Connecticut assault victim gets 18 months in jail for stabbing attacker

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Connecticut assault victim gets 18 months in jail for stabbing attacker

Post by K.Mooneyham »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:46 am The topic is straying a bit but since we are talking about fighting back and what we tell our kids I will mention my concern with the fighting lessons. Many of us older fellers in here can remember having fist fights all through school and many times there would be a new found friendship after getting some swats or after school time in detention together.

Things have changed dramatically. With many schools implementing a zero tolerance policy, fighting will likely get you arrested or even expelled. Another big change is the level of violence teens are exposed to through media. I never once worried about someone stabbing or shooting me over a fight and I spent 8 years of my schooling attending school in Pasadena Texas being one of 10 white guys. :mrgreen: These kids are shooting and stabbing each other enough these days that it can be risky even having an argument.
People like to blame school/youth violence on guns or video games. However, something that rarely gets mentioned is the rise of "gang culture", and the glorification of it via mass media and music. Many members of this forum likely would count country, rock, blues, jazz, R&B, etc, as their music of choice, and some of those were the prevailing music styles of the times in which we grew up and matured. The prevailing music today is generally rap of some sort or other, most of it with "gangsta" themes. This music and culture are NOT confined to non-white communities or areas, either. Take a look at how "the kids" talk these days as one indicator. I want to state very plainly that this is NOT about race in the least, but about culture...and it's a violent culture at its heart.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I agree. I am also of the belief that the prevalence of violent video games combined with the increased violence in movies is another contributing factor. By the time they are 16 they have watched and participated in more killing than a war veteran. But with none of the real life consequences that war veterans experience.

NNT
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NNT »

Mandatory retreat laws go past gun free zones, and take it to a no fight back zone. BG walks in your front door, says I am her to steal your stuff, you are required to walk out the back door and watch, just to avoid violence. Surprised they don't require you to help load the guys van.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Surprised they don't require you to help load the guys van..."

No kidding! I too am surprised that the law isn't amended to force you to assist them to steal your property.

Conn and the rest of the 'no defense of self or property' is insanity...

Such goes against nature...I hope whoever help construct such laws gets to enjoy a massive criminal visit of one stripe or another and then see if they still agree that defense of self and/or property is really a good approach to criminality...

Their incredibly stupid laws are criminal in their own right.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

NNT wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:45 am Mandatory retreat laws go past gun free zones, and take it to a no fight back zone. BG walks in your front door, says I am her to steal your stuff, you are required to walk out the back door and watch, just to avoid violence. Surprised they don't require you to help load the guys van.
Maybe in Conn., but not here in Texas.

Where are you?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

NNT

Post by NNT »

I was mocking CT law. CA has same type of laws.

If national reciprocity gets passed, and even for current reciprical states, we need to know not just where we can carry, but what the threshold is for use of force.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

RPBrown wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 am Dad taught me to never start a fight. However, if someone else started it he expected me to fight like I was the 3rd gorilla getting on the Ark and brother, it has started to rain.
:lol: :smash:

ELB

Post by ELB »

According to police, the suspect broke a window and entered the house.

“The homeowner had no choice but to defend his family and himself,” Tan said in an email, adding that he “has been extremely cooperative with detectives.”
Happened around midnight. Suspect in critical condition hospital.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/07/06 ... residence/
USAF 1982-2005

NNT

Post by NNT »

ELB wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:42 pm
According to police, the suspect broke a window and entered the house.

“The homeowner had no choice but to defend his family and himself,” Tan said in an email, adding that he “has been extremely cooperative with detectives.”
Happened around midnight. Suspect in critical condition hospital.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/07/06 ... residence/
:thumbs2:

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

So let me see if I get the facts...

1.He and his family had ALREADY RETREATED INTO A LOCKED HOME FOR THE NIGHT.

2.a single or gang of burglars/assassins/thieves/thugs/(no one knows which at the time) breaks into your home by force.

3,Having nowhere else to go, but back out into the night (remember you locked yourself in the house to escape that in the first place) not knowing if you have the time or opportunity to clear your family out before being attacked/killed/or whatever. And he didn't even use an evil gun.

4.The lesser of the bad choices (and the only sane decision) is to defend your family, vs just hope they don't kill you all.

5. After the trauma of almost dying and seeing your family attacked and killed, the police separate you (I guess you can only separate legal residents and citizens from their families) and lock you up

OK, got it... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sadly, there is no moral to this story, other than to live in a place that allows you to exercise your right to life.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If you live in a liberal/communist state like conn./ca./mass./oregon/ etc. move to a free state and if you still believe in communism drop it, adopt Conservatism and whatever you do, don't tell the locals where you move to how they did it in your past commie state of residence...

Now, get moving!

Oh its difficult you say?

Hhhmmm, if the state you currently live in is being bombed by bums, bombs or bullets are you going to stay or get gone?

Butzbach

Post by Butzbach »

My Connecticut born ancestors are rolling over in their graves.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Butzbach wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:20 am My Connecticut born ancestors are rolling over in their graves.
As are mine. I'm so thankful that my Father moved us to Texas in the early 80's... I have no plans to leave!

:txflag:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”