FL:Stand your ground law under fire for parking space dispute murder

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: FL:Stand your ground law under fire for parking space dispute murder

Post by spectre »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:26 pm Hmmm...a volunteer handicapped parking monitor program in Harris County, TX.
I would sign up for that job if they paid a 25% commission. I do all the legwork and the government gives me 1/4 of the fines for my trouble and keeps 3/4. It sounds like a win-win for everybody except the lawbreakers.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

mojo84 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:21 pm Another self-appointed parking cop's action gone bad. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 84395.html
Wow. It's turning into a bad month for selfish people who park illegally in Florida.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

mojo84
Posts in topic: 23

Post by mojo84 »

tbrown wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:43 pm
mojo84 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:21 pm Another self-appointed parking cop's action gone bad. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 84395.html
Wow. It's turning into a bad month for selfish people who park illegally in Florida.
Not good for the self appointed cops either.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

mojo84 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:45 pm
tbrown wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:43 pm
Not good for the self appointed cops either.
:iagree:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 9

Post by philip964 »

https://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsaf ... _170853729

Self appointed parking lot handicapped space protector shooter charged with Manslaughter.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 3

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Drejka has been charged with manslaughter.
Parking lot shooter charged in Florida 'stand your ground' case

Prosecutors charged Michael Drejka, the man accused of killing Markeis McGlockton in a shooting that has reignited a debate around Florida’s stand your ground law, with manslaughter Monday.

According to the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office, Drejka was taken into custody Monday morning. He will be booked into the Pinellas County Jail this afternoon.

Drejka, 47, has avoided arrest since he shot 28-year-old McGlockton on July 19 because of the controversial self-defense law that eliminated one’s duty to retreat before resorting to force.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-parkin ... nslaughter

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:25 pm I'm curious. When I am driving my wife's car and park in a privileged parking spot, I don't hang a placard from the mirror as I am not required to do so. My question is; how many of y'all recognize this example license plate as authorization to park in privileged parking?

I do and am also explaining such thugs to my 16y old daughter that has recently begun driving. She is also a Patriot Guard Rider and is old enough that some of her friends that have graduated HS are enlisting in various military branches.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Paladin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Paladin »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:26 pm
mojo84 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:58 pm This thread prompted me to do some research. It turned out to be quite entertaining to search on YouTube for "illegal handicap parking" and watch some of the videos.

Be aware, you'll hear some words that may hurt your sensitive ears. That's why I didn't post a link. I'm a little surprised there aren't more instances of things getting out of hand.
Hmmm...a volunteer handicapped parking monitor program in Harris County, TX.
Very sad that there are so many awful people who abuse handicapped parking. The extra exercise would do them good.

Over 2,100 tickets at $540 per ticket yields over $1.1 million. I think this could be a significant source of revenue for cities, but I'm afraid for unarmed volunteers who run into to violent thugs in the process of writing tickets.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

According to the NBC Nightly News, the shooter was charged with manslaughter today.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Chaparral wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:43 pm According to the NBC Nightly News, the shooter was charged with manslaughter today.
He can ask to dismiss the charges based on Stand your ground law. I am NOT standing by him. He has a good chance to be get acquitted as he was not aware of the man who attacked him when he was arguing with his girl.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

These must be a lot of people here that have never been blindly attacked. During that shock, can you make a split decision? You will only possibly pay with your life if you are wrong.

Just sayin, put yourself in his shoes and remember...
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 10

Post by bblhd672 »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os- ... story.html
A black man who drives a septic truck told Moffett he parked in the same handicapped-accessible spot three months before McGlockton's shooting, the documents show. The man said Drejka began yelling at him and said he would shoot him. The driver said he left, but as he pulled away Drejka shouted racial slurs. The man's boss told Moffett that Drejka later called, telling him "that he was lucky he didn't blow his employee's head off."
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 10

Post by bblhd672 »

TreyHouston wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:47 pm These must be a lot of people here that have never been blindly attacked. During that shock, can you make a split decision? You will only possibly pay with your life if you are wrong.

I can’t put myself in his shoes because I’m not a jerk who thinks he has the right to confront people about parking violations.

Now, if I’m minding my own business and an unprovoked attack like that occurs then the attacker is likely to face deadly force. I would hope that I have the opportunity to not pull the trigger should my attacker back away when I draw my self defense handgun.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

bblhd672 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 pm
TreyHouston wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:47 pm These must be a lot of people here that have never been blindly attacked. During that shock, can you make a split decision? You will only possibly pay with your life if you are wrong.

I can’t put myself in his shoes because I’m not a jerk who thinks he has the right to confront people about parking violations.

Now, if I’m minding my own business and an unprovoked attack like that occurs then the attacker is likely to face deadly force. I would hope that I have the opportunity to not pull the trigger should my attacker back away when I draw my self defense handgun.
What happened to the 1st amendment?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

rotor
Posts in topic: 9

Post by rotor »

I personally think he should be convicted. This is the 4th time in just a few years of Drejka either showing, threatening or using his gun. How many of us go a lifetime and never will pull our gun? I just don't see how anyone can defend this guy. Hopefully a jury settles the case but I don't know if they will be allowed to hear the accusations of previous gun threats this man has made. May take years to find out.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”