald Trump Jr will be with him and I plan on going. It will be in a city owned property and I am wondering if concealed carry will be allowed. Secret service might prohibit?
SS has a legal duty to prohibit, though I don't know if that extends to all of their protect-ees or just the POTUS. Might want to call ahead to local PD or just leave it in the car.
They do not have a 'legal duty' to prohibit...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Jusme
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Jusme »

dlh wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:02 am Beto is certainly not gun-friendly. He adopts the usual anti-gun line that the AR15 is an "assault rifle" which we know it is not. He nuances his position by saying we can keep our AR15s if we already have one BUT he does not believe we should be able to buy any FUTURE AR15s. So, if I want to buy one in a couple of years he would be opposed to that. Ted Cruz is by no means perfect but he certainly not gonna object should I decide to buy another AR down the road.

To "get a load of Beto" just check out this radio interview:

And if you like your doctor, you can keep him...........

I guess he hasn't heard. that we are not all stupid.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 14

Post by PriestTheRunner »

RogueUSMC wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:30 am
rotor wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:46 pm Slightly off topic but Ted Cruz will be in Wichita Falls on Oct. 3, 2018 and apparently Donald Trump Jr will be with him and I plan on going. It will be in a city owned property and I am wondering if concealed carry will be allowed. Secret service might prohibit?
SS has a legal duty to prohibit, though I don't know if that extends to all of their protect-ees or just the POTUS. Might want to call ahead to local PD or just leave it in the car.
They have a legal duty to provide threat assessment regarding the functions they oversee. If that threat assessment includes the reasonable risk that a pot-shot may be taken at a protectee, then they have the legal authority (and responsibility) to ban all firearms.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3056
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/879
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-106p ... ubl544.htm
(a) Establishment.--The United States Secret Service (hereafter in
this section referred to as the ``Service''), at the direction of the
Secretary of the Treasury, may establish the National Threat Assessment
Center (hereafter in this section referred to as the ``Center'') as a
unit within the Service.
(b) Functions.--The Service may provide the following to Federal,
State, and local law enforcement agencies through the Center:
(1) Training in the area of threat assessment.
(2) Consultation on complex threat assessment cases or
plans.
(3) Research on threat assessment and the prevention of
targeted violence.
(4) Facilitation of information sharing among all such
agencies with protective or public safety responsibilities.
(5) Programs to promote the standardization of Federal,
State, and local threat assessments and investigations involving
threats.

(6) Any other activities the Secretary determines are
necessary to implement a comprehensive threat assessment
capability.
The Secret Service said Tuesday that it had the authority to ban guns from sites visited by presidential candidates under its protection.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/us/p ... ebate.html

jason812
Posts in topic: 19

Post by jason812 »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:07 am Reuters poll shows Beto O'Rourke ahead of Ted Cruz for first time in race for Senate

http://www.fox4news.com/politics/reuter ... for-senate
Is this part of the same group of polls that told us Trump would lose 2 years ago?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

jason812
Posts in topic: 19

Post by jason812 »

dlh wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:02 am Beto is certainly not gun-friendly. He adopts the usual anti-gun line that the AR15 is an "assault rifle" which we know it is not. He nuances his position by saying we can keep our AR15s if we already have one BUT he does not believe we should be able to buy any FUTURE AR15s. So, if I want to buy one in a couple of years he would be opposed to that. Ted Cruz is by no means perfect but he certainly not gonna object should I decide to buy another AR down the road.

To "get a load of Beto" just check out this radio interview:

So he claims that there were so many machine gun killings in the 1930's that our rights had to be reduced to lower the violence, then says the ones still owned are family heirlooms and are not on the streets gunning people down. Hmmm, are machine guns good or bad cause if they are bad, they should be out on the streets turning them red. Those killings were highly sensationalized by the media in the day much the same way a mass killing with an AR type rifle is today.

He's flat out says our rights were reduced and is ok with that. I wonder what other rights he is ok with reducing or doing away with?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 10

Post by G26ster »

jason812 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:03 am

Is this part of the same group of polls that told us Trump would lose 2 years ago?
Yes it is, and they blew it big time in 2016.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN12M0JR

flechero
Posts in topic: 30

Post by flechero »

O’Rourke has raised more money than Cruz, but outside groups are pouring money into the race to help keep Cruz in office.
No mention of money from NY or CA for o'rourke... yep, that's some great reporting- honest too :banghead:

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 36

Post by bblhd672 »

jason812 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:13 am I wonder what other rights he is ok with reducing or doing away with?
Like other communists Beto wants to restrict your 1st Amendment rights once he's successful at ending your 2nd Amendment rights.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

DEB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DEB »

I and several of my friends, carried when Ted Cruz was in Temple, there wasn't any Secret Service around that I identified, also no-one was checking or prohibiting firearms. Donald Trump Junior, although Dad is President, doesn't receive Secret Service protection that I know of. Maybe he does? But, Trump Jr is an adult, just happens to have a dad that became President. Had several Temple P.D. folks standing with Ted, even had an individual protesting Ted inside the Restaurant, we just boo'ed her off the stage as it were. :thumbs2:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BBYC »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 am They have a legal duty to provide threat assessment regarding the functions they oversee. If that threat assessment includes the reasonable risk that a pot-shot may be taken at a protectee, then they have the legal authority (and responsibility) to ban all firearms.
:iagree: Including LEO and MIL.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 am They have a legal duty to provide threat assessment regarding the functions they oversee. If that threat assessment includes the reasonable risk that a pot-shot may be taken at a protectee, then they have the legal authority (and responsibility) to ban all firearms.
They may have the legal authority to ban all firearms, but I'm not sure this is a responsibility of theirs. If it is, they are failing miserably. Has the Secret Service ever banned all firearms from a place that a protectee is visiting? I thought they were usually armed, so at best they only ever ban some firearms, not all.

Not that it would shock me to learn that a federal agency has failed miserably in their responsibilities after what we have recently seen with the FBI, etc.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RogueUSMC »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 am
They have a legal duty to provide threat assessment regarding the functions they oversee. If that threat assessment includes the reasonable risk that a pot-shot may be taken at a protectee, then they have the legal authority (and responsibility) to ban all firearms.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3056
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/879
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-106p ... ubl544.htm
(a) Establishment.--The United States Secret Service (hereafter in
this section referred to as the ``Service''), at the direction of the
Secretary of the Treasury, may establish the National Threat Assessment
Center (hereafter in this section referred to as the ``Center'') as a
unit within the Service.
(b) Functions.--The Service may provide the following to Federal,
State, and local law enforcement agencies through the Center:
(1) Training in the area of threat assessment.
(2) Consultation on complex threat assessment cases or
plans.
(3) Research on threat assessment and the prevention of
targeted violence.
(4) Facilitation of information sharing among all such
agencies with protective or public safety responsibilities.
(5) Programs to promote the standardization of Federal,
State, and local threat assessments and investigations involving
threats.

(6) Any other activities the Secretary determines are
necessary to implement a comprehensive threat assessment
capability.
The Secret Service said Tuesday that it had the authority to ban guns from sites visited by presidential candidates under its protection.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/us/p ... ebate.html
'Duty to' and 'authority to' are two completely different issues...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”