Great USA Today gun opinion article. Not joking.

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Great USA Today gun opinion article. Not joking.

Post by philip964 »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... /75414186/

"Cottrol noted that crimes like carrying or owning a pistol without a license are what the law has traditionally termed malum prohibitum — that is, things that are wrong only because they are prohibited. (The contrast is with the other traditional category, malum in se, those things, like rape, robbery, and murder, that are wrong in themselves.)"

oljames3

Re: Great USA Today gun opinion article. Not joking.

Post by oljames3 »

Meanwhile, on the gun front, I think we need federal civil rights legislation to protect citizens who make innocent mistakes. Federal law already defines who is allowed to possess firearms. Under Congress’s civil rights powers (gun ownership and carrying, after all, are protected under the Second Amendment), I think we need federal legislation limiting the maximum penalty a state can assess for possessing or carrying a firearm on the part of someone allowed to own a gun under federal law to a $500 fine. That would let states regulate reasonably, without permitting this sort of injustice.
Interesting article. National reciprocity would be a good start.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

howdy

Post by howdy »

Good article....reasonable solutions.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

As the REAL Dimocrat party come out, expect more and more start to put distance between.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Bob Cottrol who was cited in the article is on the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund Board of Trustees, as am I. Bob is a Democrat, rather liberal I suspect, but a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and strict construction of the Constitution. He's brilliant and a great guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Cottrol

Chas.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am Bob Cottrol who was cited in the article is on the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund Board of Trustees, as am I. Bob is a Democrat, rather liberal I suspect, but a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and strict construction of the Constitution. He's brilliant and a great guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Cottrol

Chas.
Democrat 2nd Amendment supporter and constructionist makes him a living oxymoron. Glad to know they exist! :thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

flechero

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am Bob Cottrol who was cited in the article is on the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund Board of Trustees, as am I. Bob is a Democrat, rather liberal I suspect, but a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and strict construction of the Constitution. He's brilliant and a great guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Cottrol

Chas.
I'd love to sit down with him and chat... I'm not sure I understand how you can completely reconcile both ends of the spectrum in a single mind, but it would make for an interesting conversation!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

That very good article is from Nov. 9, 2015. I doubt a similar article would make it past the editors today.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Pawpaw wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:28 pm That very good article is from Nov. 9, 2015. I doubt a similar article would make it past the editors today.
Glenn Reynolds is a regular columnist on USA today, He is a libertarian, Law Professor, Blogger and writes pretty much what he wants too. I doubt that USA exersises much editorial control over him. Although he now has several like minded co-bloggers. His postings can be found at The Instapundit
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jason812

Post by jason812 »

This article makes a point to the state of our government and the path we are heading down. You will be punished greater for a crime against the government (prohibited possession of items) than you will for crimes against your fellow man (murder, rape, assault...). I'm pretty sure this is not what the Founders had in mind when they wrote the Constitution.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Good read.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

This article was in the USAToday? Wow!
Never would have expected it.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”