3 D Printed guns in the news

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 3 D Printed guns in the news

Post by Pawpaw »

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:11 pm
philip964 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:08 pm I was flipping thru channels on the radio in the car and heard 3D printed gun and stopped flipping and listened.

It was NPR. The were going ape with the AG of Pennsylvania over 3D printed guns.

Apparently it’s all Texas’s fault as some Texas Company is maybe the one trying to distribute the plans on line.

To NPR’s credit they brought up the lack of longevity of the gun, small capacity and some other faults in a question to the A G and he answered a different question about how he was protecting 2A rights while trying to shut down this avenue for felons to illegally make a gun.

Made it all sound as if this was the number one problem facing his state.
Idiots, morons and liberals....but I repeat myself
People Always Nauseatingly Scared In Every Situation (PANSIES)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

In case anyone doesn't get the gravity of this situation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/us/p ... trump.html
Mr. Blumenthal and Mr. Markey were among a group of Democrats who announced they were introducing two separate bills related to 3-D guns: one that would bar the manufacture and sale of any untraceable weapon, and another that would prohibit the online publication of blueprints for the plastic guns.
...80% lowers...

And, this isn't only a 2nd amendment issue. This is a censorship issue, a 1st amendment issue. If they can block the release of these files, who's to say they can't start blocking other types of files? Fahrenheit 451 kind of stuff.

Also, one federal judge today ruled to allow defcad.org to stay up, while another ruled it had to be taken down. So on day 1, we have a disagreement in the court system.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Allons
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Allons »

It's amazing, how the states with the strictest gun laws are the ones complaining. Criminals already have enough cheap guns in those states they can get their hands on. I don't think they will be wasting money on this.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Tempest in a Teapot , The start up cost you could buy a small arsenal! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 pm In case anyone doesn't get the gravity of this situation:

Mr. Blumenthal and Mr. Markey were among a group of Democrats who announced they were introducing two separate bills related to 3-D guns: one that would bar the manufacture and sale of any untraceable weapon, and another that would prohibit the online publication of blueprints for the plastic guns.
...80% lowers...

And, this isn't only a 2nd amendment issue. This is a censorship issue, a 1st amendment issue. If they can block the release of these files, who's to say they can't start blocking other types of files? Fahrenheit 451 kind of stuff.

Also, one federal judge today ruled to allow defcad.org to stay up, while another ruled it had to be taken down. So on day 1, we have a disagreement in the court system.
They need to stop worrying about criminals with illegally obtained firearms and start worrying about patriots with legally obtained firearms.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 9

Post by philip964 »

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

The files in question are already in the wild. This is all for show.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

Things like this are useful to make grown men in suits with important titles scream and cry. Remember them.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 4

Post by warnmar10 »

TreyHouston wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:40 am Computer, 3D printer, material and program would cost 1000’s. Buying a gun off the street thats serial number has been filed off is less than $100.
What do you think criminals will use :confused5
Actually you can get this done for 100's not 1000's but point taken.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I would be more worried about using a 3-D printer to make untraceable plastic straws.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Chicken Little Syndrome.

But beyond that... and as many have already alluded to, your typical "hood rat" isn't going to be getting ahold of these anytime soon. To get setup your going to need at least.

1. Computer
2. 3d printer decent enough to handle the tolerances needed.
3. Material knowledge on which filament you should use
4. Computer / graphic software / 3d printer software knowledge

What typical bad guy is going to invest that kind of money and learning curve when (again as others have said) they can go to the streets and pick up a real gun for a couple hundred bucks...

And, unless they utilize a more specialized 3d printer that accepts some pretty expensive and exotic filament, that gun is going to be good for what. about 1 maybe 2 shots before it blows up in their faces... I would rather a bad guy come at me with a plastic gun that has a better chance at hurting them than me than a bad guy with a regular manufactured handgun...

I can't wait for the fully semi-automatic single shot assault rifle pistol version to come out... :banghead:

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Exactly. I can't imagine the average semi-literate high school dropout street punk setting up thousands of dollars of hardware and printing a plastic gun that will fire one shot and blow up in your face. Maybe it'll fire a .22 short, sort of like a starter's pistol.

The 3d printers that can do metal (aluminum) START at over $10,000 for the printer alone. As always, this is just politicians posing for the cameras and making themselves look brave, painting pictures of somebody jerking a ready-to-fire AR15 out of his printer and going out and committing a mass murder. :roll:
-Ruark

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Why spend all that money to 3D print a polymer AR lower when you can buy an 80% polymer lower for $20 and finish it with a Dremel, or hand tools if you're bored.

http://www.eparmory.com/COLOR-OF-THE-WEEK_p_755.html
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

rotor

Post by rotor »

TexasJohnBoy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 pm In case anyone doesn't get the gravity of this situation:

...80% lowers...

At least someone realizes that this is not a gun issue. Can an individual release their intellectual property to the masses or does the government have the right to censor it? It's not about plastic guns. It's freedom of speech.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 9

Post by philip964 »

https://gunfreezone.net/index.php/2018/ ... /#comments

So I saw the 3D gun in yellow. It’s so much prettier in yellow than the UN blue.

Trying to find it Huffington Post led me indirectly here where you can download guns or viruses.

It said there are plans for AR 15’s AK47 or their one shot .380.

So the 3D gun is not only one shot but is a .380.

Didn’t the Allies drop thousands of one shot guns into France? Weren’t they .45’s at least?

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”