Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 10739
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#676

Post by Oldgringo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:10 pm
Oldgringo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:53 pm
philip964 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:51 am
I realized with this election there are a lot of people who think completely differently than I do.

Ted won, but just by 2%. Statewide that is a lot of liberal voters.

In Houston, their is clearly a majority of liberal voters.

I did my first straight ticket, but so did everyone else here in Houston, so much so that our current Republican Harris County Judge (chief county executive) was replaced by someone who is 27 and works as a medical interpreter. (She did graduate from Stanford, but 5 years out of college most likely)

It is clear to me, my thinking is in a minority here.

It will not be long before I live in a socialist utopia.
The voting age should never have been lowered to 18 EXCEPT for active military.
The real problem is that the extreme leftist have completely taken over the educational systems. They brain wash children for 12 years and then finish them off in college. Truth is, most of them have no idea why they voted for the socialist party. It was a group think effort in an attempt to fit in.
Exactly! People who have yet to finish high school, never had a job or any other familial responsibilities and otherwise, don't know Snit from Shinola are allowed to vote.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 24
Posts: 7404
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#677

Post by RoyGBiv » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 am

stroo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm
Republicans in Texas better wake up and figure out how to get Hispanic votes and suburban votes. In my area which historically has been strongly Republican, I now have a Democrat state senator and a Democrat state rep who doesn't even live in the district. And my Congressman, Marchant, just barely won.

Republicans need to wake up!
Maybe we need a waiting period, say 5 years, before an immigrant to Texas can vote in State or Local elections?

10 years for transplants from CA, NY, NJ or WA. :mrgreen:

Kidding, of course. Kinda.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#678

Post by strogg » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 am
stroo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm
Republicans in Texas better wake up and figure out how to get Hispanic votes and suburban votes. In my area which historically has been strongly Republican, I now have a Democrat state senator and a Democrat state rep who doesn't even live in the district. And my Congressman, Marchant, just barely won.

Republicans need to wake up!
Maybe we need a waiting period, say 5 years, before an immigrant to Texas can vote in State or Local elections?

10 years for transplants from CA, NY, NJ or WA. :mrgreen:

Kidding, of course. Kinda.
Hey! 10 year waiting period?? Well, I won't be lying if I said that I'd be willing to give up my votes if each of my concessions means two or more fewer Democratic votes.

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 5877
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#679

Post by Liberty » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:34 am

strogg wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm
RoyGBiv wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 am
stroo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm
Republicans in Texas better wake up and figure out how to get Hispanic votes and suburban votes. In my area which historically has been strongly Republican, I now have a Democrat state senator and a Democrat state rep who doesn't even live in the district. And my Congressman, Marchant, just barely won.

Republicans need to wake up!
Maybe we need a waiting period, say 5 years, before an immigrant to Texas can vote in State or Local elections?

10 years for transplants from CA, NY, NJ or WA. :mrgreen:

Kidding, of course. Kinda.
Hey! 10 year waiting period?? Well, I won't be lying if I said that I'd be willing to give up my votes if each of my concessions means two or more fewer Democratic votes.
Those of us in Galveston County are thinking the same thing. But our fear isn't about the Californians, but rather the ignorant hoards streaming from Harris county. Something happened there. I am not sure what, but a sudden wave of stupidity suddenly took over. Has anyone checked out the water supply? Where is it commong from? Flint MI.?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 22
Posts: 23993
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#680

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am

Liberty wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:34 am
strogg wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm
RoyGBiv wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 am
stroo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm
Republicans in Texas better wake up and figure out how to get Hispanic votes and suburban votes. In my area which historically has been strongly Republican, I now have a Democrat state senator and a Democrat state rep who doesn't even live in the district. And my Congressman, Marchant, just barely won.

Republicans need to wake up!
Maybe we need a waiting period, say 5 years, before an immigrant to Texas can vote in State or Local elections?

10 years for transplants from CA, NY, NJ or WA. :mrgreen:

Kidding, of course. Kinda.
Hey! 10 year waiting period?? Well, I won't be lying if I said that I'd be willing to give up my votes if each of my concessions means two or more fewer Democratic votes.
Those of us in Galveston County are thinking the same thing. But our fear isn't about the Californians, but rather the ignorant hoards streaming from Harris county. Something happened there. I am not sure what, but a sudden wave of stupidity suddenly took over. Has anyone checked out the water supply? Where is it commong from? Flint MI.?
Free stuff is a powerful motivator, and goes to show that even among alleged conservatives, there are those who can be bought. Add that to the blue immigration wave from other states, and the stupid is getting stronger. With every election, my urge to get away from big cities and off the grid in a rural setting gets stronger.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 25
Posts: 2106
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#681

Post by Bitter Clinger » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:08 am

strogg wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm
RoyGBiv wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 am
stroo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm
Republicans in Texas better wake up and figure out how to get Hispanic votes and suburban votes. In my area which historically has been strongly Republican, I now have a Democrat state senator and a Democrat state rep who doesn't even live in the district. And my Congressman, Marchant, just barely won.

Republicans need to wake up!
Maybe we need a waiting period, say 5 years, before an immigrant to Texas can vote in State or Local elections?

10 years for transplants from CA, NY, NJ or WA. :mrgreen:

Kidding, of course. Kinda.
Hey! 10 year waiting period?? Well, I won't be lying if I said that I'd be willing to give up my votes if each of my concessions means two or more fewer Democratic votes.
I can attest to the fact that in the week before the election, I saw more out of State license plates (mainly NY and CT) in North Dallas, as well as a number of "young adults" wearing "Beto" paraphernalia and other leftist gear in the grocery store and at some of the more trendy local restaurants. This was a massively well funded and organized attack on Texas, make no mistake about it.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

G.A. Heath
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2736
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Western Texas

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#682

Post by G.A. Heath » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:19 am

when considering the difference in polling between Ted and Beto you also need to remember that Beto outspent Ted by a significant margin, had major star power pushing for him, The media in his pocket, and a serious socialist movement in his corner -- yet he still lost. On paper, and in the minds of Beto's people, it was impossible for him to lose.

We can keep Texas red but it will require a lot of making friends and not enemies, it will require education of the public, and it will require showing people why they are better off with freedom than [not really] free stuff.
I am also a Gun guy, Car Guy, and Computer Guy and a currently former podcaster.


2farnorth
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: Leonard, Tx

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#683

Post by 2farnorth » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:08 am
strogg wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm
RoyGBiv wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 am
stroo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm
Republicans in Texas better wake up and figure out how to get Hispanic votes and suburban votes. In my area which historically has been strongly Republican, I now have a Democrat state senator and a Democrat state rep who doesn't even live in the district. And my Congressman, Marchant, just barely won.

Republicans need to wake up!
Maybe we need a waiting period, say 5 years, before an immigrant to Texas can vote in State or Local elections?

10 years for transplants from CA, NY, NJ or WA. :mrgreen:

Kidding, of course. Kinda.
Hey! 10 year waiting period?? Well, I won't be lying if I said that I'd be willing to give up my votes if each of my concessions means two or more fewer Democratic votes.
I can attest to the fact that in the week before the election, I saw more out of State license plates (mainly NY and CT) in North Dallas, as well as a number of "young adults" wearing "Beto" paraphernalia and other leftist gear in the grocery store and at some of the more trendy local restaurants. This was a massively well funded and organized attack on Texas, make no mistake about it.
I also saw several Ca. licensed vehicles, one was even sporting Beto stickers. Some were in my little town where the Beto signs were not so prevalent.
N5PNZ

User avatar

Middle Age Russ
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 1262
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Spring-Woodlands

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#684

Post by Middle Age Russ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 pm

when considering the difference in polling between Ted and Beto you also need to remember that Beto outspent Ted by a significant margin, had major star power pushing for him, The media in his pocket, and a serious socialist movement in his corner -- yet he still lost. On paper, and in the minds of Beto's people, it was impossible for him to lose.

We can keep Texas red but it will require a lot of making friends and not enemies, it will require education of the public, and it will require showing people why they are better off with freedom than [not really] free stuff.
:iagree:

Keep in mind that Progressives (Socialists / Communists) have been subverting public education in the US for more than a century -- gradually softening minds and rewriting history so that Socialisms failures and inherent flaws aren't taught or understood. To boot, the media has also been co-opted, acting as the propaganda arm of the Left. Their fight to this point has been long and they are now reaping some rewards for the efforts put in by generations of Leftists.

If we are to remain under a Republican form of government (not Republican as in the political party but the simple form of our Federal Government), the time and effort needs to be put in on the so-called Conservative and Libertarian sides, focusing on education and media for lasting impact. Though I find Trump's methods sometimes distasteful, I appreciate his attack on media bias as a strong thrust in the right direction. The rest of us who appreciate our birthright of Liberty as US citizens must capitalize on opportunities to educate and inform.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

User avatar

Gator Guy
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#685

Post by Gator Guy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am
Liberty wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:34 am
strogg wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm
RoyGBiv wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 am
stroo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm
Republicans in Texas better wake up and figure out how to get Hispanic votes and suburban votes. In my area which historically has been strongly Republican, I now have a Democrat state senator and a Democrat state rep who doesn't even live in the district. And my Congressman, Marchant, just barely won.

Republicans need to wake up!
Maybe we need a waiting period, say 5 years, before an immigrant to Texas can vote in State or Local elections?

10 years for transplants from CA, NY, NJ or WA. :mrgreen:

Kidding, of course. Kinda.
Hey! 10 year waiting period?? Well, I won't be lying if I said that I'd be willing to give up my votes if each of my concessions means two or more fewer Democratic votes.
Those of us in Galveston County are thinking the same thing. But our fear isn't about the Californians, but rather the ignorant hoards streaming from Harris county. Something happened there. I am not sure what, but a sudden wave of stupidity suddenly took over. Has anyone checked out the water supply? Where is it commong from? Flint MI.?
Free stuff is a powerful motivator, and goes to show that even among alleged conservatives, there are those who can be bought. Add that to the blue immigration wave from other states, and the stupid is getting stronger. With every election, my urge to get away from big cities and off the grid in a rural setting gets stronger.
Not only Yankee and Left Coast states, but from other countries too. They're accustomed to socialist hand outs and safety nets, and they want the same things in America. It's maddening they come here for more opportunity and then demand political and social policies that limit opportunity and only work to drag down other people to their lowest common denominator. I'm afraid we reached the tipping point where there's no turning back without a revolution. Maybe not a civil war. Hopefully not a civil war! But the economic decline is irreversible without something happening rivaling the industrial revolution or some Act of God.
"Shoot. Shovel. Shut Up." Anyone?

User avatar

Noggin
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#686

Post by Noggin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:41 am

Gator Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm
Hopefully not a civil war! But the economic decline is irreversible without something happening rivaling the industrial revolution or some Act of God.

I dream of a 1000 foot high tsunami hitting the left coast - that should help to reduce the libtard population a bit- if the population of cal gets significantly culled they will not be entitled to so many electoral colleg votes. If only we could steer a modest little asteroid (not a doomsday size more like the one that hit Arizona) into an impact zone about1000 miles due west of San Fran.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:


MaduroBU
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:11 am

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#687

Post by MaduroBU » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Economics will fix this. The reality is that socialism outside of universal slavery to the state (i.e. "communism") rests upon the theft of money by printing more of it. This process steal from the poor to give to the rich while financing quasi-socialist policies. America has accomplished this feat in a never before seen way, sucking wealth from not only the middle and lower class in the US but also every nation that uses dollars as a reserve and every person the world over who holds or uses dollars.

This process always breeds reliance upon it, and when this engine shows signs of wear, the desperate chiefs merely push it harder rather than stepping back and evaluating the underlying problem. Recall Quint in Jaws, obviously destroying his engine and crippling his vessel through willful ignorance and in defiance of their respective limits. These systems could be dismantled safely, but human nature prevents that process.

Crashes crash (versus desecalating peacefully) because the combination of greed and a desperate belief in the persistence of normalcy cause the exact people in finance who should predict and prevent the crash to sprint toward the edge while shouting for others to follow.

Economic action and finance need one another, but they can be horribly decoupled, often for the benefit for government spending and always to the benefit of the obscenely rich. Depressions tend to reset that circumstance (at least until we forget the lesson), and that's what we need: finance needs to be brought to heel to suuport the economy, which needs to work for people while the government keeps its greedy hands off.

Right now we have the government reappropriating wealth from the world in general and 99.5% of Americans in particular for the benefit of the super rich, and doing it for the highly ironic cause of redistributing wealth to the bottom end of the folks that they're robbing.


Ruark
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 1090
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#688

Post by Ruark » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm
Exactly! People who have yet to finish high school, never had a job or any other familial responsibilities and otherwise, don't know Snit from Shinola are allowed to vote.
Absolutely. I think lowering the voting age to 18 was a huge mistake.
-Ruark

User avatar

John Galt
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 9:14 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#689

Post by John Galt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Ruark wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:30 pm
Oldgringo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm
Exactly! People who have yet to finish high school, never had a job or any other familial responsibilities and otherwise, don't know Snit from Shinola are allowed to vote.
Absolutely. I think lowering the voting age to 18 was a huge mistake.
Needs to be 25.

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 5877
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

#690

Post by Liberty » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:23 pm

John Galt wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:58 pm
Ruark wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:30 pm
Oldgringo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm
Exactly! People who have yet to finish high school, never had a job or any other familial responsibilities and otherwise, don't know Snit from Shinola are allowed to vote.
Absolutely. I think lowering the voting age to 18 was a huge mistake.
Needs to be 25.
Maybe, but I remember being 19 facing the draft and joining the army. Being held accountable but not being able to buy beer, vote, or even marry without a parents permission. I was pretty resentful about that. I think the real answer is that we need to actually teach our kids to be grownups and not axpect anything for nothing. There is always a cost.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”