Oregon Initiative to Ban Assault Weapons

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Oregon Initiative to Ban Assault Weapons

Post by KLB »

This news goes back a few months, but I just ran across it. I've searched as best I can here and have found no prior posts.

An interfaith religious groups in Portland promulgated an initiative that, if adopted by the voters, would ban assault weapons and require present owners to dispose of them in certain specified ways. (https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa ... t-n2463470)

The text is here. http://www.oregonfirearms.org/wp-conten ... ure-43.pdf

It is broad enough to include handguns. My Springfield XDm with a greater than 10-round magazine would not pass muster.

Do Oregon Democrats really want this on the ballot with them in November? I would think not.

The Annoyed Man

Re: Oregon Initiative to Ban Assault Weapons

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I asked a friend of mine who lives in Oregon about this a while back. He seemed to think at the time that it had no chance of passage. Outside of Porlandia, Oregonians like their guns.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Black Guns Matter!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

IF it were to pass, the Oregon Sheriff's Association (or whatever it is called) needs to come together and issue a statement saying they will not waste any resources enforcing it. Colorado passed their "hi-cap" magazine ban, and most of the Colorado sheriffs said they wouldn't enforce it. NY State passed their egregious "SAFE Act" and NY Sheriffs said they wouldn't enforce that. Any law is only good as the enforcement of said law, and an unenforced law is useless. Unfortunately, that creates a patchwork and unduly burdens good citizens. However, in the absence of any concern about individual rights, sometimes it is the only way to let certain politicians know they don't have the support they thought they had for an ill-advised and politically-motivated law.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”