Intuit Quickbooks Reverses Gunsite’s Charges

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MechAg94
Posts in topic: 3

Intuit Quickbooks Reverses Gunsite’s Charges

Post by MechAg94 »

Intuit Quickbooks Reverses Tens Of Thousands Of Dollars Of Gunsite’s Charges
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/05/2 ... s-charges/
This link was included in a different thread by user tomneal, but I thought I would put this in it's own thread as Intuit Quickbooks also went after Lone Wolf Distributing.
To summarize the Gunsite story, Intuit Quickbooks decided to stop doing business with Gunsite. Instead of just stopping credit card processing, they went further and refused to give them the money for transactions already processed. Instead they refunded all of those transactions. Gunsite was forced to contact all their recent customers to get the transactions reprocessed. Some face to face store front transactions can't be recovered.
Here is the link I initially found:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... d-charges/

Tom Gresham interviewed Gunsite on this last Sunday as part of Gun Talk Radio. He starts talking about it around 2 minutes in. I recommend taking the time to listen.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... ssion=true
Intuit Strikes Again, Holds $150,000 of Lone Wolf Distributors’ Money
Intuit decided to act again with Lone Wolf Distributors. They had payments to Flint River Armory. Intuit decided to cut off Flint River Armory before those payments were made to Flint River. Then they sat on the money for a week and wouldn't return it to Lone Wolf.

I just wanted to make sure everyone saw this. I don't know how many people use Intuit. They own TurboTax. I have been using that program for over 10 years, but I will be switching over to something else next year.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Intuit Quickbooks Reverses Gunsite’s Charges

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Once somebody sues Intuit for defrauding them, that crap will stop. Fraud ....or theft.... would be easy enough to prove
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

Maybe Gunsite should have picked a credit card provider that does believe in the 2A.

https://www.cardpaymentoptions.com/cred ... providers/

If you run a business then you should know how to pick the people you deal with. I don't like what Intuit is doing but "read the contract".

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

QuickBooks has never allowed gun businesses to utilize their direct billing/credit card processing. Not sure how gunsite was squeaking by.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Scott B. wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:41 pm QuickBooks has never allowed gun businesses to utilize their direct billing/credit card processing. Not sure how gunsite was squeaking by.
If that's the case, they should have never opened an account for a business called GUNsite. Although, most of their sales are probably for education/training and not specifically for guns. But holding the money hostage is not only in poor taste, it's probably criminal.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

sounds like fraud or theft by deception to me.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

flechero wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:34 pm
Scott B. wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:41 pm QuickBooks has never allowed gun businesses to utilize their direct billing/credit card processing. Not sure how gunsite was squeaking by.
If that's the case, they should have never opened an account for a business called GUNsite. Although, most of their sales are probably for education/training and not specifically for guns. But holding the money hostage is not only in poor taste, it's probably criminal.
:iagree:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

flechero wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:34 pm
Eh, lot of that stuff is automated sign up. You have to dig into the terms of what the processor can do or not do.

Business names can be descriptive but sometimes they're anything but.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Eh, lot of that stuff is automated sign up. You have to dig into the terms of what the processor can do or not do.
I doubt the terms included sabotaging a client.

Just as easily as Gunsite could have read 10 pages of terms, intuit could have not solicited a gun business... and then accepted the account.... and then processed large sums of money (for their own profit) over the life of the account... and then cancelled the account in a completely unprofessional manner... and held assets not belonging to them... and purposely reversing legal transactions... calculated to hurt them financially. I'd love to be on that jury!

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

flechero wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:25 pm
I doubt the terms included sabotaging a client.

Just as easily as Gunsite could have read 10 pages of terms, intuit could have not solicited a gun business... and then accepted the account.... and then processed large sums of money (for their own profit) over the life of the account... and then cancelled the account in a completely unprofessional manner... and held assets not belonging to them... and purposely reversing legal transactions... calculated to hurt them financially. I'd love to be on that jury!
Quickbooks doesn't really solicit specific businesses. You starti looking at accounting software, or your accountant says "run this" and they help you manage the package. At some point, anybody using their software looks at their CC processing and the integration it offers.

Knowing the issues w/ firearms sales and CC processing--like everybody else in this industry--I called them for clarification. Quick phone call got the answer I needed and I stayed with one of the 2A friendly outfits the NRA Business Alliances recommends.

Topic author
MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

If all they had done was just drop them and stop accept new CC transactions, I doubt anyone would care beyond the "Intuit is anti-gun" angle. Not sending them the money for the transactions already done is what went over the top.

The Lone Wolf/Flint River issue I can almost see more as a bureaucratic mix-up. If none of the local managers think they have the authority to go off the normal script and refund the money, it certainly could have taken a week for someone to make a decision.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:59 pm sounds like fraud or theft by deception to me.....
What did they steal? The funds were returned to the credit card holders.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

BBYC wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:20 pm
JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:59 pm sounds like fraud or theft by deception to me.....
They stole the funds that were rightfully the property of the vendor because the goods/services had been provided and the credit card payments authorized by the buyers. If I order a stereo and then Visa just gives me the money back, but I keep the item, then they have stolen the vendor's payment.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I guess it is arguing over definitions. Because of Intuit's actions, Gunsite has lost money. They lost the revenue from the purchases they did not have contact information for. They also lost man hours due to all their people that had to spend time contacting customers to redo the credit card charges with a new service. Also, some people didn't want to reauthorize payments until they saw their CC statement showing the credit. I don't know if that is theft, but I think it is actionable.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Services had already been rendered or goods transferred.
Those funds no longer belonged to the credit card holders. I don't see it as any different from Intuit keeping the funds for themselves, or giving them to some random third party.
Of course IANAL, just a simple redneck operating on his sense of right and wrong. :tiphat:

So, hypothetical situation. YOU work for Company X, and they pay by direct deposit into your account with Bank Y. Bank Y is a fully owned subsidiary of the George Soros conglomerate. The conglomerate is apprised of a social media post of you attending the NRA Convention, so they start routing your employer's payroll transfers to your account, back to your employer. Just curious, would you
A) be OK with that, "because they aren't stealing", or
B) be speed-dialing your attorney and the law enforcement entity of your choice? :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”