CC at a high school tennis court?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CC at a high school tennis court?

Post by Scott B. »

Interestingly vague, "...on or about the license holder’s person...".

In a vehicle, I usually tell my students that it's 'within arm's reach' or 'easily accessed.' On our hypothetical tennis court, it's basically up to the interpretation of the responding officer, the detectives, and ultimately the prosecutors and whatever they tell the grand jury to think.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Scott B. wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 pm Interestingly vague, "...on or about the license holder’s person...".

In a vehicle, I usually tell my students that it's 'within arm's reach' or 'easily accessed.' On our hypothetical tennis court, it's basically up to the interpretation of the responding officer, the detectives, and ultimately the prosecutors and whatever they tell the grand jury to think.
Campus carry partially addressed this in that it said "on or about the license holder’s person" which the schools naturally translated into the most restrictive way possible as "on you are within immediate arm's reach.

Then again, it would be an absolutely horrible idea to have off-body carry and lose the bag or have it stolen so I can understand the reasoning behind interpreting it that way.

WildRose
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildRose »

jmra wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:03 pm This got me wondering:
CC is legal on the grounds. But at what point do you lose the “carry” part of CC? If my weapon is in a bag across the court from me am I still actually carrying? It’s my understanding I can either CC on the grounds or lock the weapon concealed in my car. Not sure about the legality of leaving the gun in a unsecured bag that I am not physically carrying.
Not trying to start any controversy, just curious at what distance would I no longer be considered legally carrying.
A very good point. If it is not on your person or in a bag that is on your person you are not "carrying" it. If something were to happen and someone got a hold of it the liability faced by the owner both civilly and criminally would be substantial. You'd have a hard time getting your "Carry Insurance" such as Carry Guard or [Pre-paid legal service] to protect you at all.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”