Off Duty draws on innocent man

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 2

Off Duty draws on innocent man

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Off-duty police officer in California draws on man buying Mentos candy - It's this sort of thing that is a driving reason why LEO's are losing the respect of law abiding citizens. I was taught in my CHL classes the threshold to draw was very high. If one of us had done this, we'd be on our way to jail for ADW. Any bets this LEO keeps his job?

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/04/v ... ng-mentos/
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Off Duty draws on innocent man

Post by Odinvalknir »

Guaranteed he'll keep his job. I respect LEOs, but my god there are so many idiots on the force. They should be held to am extremely high accountability, especially with crap like this.

Even if the guy or anyone else really was stealing candy, is that reason enough to draw down on the person? Potentially take someone's life over a candy bar?

Allons

Post by Allons »

Just my opinion but maybe he could have shown a badge first instead of pulling a gun on a guy for a pack of mentos. This guy does not belong on the force. No amount of training is going to change that.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This cop is an idiot on so many levels.

First, if you think the suspect you are facing is dangerous enough to warrant pulling your gun, DO NOT let him put his hands in his pockets and pull something out while he is standing feet from you. Definitely, DO NOT demand that he do so.

Second, even though you are off duty, carry your gun in a holster and practice drawing it from that holster. He struggled with getting his gun out of his pocket and is lucky he didn't shoot himself or someone else.

Third, if you think that a person just committed theft, do not tell them to leave. Arrest them instead.

Fourth, and most important. Lay off the drugs man.

This guy is lucky he wasn't shot. He should have been arrested and should be spending time in prison.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Excuse me sir, I just saw you place an item in your pocket. I assume you paid for it. Is this correct?
Mr. Clerk, did this gentleman pay for,the item?
Sorry to bother you sir, have a good day!

vs. what actually took place.

I Back the Blue, but this offficer needs to pursue a different career.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flowrie wrote:Excuse me sir, I just saw you place an item in your pocket. I assume you paid for it. Is this correct?
Mr. Clerk, did this gentleman pay for,the item?
Sorry to bother you sir, have a good day!

vs. what actually took place.

I Back the Blue, but this offficer needs to pursue a different career.
Or, since it is $1.19 we are talking about, note the guy's license plate and ask the clerk after he leaves whether he paid. If he says no, then have the clerk fill out a police report (If he even wants to for $1.19).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if I pull my gun on an off duty cop because I think he is stealing something worth $1.19, and then tell him "my apologies" when I find out I am wrong, I will not be sitting at home, free, a month later waiting for the police to complete their "investigation".

DEB

Post by DEB »

Odinvalknir wrote:Guaranteed he'll keep his job. I respect LEOs, but my god there are so many idiots on the force. They should be held to am extremely high accountability, especially with crap like this.

Even if the guy or anyone else really was stealing candy, is that reason enough to draw down on the person? Potentially take someone's life over a candy bar?
I believe that police officers have always been human and many have made mistakes throughout this grand Republic's life. How many police officers are there in the U.S? How many towns? How many areas? The internet just makes it seem as if these activities are out of control. If one is reported everyday, what percentage of that is out of the total numbers of police officers? I don't know why this individual did what he did and really don't care, I am not going to paint with such a brush to taint the entire force. I am not saying you are others are doing it either, because I am reading this on the internet as well. We need the internet, if nothing else to off set the major News Media, but I fight daily to try to keep it in perspective. I get angry when I read about some police officer somewhere did something wrong and then look as if it occurred in my backyard/city. It didn't...Nothing happened here in Copperas Cove, Temple, Killeen, Waco, and etc during the last year or so, of police officers beating down someone or another. Police Officers are doing well, so far at least in my backyard and as I have many friends who are officers, I know they get angry when they read the same. I was in the Military, would deploy somewhere and as soon as I arrived, the population was saying that we had done all of these horrible things. We didn't, but the propaganda sure would paint us all the same. My opinion only and it doesn't really count either in the grand scheme of things. Take care on especially stating this individual will keep his job. No one knows that. I have seen many officers loose their jobs, because of doing stupid things, it just isn't publicized because the hot topic of the day has disappeared already and the media is on to their next explosive announcement. :patriot:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Did you wonder why Congress think it's fine and dandy for this guy to carry anywhere in the country under LEOSA but won't give the same consideration to LTC who are more "well regulated" and don't cost the taxpayers anything?
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I can only imagine what this LEO's actions would have been dealing with the guy who stole an ice ax from REI. Yikes!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

DEB wrote:
Odinvalknir wrote:Guaranteed he'll keep his job. I respect LEOs, but my god there are so many idiots on the force. They should be held to am extremely high accountability, especially with crap like this.

I believe that police officers have always been human and many have made mistakes throughout this grand Republic's life. How many police officers are there in the U.S? How many towns? How many areas? The internet just makes it seem as if these activities are out of control. If one is reported everyday, what percentage of that is out of the total numbers of police officers? I don't know why this individual did what he did and really don't care, I am not going to paint with such a brush to taint the entire force. I am not saying you are others are doing it either, because I am reading this on the internet as well. We need the internet, if nothing else to off set the major News Media, but I fight daily to try to keep it in perspective. I get angry when I read about some police officer somewhere did something wrong and then look as if it occurred in my backyard/city. It didn't...Nothing happened here in Copperas Cove, Temple, Killeen, Waco, and etc during the last year or so, of police officers beating down someone or another. Police Officers are doing well, so far at least in my backyard and as I have many friends who are officers, I know they get angry when they read the same. I was in the Military, would deploy somewhere and as soon as I arrived, the population was saying that we had done all of these horrible things. We didn't, but the propaganda sure would paint us all the same. My opinion only and it doesn't really count either in the grand scheme of things. Take care on especially stating this individual will keep his job. No one knows that. I have seen many officers loose their jobs, because of doing stupid things, it just isn't publicized because the hot topic of the day has disappeared already and the media is on to their next explosive announcement. :patriot:
I agree that we should not paint any group with a broad brush. As gun owners, we are victims of this ourselves all too often. I believe that most LEO's are good men and women who are conscientiously trying to do their best for the citizens of this country, and their state. I have numerous LEO's that I know well and they are, as a group, better people than the non-LEO's that I know.

I also believe that when we do see people like the guy in this video who are apparently committing crimes against the very people that they have sworn to protect, then we need to hold them accountable. If you want my permission, as a citizen, to carry a gun, and to have arrest powers over me, then you should be held to a very high standard. And when that trust is violated, consequences should be swift and appropriate.

These are not contradicting ideas.

Topic author
baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

I agree with other posters, accountability is the key. It shouldn't take a month to "investigate" this sort of crime. (Especially with video evidence.) The brotherhood, and civil service unions all circle the wagons in cases like this. I support good, professional, LEO's. This guy, and others like him need to be run out of the profession.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

he drew on a guy for "possibly" stealing candy....This officer needs some extra training before something much more serious happens.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I can't believe the clerk did not speak up more quickly. Wonder how much the idiot ( Officer) just cost the taxpayers?

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

WTR wrote:I can't believe the clerk did not speak up more quickly. Wonder how much the idiot ( Officer) just cost the taxpayers?
I can, most people have been taught to shut up and obey when it comes to police. The officer had his gun drawn, who's going to argue with someone with their gun drawn? I'm sorry but the cop looked like a mad man, waving a gun over a dollar....I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have argued with him, I would have wait until the incident was over and called for a supervisor.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

SewTexas wrote:
WTR wrote:I can't believe the clerk did not speak up more quickly. Wonder how much the idiot ( Officer) just cost the taxpayers?
I can, most people have been taught to shut up and obey when it comes to police. The officer had his gun drawn, who's going to argue with someone with their gun drawn? I'm sorry but the cop looked like a mad man, waving a gun over a dollar....I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have argued with him, I would have wait until the incident was over and called for a supervisor.
Yep. Probably a jaw dropping moment for the clerk. Clerk was speechless. Without a seeing a badge the clerk couldn't be sure it really was a police officer and didn't want to get in the middle of a crazy situation.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”