Non resident alien firearm purchase

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Non resident alien firearm purchase

Post by Grundy1133 »

Boxerrider wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:53 am
samman2018 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:14 pm Thanks for the reply, would I be better getting my ltc first do you think then ? And valid hunting licence I have this years in date, I haven’t done the hunters ed. Does that matter ?
Hunter Ed is required for people born after September 2, 1971.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter ... on/faq#who
the state just cant penalize us enough to feed ourselves can they... hunting licenses, restricted seasons, hunter ed... lol... maybe i dont wanna go hunting if i have to jump thru all these stupid hoops just to hunt like people have been doing since the dawn of time...
NRA Member

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Grundy1133 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 pm
samman2018 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:14 pm Thanks for the reply, would I be better getting my ltc first do you think then ? And valid hunting licence I have this years in date, I haven’t done the hunters ed. Does that matter ?
the state just cant penalize us enough to feed ourselves can they... hunting licenses, restricted seasons, hunter ed... lol... maybe i dont wanna go hunting if i have to jump thru all these stupid hoops just to hunt like people have been doing since the dawn of time...
Grundy1133: Sorry, but I can't tell from your post if your serious or being sarcastic, but hunting licenses serve a purpose as do the restricted seasons. Hunter's ed, not so much IMHO. Hunting licenses help fund TP&W, which in turn makes sure you have a sustainable resource to hunt and the same with restricted seasons. Otherwise it would be a free for all and the animals would be hunted to extinction. As to hunter's ed, I look at it as the same as the classroom portion of the LTC class, it may be helpful to some, but most already know what they are teaching. I fully support TP&W and donate every year just as I do to the NRA. :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Killadocg23 »

No Hunters ed required to buy a gun. Don’t worry, just have your hunters license and your passport. You won’t be able to take your gun homebright away, like stated earlier it may take a few days. My FFL has done this before and was able to tell me everything I need. If am not mistaken, it is also listed on the form you sign what requires you need if not a permanent resident or citizen.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 4

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Killadocg23 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 am No Hunters ed required to buy a gun. Don’t worry, just have your hunters license and your passport. You won’t be able to take your gun homebright away, like stated earlier it may take a few days. My FFL has done this before and was able to tell me everything I need. If am not mistaken, it is also listed on the form you sign what requires you need if not a permanent resident or citizen.
You have to complete hunters ed to get a hunters license if you are under the age limit. They run an electronic lookup before issuing a hunting license, at least every place I have bought one does...

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:48 am
Killadocg23 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 am No Hunters ed required to buy a gun. Don’t worry, just have your hunters license and your passport. You won’t be able to take your gun homebright away, like stated earlier it may take a few days. My FFL has done this before and was able to tell me everything I need. If am not mistaken, it is also listed on the form you sign what requires you need if not a permanent resident or citizen.
You have to complete hunters ed to get a hunters license if you are under the age limit. They run an electronic lookup before issuing a hunting license, at least every place I have bought one does...
I don't that is true because I have a coworker who has never had a hunting license or hunter ed and wanted to go dove hunting this past weekend. He went and got his hunting license for the first time and they didn't ask him and sold him a license. He didn't even know he had to do the hunter safety course. He called TP&W and they told him he could get a deferral good for one year. He will have to take the course before they will issue a new one next year. I have never taken the course or got my hunter education card because I was born before 1971. :coolgleamA:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 4

Post by PriestTheRunner »

txglock21 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 am
I don't that is true because I have a coworker who has never had a hunting license or hunter ed and wanted to go dove hunting this past weekend. He went and got his hunting license for the first time and they didn't ask him and sold him a license. He didn't even know he had to do the hunter safety course. He called TP&W and they told him he could get a deferral good for one year. He will have to take the course before they will issue a new one next year. I have never taken the course or got my hunter education card because I was born before 1971. :coolgleamA:
Might just be because I'm obviously born after 71 whereas he might look older. Wouldn't hurt to try and buy one without Hunters Ed OP, since you won't actually be going hunting and that is what makes hunter's ed enforceable.

Or, do hunters ed and get you some meat this November while your at it... :tiphat:

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

txglock21 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:34 am
Grundy1133 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 pm
Grundy1133: Sorry, but I can't tell from your post if your serious or being sarcastic, but hunting licenses serve a purpose as do the restricted seasons. Hunter's ed, not so much IMHO. Hunting licenses help fund TP&W, which in turn makes sure you have a sustainable resource to hunt and the same with restricted seasons. Otherwise it would be a free for all and the animals would be hunted to extinction. As to hunter's ed, I look at it as the same as the classroom portion of the LTC class, it may be helpful to some, but most already know what they are teaching. I fully support TP&W and donate every year just as I do to the NRA. :tiphat:
serious discusstion... Id rather all residents pay a "TP&W" tax, and just get rid of licensing... people have been feeding themselves for millennia thru hunting. I understand the need for preservation and conservation which is why they have seasons and bag limits but licensing just seems like its useless when they could get more revenue if they just tacked on a tax on everyones pay checks like they do for everything else. in my opinion its everyones job to preserve the wildlife and forests. not just those of us who choose to hunt and/or fish... and if they taxed everyone, maybe then i wouldnt get so mad when i see litter on the ground at lakes and in state parks.
NRA Member

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Killadocg23 »

No sir, you don’t. I am in my mid 20’s and I walk right into Walmart and buy a 25$ hunting license no questions asked here in texas.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

I would think a Texas LTC card would be a real treasure for a guy from the UK to show off to friends back home.

Topic author
samman2018
Posts in topic: 12

Post by samman2018 »

So I have some info for you guys, I applied for my ltc on Tuesday uploaded my documents chl 100, hunters license , i94, visa page. I had my fingerprints done Wednesday morning at like 10:30 and yesterday all my checks where green and my ltc is ready to be mailed :shock:, I cannot believe how fast it has been processed. The only thing I can think of is that because of my immigration status my fingerprints are all over the fbi data base so a super quick match, and no criminal history, this must be an chl record time,literally 2 days. That’s crazy right, I feel bad that is faster than us citizens. God bless Texas and god bless the USA 🇺🇸

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

samman2018 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:17 am So I have some info for you guys, I applied for my ltc on Tuesday uploaded my documents chl 100, hunters license , i94, visa page. I had my fingerprints done Wednesday morning at like 10:30 and yesterday all my checks where green and my ltc is ready to be mailed :shock:, I cannot believe how fast it has been processed. The only thing I can think of is that because of my immigration status my fingerprints are all over the fbi data base so a super quick match, and no criminal history, this must be an chl record time,literally 2 days. That’s crazy right, I feel bad that is faster than us citizens. God bless Texas and god bless the USA 🇺🇸
Congrats samman. :tiphat:

Just curious, when did you take your LTC class?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
samman2018

Post by samman2018 »

So I took my class August 25th, I had thought about applying straight away but was concerned about being declined so sat on it for a little while. Looks like my concern was misplaced worked out super fast

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

samman2018 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:43 am So I took my class August 25th, I had thought about applying straight away but was concerned about being declined so sat on it for a little while. Looks like my concern was misplaced worked out super fast
Great! Yeah, mine went through quickly also, possibly due to being a former LEO, and having a Security clearance.

Have you picked out your carry gun yet?

Topic author
samman2018

Post by samman2018 »

So just waiting for my licence before I buy, I am correct in thinking I now don’t have to do a background check ? What actually happens when you show ltc process wise ?. I’m thinking a Glock 19, it’s what I’m most familiar with going to add some after market items to it also. I’ve been told that the smith and Wesson sd9ve is a great firearm, but I’ve never fired one.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

samman2018 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:14 am So just waiting for my licence before I buy, I am correct in thinking I now don’t have to do a background check ? What actually happens when you show ltc process wise ?. I’m thinking a Glock 19, it’s what I’m most familiar with going to add some after market items to it also. I’ve been told that the smith and Wesson sd9ve is a great firearm, but I’ve never fired one.
You will still fill out the 4473 form, (you can actually download the form, and fill out everything except your signature, and the firearm info) You will need your Texas ID, along with your LTC, and your non-resident alien ID. There is a section on the form, where they will fill in your LTC and alien, info.
Then you will just pay for the gun and take it home.

Here is the form: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473- ... 9/download

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”